Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    joecoulson wrote: »
    For you @SCompRacer

3j26ps054mfd.jpeg

That room sounded really good. It was one of those few rooms you could sit and lose track of the time.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited April 2019
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I was very disappointed in the Modwright room

Ivan, which one? Modwright had three. We liked the one with the long grey or white haired older guy. Cant recall which room. Ask Aaron. He's younger better memory.

Better mammary? Who are you?

Ya - had to be the one with the older guy with the grey hair. Very simple but nice setup. I think it was something on 3rd or 5th floor. TT towards the back left and typically was playing stuff straight from a CD player.

Of course, Rich's and my opinions are the only ones that matter here. So you better agree! :D
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    indyhawg wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the Carver room to meet & talk with the esteemed Frank Malik???

:D:p>:)
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I stopped in - he really needs to just play tunes and STFU.

I’m not a fan of that line array but I’d bet the amps are good.

But for cryin out loud. Play tunes and quit talking!!!

Yes about 6 of us went in to listen not once but twice in about 30min. all we got to hear was how great FRANK was and how lucky Bob was to have him as a partner. If you listen to Frank as Frank tells it, he owns the company and Bob Carver is Franks employee. Because Frank is SOOOO GREAT and the audio world is sooo lucky to have him bring us all the best audio gear because if it wasn't for FRANK the audio world would not have 3/4 of the gear it has. HOW EMBARRESING for Mr. Bob Carver. I thought about introducing myself to him but I didn't want to PUKE on his shoes. Trust me folks it WAS that bad.
    The guy is so full of himself I just do not know how he makes it through doorways!!

Frank if you see this remember this you asked to come by and say hi but we couldn't get a word in. You literally need to shut your mouth and let the product speak for itself.

If he did not have enough to BS about, his story of Bob's $10 wig was over the top. I doubt if anyone came to AXPONA to hear about how much Bob's net worth is or how preferences for cheap toupee prior to the time before he started shaving his head. I am curious just how much music got played in that room.

Yep that was so tacky.
    I feel so bad reading all this because I consider Bob a friend. Part of me wants to pick up the phone and tell him all of this, but I was not there to hear it first-hand. While I feel he should be made aware that his trusted partner is using his name in a manner that makes him look like a fool, I don’t know how I could do so without blowing up his business or being told to never call him again.... if some of you would PM me your experiences in detail, I will figure out some way to pass those along to him in a tactful way that allows him to make some decisions without ruining everything for him yet again.

I will keep everything confidential, including sources, unless you allow me to forward your contact information directly to Bob.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • indyhawg
    erniejade wrote: »
    @Clipdat @joecoulson thank you both for taking great pics for the folks who couldn't make it. It was also great to meet both of you. @Clipdat your still there tomorrow yes?

Big thanks to drew @Clipdat and joe @joecoulson for all of the pictures. It motivated me to not take very many since there is a good documentary online here.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Drew beat me to the punch time after time.
    A veritable machine.
  • indyhawg
    We made it home. It was snowing heavy all the way into northern Indiana. Then it was rain the rest of the way.

I had s great time and it was good to meet everyone. One day is just not enough at AXPONA, it has grown too big over the past few years. I am seriously considering going to all 3 days next year.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    hc75br1dznen.jpg
    Snowing in April!

Welcome to Chicago!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    ulz7xdyv8g51.jpg

The Destination Audio / Modwright room is a must listen. Art and Sam do it again! Fantastic realism. These speakers were made for vinyl.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Agree on skips room. Heard much more expensive systems that could not measure up to his.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    avwkk5g61x9t.jpg

Gorgeous paintjob.
  • Clipdat
    Can't believe there's only an hour of show left. I need more time!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Great time, thanks everyone :p
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    ip5sk4m4b45z.jpg

This was my favorite room at the show.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ip5sk4m4b45z.jpg

What's the co$t of that setup Drew?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Not sure. Just the speakers are 90k though.
  • Clipdat
    3wasuoqm91d5.jpg

These High Fidelity Cables RCAs are 69k.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    3wasuoqm91d5.jpg

They look like they would fit nicely under the wing of an F-18! :smile:
    2a6qipep50gu.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    3wasuoqm91d5.jpg

"I see you have constructed a new Lightsaber..."

-Lord Vader
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    ip5sk4m4b45z.jpg

I wonder how these would have stacked up against the Carver ALS at only 18k... but seeing as though nobody got to hear them over Frank's self aggrandizement, we will only be able to guess.

• Clipdat
    Just finished an hour and a half listening session in the Scaena room. Truly a transformative experience. I was on cloud 9 the entire time. Absolutely incredible.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    ip5sk4m4b45z.jpg

I wonder how these would have stacked up against the Carver ALS at only 18k... but seeing as though nobody got to hear them over Frank's self aggrandizement, we will only be able to guess.

I heard both last year these have an intoxicating sweet spot. it really does need to be experienced for sure. The Carvers both years were in tiny rooms. The electronics and cables behind these are state of art for sure they also have those two subs that can almost knock you down it is an intense set up. I'm not taking anything away from the Carver line array but as it sets you are comparing a C8 to a C2 not quite fair. Put the Carvers on that system if may very well be different.