Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    stevep wrote: »
    I wish it wasn't so hot in the rooms. Some of these systems required time to tell if you would find them tiring living with them.

It was nice to meet some people that have only been words on a screen and give them a voice.

Good to meet you Steve! And your better half! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited April 2019
    For those of you that were on the fence about scansonic speakers, take the plunge, they are well worth it.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    verb wrote: »
    So while at Axpona, @joecoulson and I were talking, among other things, music genres. Little did I know, that sneaky guy, he ordered a CD that he thought I would like. Got home today and it was sitting on the front porch!
    md0vbd73ad4b.jpg
    Rufus Du Sol is rocking in Verb's office! Thank you very much Joe! :smile: And, BTW, I love it!

My pleasure Dave. Glad you like it.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Clipdat wrote: »
    ip5sk4m4b45z.jpg

This was my favorite room at the show.

The system sounded really good in the sweet spot.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I heard both last year these have an intoxicating sweet spot.

"Intoxicating" is a great word to describe it. I literally felt like I was on a musical high for 90 minutes.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    F1nut wrote: »
    3wasuoqm91d5.jpg

These High Fidelity Cables RCAs are 69k.

Those cables would cause more than a few heads at AK to explode.

Id pay to see that lol
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited April 2019
    I left at 4 on the way out I run into Mario with a Elac Phono Pre in his hands he won it in the Elac room so the last person I said goodbye to was Mario and he was grinning ear to ear with that Prize.
    Post edited by gudnoyez on
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • joecoulson
    That’s great!! Congrats to him
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Those of you who are home from the show now, is music ruined for you, or were there enough crappy rooms there that you are still able to enjoy your current gearsets?
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    Me and Marvin won Parasound shirts, unfortunately they only had mediums left so they are sending ours to us.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• gudnoyez
    yl2itgkq7yec.jpg
    wpyeotkybrbd.jpg
    k4mol3pjfwa0.jpg

My three favorite rooms
    Skips room sounded great a lot of people seemed pretty impressed and I was one of them.
    Jim Salks room
    The Parasound room.

Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• pitdogg2
    Man lucky you twice shirts and able to get into the Parasound room. That room was so packed yesterday.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Can't believe there's only an hour of show left. I need more time!

Agreed. Even with a 3 day pass, its very hard to see it all.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Thank you guys for all the pics and comments. It’s been fun living vicariously through your adventures!
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • joecoulson
    msg wrote: »
    Those of you who are home from the show now, is music ruined for you, or were there enough crappy rooms there that you are still able to enjoy your current gearsets?

Because there were so many sucky rooms (more than half for my luck of the draw) it gave me a renewed appreciation for my own system. Listening to it now with tracks heard at the show.
  • msg
    Has anyone heard from Drew? Last I read he was seen climbing into one of the Scaena gear travel cases.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Man lucky you twice shirts and able to get into the Parasound room. That room was so packed yesterday.

Yeah the Parasound room was busy everytime I went by it so this afternoon I waited to get in and spent quite sometime in there a great sounding room packed for a reason.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• pitdogg2
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I left at 4 on the way out I run into Mario with a Elac Phono Pre in his hands he won it in the Elac room so the last person I said goodbye to was Mario and he was grinning ear to ear with that Prize.

I like Mario he is a hoot! Great guy couldn't happen to a better person.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Not at all! It really exposed me to what’s out there! Lots of very cool stuff! A lot out of my league! Kinda like when you go to an auto show and see the Bugatti or other exotic, nice to look at dream! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Dang it! Mario is good people. Had a blast with him last year.
    A tip o' the hat to Drew and all the pics. Steve... We gotta catch up next time I'm back in Iowa. Glad to know your truck floats on the river where the streets used to be... :D
  • msg
    verb wrote: »

Not at all! It really exposed me to what’s out there! Lots of very cool stuff! A lot out of my league! Kinda like when you go to an auto show and see the Bugatti or other exotic, nice to look at dream! :smile:
    Dave, that's exactly what I was thinking. Except that instead of just getting to look at the cars, being at AXPONA could be kind of like taking an enthusiastic ride in one of those cars. But anyway, good to hear there's no feeling dumpy. I have to credit some of that at least to all the obsession, knowledge share, and experience here. So strange to hear about the crappy rooms at an event like that from some of those names, but cool to hear how the guys homed in on it pretty quickly. Says a lot for what we learn here, I think?
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    When I go to one of these shows, I first do some intense listening of my own rig, then I compare those impressions with what I hear at the show. So far I have not come away impressed enough to see a need to spend more coin, but I do identify areas I can tweak...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Has anyone heard from Drew? Last I read he was seen climbing into one of the Scaena gear travel cases.

The owner was great, and played some great music.

We stayed until past show closing listening to songs. He said he would normally have played music for us for another hour or two, if it wasnt for the snowy weather.
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2019
    I forgot to mention in my earlier "audio celebrity sightings" post, that on Thursday night I got to meet and have a 20 minute conversation with Sean from ZeroFidelity. Best YouTube audio reviews, in my opinion. I literally have zero desire to watch other people's reviews after watching his.

He has an uncanny ability to coherently describe in great detail the subtle nuances and details about a product, while doing it into a camera. He makes it look easy and it's anything but.

Was insightful to talk to him about the hobby and about reviewing products. I had hoped to run into him again at the show but didn't see him all weekend.

But still, I very much enjoyed meeting him.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    There is no need for a moderator.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    BlueFox wrote: »
    There is no need for a moderator.

Thank you for your thoughts on the situation. However, I politely disagree.

At the very least, a moderator is needed to remove spam posts. And also, ideally, to enforce egregious and obvious violations of the forum's rules and guidelines.

Forum moderators can also serve to prevent rules violations before they occur, and also defuse tense situations or arguments.

I've been posting on forums for over 20 years and in my experience, good moderators are a positive thing.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2019
    A good mod would have things running so well they could be a ghost. The problem we have had with moderators is on occasion, they became a part of the problem rather than simply stay in the background.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson