What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,160
    Any audible improvement over the old ones, Joe?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,047
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Got my cables. But have to wait to hook them up.

p8waek87k6kb.jpeg

Got the A1 cause they meaty
    FWIW, Joe...your meat doesn't need steak sauce. Wait...that sounds weird.
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,717
    To be fair Tom, with the new amps and these, it’s going to have to be a swap later with the type 4’s going back in to make a accurate assessment
    Which I will do in a couple weeks.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • halohalo Posts: 5,281
    edited March 13
    To be fair Tom, with the new amps and these, it’s going to have to be a swap later with the type 4’s going back in to make a accurate assessment
    Which I will do in a couple weeks.

Joe,

I did the same thing after I bought the Type 4's to pit them against the Signal Cable Ultra speaker cables. The difference wasn't immediate but, when I swapped back the SC Ultra cables back in, the Type 4's sounded better to my ears, with/on my gear, in my listening environment.
    Beautiful eye candy there Jody.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 1,047
    Beautiful eye candy there Jody.
    Thanks, Joe, but it's the *ear* candy that makes it more special B)
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
    Eye candy in regards to those pics but yes I can only imagine the sweetness for the ears.
    So, while we're preparing and then having dinner, I'm spinning the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [2 LP][Anniversary Edition]. This recording is excellent. As side 3 is spinning, my wife is sitting there with a smile on her face. She says, "these are really good speakers. It sounds like a live concert in our living room." She's a classically trained musician so I do put a lot of stock in her opinion. What she said made me smile and also made me realize that I'm very happy with the current setup so, I'm done making changes...for a while. :)
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,370
    Famous last words. 😈
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 1,307
    Hahahaha victor, that’s a funny one. I’ve said that a time or two and look where I am now lol...
    2 Channel - Major reduction complete

KEF LS50W I Rega P6 w/ Ania MC I Rega Fono MC I Audience Ohno ICs

That’s a comment I’ve said to my wife and broken so many times. I just keep my mouth shut now.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,669
    halo wrote: »
    So, while we're preparing and then having dinner, I'm spinning the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [2 LP][Anniversary Edition]. This recording is excellent. As side 3 is spinning, my wife is sitting there with a smile on her face. She says, "these are really good speakers. It sounds like a live concert in our living room." She's a classically trained musician so I do put a lot of stock in her opinion. What she said made me smile and also made me realize that I'm very happy with the current setup so, I'm done making changes...for a while. :)

I am predicting a minimum $1000 women's accessory sighting to occur soon.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
    I reprogrammed the Logitech 950 remote for this rig updating the "listen to music" activity. I hope to soon create an activity "Listen to CD/SACD" using the Oppo 203 with a digital output to the PSAUDIO Stellar GCD's I2S digital input.

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,083
    Curious to hear your impressions on the SGCD; especially being a former benchmark owner as well.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
    edited March 14
    I didn't have the Benchmark Steve..

My initial impressions are:

The volume control is amazingly smooth and allows you to play at low and mid volumes with sacrificing SQ. I think some folks would be surprised at how their pre or integrated volume control is compared with the SGCD. Don't know if you can get better at this price point.

Lower noise floor than the P5.

Nice array set of setup and configuration options. No tone controls in the chain. I never used them on the P5 and thought they were useless. The P5 had a tone control bypass which altered the sound of the "flat settings" which i found odd.

Better remote. I love the volume display.

Quality rear panel hardware. Nice look. Heavier than it looks.

I haven't started using the built in DAC yet but will soon.

I love the smoothness of operation of the volume control...I know, weird observation; and I love that it operates strictly in the analog realm.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The first thing was super easy. I rolled in a 1960s NOS Millard 5AR4 for the modern and somewhat scrawny Sovtek

The second thing was a bit more challenging. Actually it was a PITA, as this was my first electronics soldering job. The voltage and current meters we’re not illuminating but Now They Are!

ye2k8webevuc.jpeg

4x2odatcg731.jpeg

Nice job!!
    Just about to run trigger wires for the PS Audio pre and mono’s. No pix but hoping for fluidity
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,583
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Swapped out the Jolida JD50A passive pre for a Rotel RC-1570 pre...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2539896&d=1552741566

Also picked up 6 rekkits...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2539894&d=1552741552
    That Toto LP is gonna cost you your man-card... mail it to Lightman. He is really close to becoming an actual human being after decades of trying.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,078
    halo wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The first thing was super easy. I rolled in a 1960s NOS Millard 5AR4 for the modern and somewhat scrawny Sovtek

The second thing was a bit more challenging. Actually it was a PITA, as this was my first electronics soldering job. The voltage and current meters we’re not illuminating but Now They Are!

Nice job!!

Thanks Vic!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    Worked! Actually works flawlessly. Even has a nice delay for the amps after powering the pre.

You can set the delay time in the SGCD's settings menu.
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,160
    That Toto LP is gonna cost you your man-card... mail it to Lightman. He is really close to becoming an actual human being after decades of trying.
    While I agree with Russ (kinda), you might as well take my man card away as well. I dig that album. "Africa" gets regular rotation in the rig. I have it on LP and CD. Even have it on SACD.

Tom

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    treitz3 wrote: »
    While I agree with Russ (kinda), you might as well take my man card away as well. I dig that album. "Africa" gets regular rotation in the rig. I have it on LP and CD. Even have it on SACD.

Tom

That album is very well recorded :)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,613
    Africa has in the past year or so become a fave demo track for me here :) It sounds incredible on the Frankenaltecs.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,508
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Swapped out the Jolida JD50A passive pre for a Rotel RC-1570 pre...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2539896&d=1552741566

Also picked up 6 rekkits...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2539894&d=1552741552

I'm homeless. Keep it there.
    edited March 17
    Toto IV, you heathens, won 7 grammy awards. Get yourselves right. Back when a grammy meant something.