Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Drew you are very shrewd

"shrewd
    Dictionary result for shrewd
    /SHro͞od/
    adjective
    adjective: shrewd; comparative adjective: shrewder; superlative adjective: shrewdest

1.having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute."

Yes, I agree. Plus, my name is inside it!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I personally feel the archaic version is better suited - piercingly cold
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Someday I will have to try out streaming, but not yet. Between ripped CDs, and high res downloads I have more music than I need for many nonstop music sessions. Plus, the songs are at least 44/16, and downloads even better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Had plenty of time with a free stab at Tidal and it was ok. With the massive library I have put together .. I now have what I like to call Tophattidal and it sounds a lot nicer to my ears. Setting up a list and hitting shuffle ..well that's tough....ahh not. Guess Tidal will have its place for some. Not here.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Just subscribed to Tidal when on vacation last month and loved their mobile app. Last night I remembered I had an account so I downloaded the desktop app and messed with it till midnight. Love the ease of navigation. Mainly used the "Similar Artists" feature to create an eclectic array of playlists in a very short time. This morning I was looking at all my CD's and thought WTF am I going to do with these things now???.

There are 4 levels of quality with membership. Normal, High, HiFi and Master. I have it on High currently.

What is everyone here using to connect their computer to their stereo? I'm currently using this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Jack-3-5mm-to-Dual-RCA-Audiophile-Audio-Cable-PC-AUX-Amplifier-Headphone/173395128134?var=472104461700

My computer has a very good quality sound card and it sounds really good this way but if anyone has any suggestions for a newbee let me know.

Rob
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited February 2019
    @audioluvr

A PC is not the best source because of the noise. A used squeezebox touch is much better. If you’re going to use the pc, then as joe says run USB to an asynchronous usb dac. Tons of options. For a good entry level option try a iFi iDSD nano off eBay.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Just subscribed to Tidal when on vacation last month and loved their mobile app. Last night I remembered I had an account so I downloaded the desktop app and messed with it till midnight. Love the ease of navigation. Mainly used the "Similar Artists" feature to create an eclectic array of playlists in a very short time. This morning I was looking at all my CD's and thought WTF am I going to do with these things now???.

There are 4 levels of quality with membership. Normal, High, HiFi and Master. I have it on High currently.

What is everyone here using to connect their computer to their stereo? I'm currently using this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Jack-3-5mm-to-Dual-RCA-Audiophile-Audio-Cable-PC-AUX-Amplifier-Headphone/173395128134?var=472104461700

My computer has a very good quality sound card and it sounds really good this way but if anyone has any suggestions for a newbee let me know.

Rob

I am using a bluesound node 2.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Joey. You gotta get a CXN. Your ears will thank you for streaming Tidal.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited February 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    A PC is not the best source because of the noise

Noise?

For a good entry level option try a iFi iDSD nano off eBay.

Thanks! I'll look into it.
    Joey_V wrote: »

Cool! Thanks Joey. I'll check out one of those too!

Also I noticed the blue node is bluetooth compatible. That would be good for my laptop because it has bluetooth. No cables! Does that feature degrade quality over the iFi iDSD Nano and a cable?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    audioluvr wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    A PC is not the best source because of the noise

Noise?

For a good entry level option try a iFi iDSD nano off eBay.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Cool! Thanks Joey. I'll check out one of those too!

The noise floor is much higher on a pc. You won’t notice the difference until you try something better. Like I said, check out the squeezebox touch on eBay for a cheaper solution...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2019

In my opinion you owe it to yourself and the rest of your system to upgrade to a better streamer. The measurements on the Bluesound are mediocre:

pc0l5fgh754j.png

"Bluesound specs the unit at 0.005% and measurements are actually better in both channels. Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. The SINAD lands in out lowest quarter as far as DACs/streamers tested"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »

In my opinion you owe it to yourself and the rest of your system to upgrade to a better streamer. The measurements on the Bluesound are mediocre:

pc0l5fgh754j.png

"Bluesound specs the unit at 0.005% and measurements are actually better in both channels. Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. The SINAD lands in out lowest quarter as far as DACs/streamers tested"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

For the price I think it is adequate

Not my reference playback for digital anyway

What would you recommend for similar cost?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2019
    (Reference the Bluesoud Node 2i review mentioned above)

When the author of that test later tested the coax output, it measured far better; for those using the 2i as a transport only. He mentions that it's not capable of "true" 24 bit resolution....Newsflash: NO DAC on planet Earth resolves at the 24 bit level, at any cost. He later conceded that "it will measure as well as the DAC it is connected to." He also mentions that the 2i doesn't have the dynamic range of a CD...another newsflash: CD's don't have the dynamic range of the CD (redbook) standard in the real world.

I haven't bought a streamer yet, so I have no skin in the game--but I thought this review had some holes in it and lacked supporting info on how some the measurements were done. I also was surprised at some of his commentary (see above) that seems to be pretty common knowledge in the audiophile world.

I don't pretend to be smarter than the reviewer, but I ask you to read the review link and let me know what you think.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rooftop59

wow. you can get a Lumin M1 for less on the same site. Yes, must be a mistake surely...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Joey_V
    steveinaz wrote: »
    (Reference the Bluesoud Node 2i review mentioned above)

When the author of that test later tested the coax output, it measured far better; for those using the 2i as a transport only. He mentions that it's not capable of "true" 24 bit resolution....Newsflash: NO DAC on planet Earth resolves at the 24 bit level, at any cost. He later conceded that "it will measure as well as the DAC it is connected to." He also mentions that the 2i doesn't have the dynamic range of a CD...another newsflash: CD's don't have the dynamic range of the CD (redbook) standard in the real world.

I haven't bought a streamer yet, so I have no skin in the game--but I thought this review had some holes in it and lacked supporting info on how some the measurements were done. I also was surprised at some of his commentary (see above) that seems to be pretty common knowledge in the audiophile world.

I don't pretend to be smarter than the reviewer, but I ask you to read the review link and let me know what you think.

If that’s the case, then what’s the harm of connecting the Node 2 via coax into my DAC?
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2019
    Exactly.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tramsparent_
    Tramsparent_ Posts: 14
    edited February 2019
    I often hear about the noise floor of a PC (makes some sense) and it not being a good environment for a soundcard, etc; but honestly, I'm not hearing ANY noise.
    I'm using an ASUS STX-ii Soundcard (modified with Burson Op Amps) with an i3 processor and good power supply.
    I've tried digital output into a CHORD MOJO DAC and haven't heard ANY difference from the RCA outputs on the ASUS, into my Integrated.
    Maybe a more expensive DAC would provide a difference but I've always thought the MOJO was half-decent and the modified STX-ii outstanding.

My 2 cents...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The problems with using a computer for a transport usually stems from moving parts...things like fans, spinning discs...they create noise.

This can be lowered substantially with solid state drives and fanless computer systems.

But then you have to factor in power supplies. Consumer computer power supplies typically are not designed with quietness in mind. They have noisy pathways that always manages to find a way into the signal.

Ideally, if you are set on using a computer as a streaming transport, you can get significant noise reduction by using a laptop with no fans and a SSD. Running on battery, you remove the power supply noise from the equation.

*But*, I have a really nice laptop with no cooling fans (an "Ultrabook" if you will) and SSDs and it still doesn't come close to sounding as good as my Nativ Vita streaming transport. And the Vita is essentially an ARM Cortex based computer but without all the "things" that cause noise in a regular computer system.

This is why things like the HiFi Berry are so popular as a streaming device for audiophiles.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I use an HP Slice with an SSD. Only problem I have with it is knowing if it is on or not.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • DSkip wrote: »
    You aren't going to hear NOISE as an audible artifact. It's going to show itself in the smearing of your soundstage and a loss in dimensionality. A streamer is nothing more than a digital transport. It's impact on the sound may not be as critical as the DAC but it still plays an important role. This is why, even when people used them as transports only, the Aries Mini still won.

There is a reason you see high end streaming transports with no dacs. It isn't to take advantage of people but to actually elevate performance. Noise travels through a system and anything at the transport level will carry on through your system.

Thanks for the additional information.

I'm certainly not suggesting a Soundcard (mods or not) is a better way to go than a good DAC system. But as far as smearing and a loss of dimenionality, I don't feel I am losing to either of those, at all, and I'm super-happy with what I have (the main thing).
    I DO however hear an understandable difference between FLAC and streaming with the latter reminding me of listening to FM- compressed and boring; convenient though.
    Tidal is the best one I've heard (so far).

As for mechanical system noise, I have none. Celeron (fanless) on one of my Servers with SSDs.

The i3 system is super quiet as well with no fan noise.

I'm not sure how much I'd have to spend on a good DAC to hear any difference between it and my current Soundcard with a high-quality source.

Cheers
  • Tramsparent_
    edited February 2019
    DSkip wrote: »
    You aren't going to hear NOISE as an audible artifact. It's going to show itself in the smearing of your soundstage and a loss in dimensionality. A streamer is nothing more than a digital transport. It's impact on the sound may not be as critical as the DAC but it still plays an important role. This is why, even when people used them as transports only, the Aries Mini still won.

There is a reason you see high end streaming transports with no dacs. It isn't to take advantage of people but to actually elevate performance. Noise travels through a system and anything at the transport level will carry on through your system.

Thanks for the additional information, I appreciate your time.

I'm not suggesting a Soundcard (modified or not) is a better way to go than a good DAC. However, I do not feel I'm losing to a compromised soundstage or a loss of dimensionality (at all). But I've been surprised in this hobby before!

The SQ keeps increasing with better source materials and I'm more than satisfied with my current sound: (what really matters).

Perhaps I haven't maxed-out my system yet; and the question now might be how much would I have to spend on a good DAC to begin to hear any differences over what I have now.

Tidal is the best I've heard so far with others sounding rather boring (reminds me of FM); but the streamers are convenient which seems to be winning in the marketplace.

PS- NO mechanical noises from my system that uses a fan-less processor and SSDs.
    Post edited by Tramsparent_ on
  • DSkip wrote: »

I'm not suggesting a Soundcard (modified or not) is a better way to go than a good DAC. However, I do not feel I'm losing to a collapsed soundstage or a loss in dimensionality (at all). But, I've been surprised in this hobby before!

The SQ keeps improving with well recorded source materials and I'm more than satisfied with my current sound; (what really matters).

Perhaps I haven't maxed-out my system yet; and the question now might be how much would I have to spend on a good DAC to begin to hear any differences over what I have now. (?)

Tidal is the best I've heard so far with others sounding rather boring (reminds me of FM); but the Streamers are convenient and that seems to be winning in the marketplace.

PS- NO mechanical noises from my system that uses a fan-less processor and SSDs.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2019
    Ive tried Spotify and Tidal and thought they both sounded better than the actual CD....at times.
    ....Other times, not sure, and also at times, maybe a very slight softening of the sound, but never did a truly in depth comparison.

I guess overall, easily good enough to not leave any bad impressions.
  • Tramsparent_
    edited February 2019

I'm not suggesting a Soundcard (modified or not) is a better way to go than a good DAC. However, I do not feel I'm losing to a collapsed soundstage nor a loss in dimensionality, But, I've been surprised in this hobby before.

I'm more than satisfied with my current sound; (what really matters).

Perhaps I haven't maxed-out my system yet; and the question now might be how much would I have to spend on a good DAC to begin to hear any differences over what I have now. (?)

Tidal is the best I've heard so far with others sounding rather boring (reminds me of FM); but the streamers are convenient which seems to be winning in the marketplace.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I often hear about the noise floor of a PC (makes some sense) and it not being a good environment for a soundcard, etc; but honestly, I'm not hearing ANY noise.
    I'm using an ASUS STX-ii Soundcard (modified with Burson Op Amps) with an i3 processor and good power supply.
    I've tried digital output into a CHORD MOJO DAC and haven't heard ANY difference from the RCA outputs on the ASUS, into my Integrated.
    Maybe a more expensive DAC would provide a difference but I've always thought the MOJO was half-decent and the modified STX-ii outstanding.

My 2 cents...

There are so many variables to doing this, no simple one answer will apply.

We have a few computers, and even between those, one older one sounds better, but no idea why.
    If anything it has more noise, and a lesser DAC, but still is more listenable.
  • rooftop59

I'm not suggesting a Soundcard (modified or not) is a better way to go than a good DAC. However, I do not feel I'm losing to a collapsed soundstage nor a loss in dimensionality, But, I've been surprised in this hobby before.

I'm more than satisfied with my current sound; (what really matters).

@Dskip said that this isn't a debate about DACs, its about the streaming source. I went from an albeit cheap intel celeron computer outputting through USB to an asynchronous DAC to a bryston BDP-1 streamer (no DAC) though the same external DAC and the difference clear and immediate: a MUCH blacker background (which is the result of a lower noise floor), better separation of instruments, and just better detail. You can enjoy either one, but a good dedicated streamer does make a difference, even into the same DAC.

Grab a squeezebox touch on ebay and give it a try. Won't cost you much as you can resell it for about what you paid if you don't hear a difference...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    One thing for sure, and not that I want to see it, is that physical media and devices are diminishing as a product group. Improvements in SQ in streaming are happening. Will it out perform physical media someday? Maybe? Maybe not... and how much will we be willing to pay for it? Who knows...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2019
    I have actually preferred hard drive derived music more than a CD transport-->DAC solution for about 7yrs now. I realize this is subjective to each listener, but to me it was even more analog/natural sounding. I used a C.E.C. CD-3300 into a Benchmark DAC via digital AES/EBU cable just before transitioning to HDD-->transport-->DAC setup.