VTL 2.5 PreAmp in the House!

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    The tube power amp/SS preamp is a pretty special combination as well. You should try that one some day as well. :pB):pB)

I’ve got a SS pre that you can try, assuming you have a tubed amp . . .
    An Adcom GFA-750 w/ a passive setting, blue boards of course
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    GlennDog wrote: »
    The tube power amp/SS preamp is a pretty special combination as well. You should try that one some day as well. :pB):pB)

Folks @GlennDog is good people! One of many members that makes CP such a special place!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    GlennDog wrote: »

Yea that is one that got away from me years back. One of several i wanted to buy.
  • verb
    edited December 2018
    That's a nice looking piece! GFP-750.
    nykw8n68ao77.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2018
    I agree with wanting one forever.

Now that I have 555II's, the want is even greater. Maybe one day...

Is there another color of board beside this blue?
    wdmk25bi0rgm.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    Tony M wrote: »
    I agree with wanting one forever.

Now that I have 555II's, the want is even greater. Maybe one day...

Is there another color of board beside this blue?
    wdmk25bi0rgm.png

yes I believe it may of been the parts they used on the board itself not the color of the board per-say .

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/99974/adcom-gfp-750-blue-boards
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Thanks!

That link explained a lot for us looking to still purchase one on the used market.

Go USA. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    edited December 2018
    Yesterday I was at our local electronics repair shop with my VTL, for a quick check, before I ventured into the relay switch replacement. Just wanted a second opinion before surgery, if you know what I mean.

Well, he checked it out, and the diagnosis was a bad tube! The bias mismatch between the tubes was severe enough for the relays to act erratically. He popped in a set of shop tubes (12AU7's and 12AT7's), and the thing was operating normally!

Everything was operating to specification, and received a compliment on how sweet this thing sounds!

For me, some hints this newbie got, in retrospect.
    I noticed a slight hissing sound when the unit was powered on previously. Regardless of volume setting. I read a lot about it here on the forum, and attributed it to being normal. Probably a sign of a tube going bad?

However today, when I put a full compliment of new tubes in (CBS 12AT7's from @heiney9 and the spare Mullards 12AU7's that came with it) it is now dead quiet.

So far, so good. Happy camper now, albeit with a little anxiety while the unit is warmed up and playing.

The learning continues! As always, thanks everyone for your advice and support!

• pitdogg2
    yep first thing on tube stuff rule out tubes, After all most are older that you ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ha sorry Dave, I should have asked if you tried changing the tubes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Any tube gear issues, always, always start with the tubes. The number one thing is to clean the PINS. 95% of my issues (not as drastic as your issue) were solved by removing/replacing and/or cleaning the PINS on the same tube.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • verb
    Yep. I'm gonna do that tonight. Clean the pins. Thanks!

Nothing like tube rolling, under duress! :smile:
  • verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ha sorry Dave, I should have asked if you tried changing the tubes.

No worries Jesse! I got a learning going on! :smile:
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    yep first thing on tube stuff rule out tubes, After all most are older that you ;)

Hehe! The CBS's are circa 1950! :smile:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man, we all fell flat on this one. Tubes should have been the first thing to look at, we just assumed you did.

For future reference, most older tubed gear is built like a brick crap house, tubes are usually the only thing causing weird noises but that's not to say something else will never go bad either. Always change out tubes first, when trying to figure out whats up. We all knew better but somehow just never mentioned it. I have an excuse though, I'm old...maybe vintage is a better word. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Did you check the tubes to make sure they were up to snuff? Generally, the first thing to look at with tube gear would be the tubes.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    Did you check the tubes to make sure they were up to snuff? Generally, the first thing to look at with tube gear would be the tubes.

Captain obvious :D:D:D

LOL
  • verb
    No worries @tonyb I attribute this to me being a newbie.
  • verb

Ah, no. Dear Lord I gotta get a tube tester? Answer - yes. Last time I was in the drug store all the tube testers were gone! :smile:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    To be completely honest, I never heard of a bad tube causing a relay to "click" like you described, so I learned something new here myself.

All is good so that's what counts. Hang on to the Cary and do a comparison. That puppy is no slouch in it's own right too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    tonyb wrote: »
    To be completely honest, I never heard of a bad tube causing a relay to "click" like you described, so I learned something new here myself.

All is good so that's what counts. Hang on to the Cary and do a comparison. That puppy is no slouch in it's own right too.

Especially a signal tube. Signal tubes get noisy when they are worn out, rarely will it cause any sort of fuse, relay, protection issue. But there are always exceptions to the general rule.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Brock brings up a valid point.

Dave, can you put the original tubes back in to see if the issue still exists?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Yep. Will do. Right now just got back from running errands. VTL has been on the whole time. 2 hours at least. So far so good.
  • verb
    Newbie question. I’m assuming new tubes, either brand new or NOS, require some burn in time. Correct?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited December 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Dave, can you put the original tubes back AFTER cleaning the pins to see if the issue still exists?

Fixed is for ya!

Glad it was a simple fix, Dave
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    verb wrote: »
    Newbie question. I’m assuming new tubes, either brand new or NOS, require some burn in time. Correct?

Guaranteed brand new yes but tubes could actually have some hours on them and test as new.
  • verb
    Been running the VTL for past 2 weekends, maybe 4 hours total. No issues with the new tubes! VTL is running good! Happy camper here! :smile:
  • verb
    edited January 2019
    So I finally had a chance to compare @GlennDog Cary SLP-98L to my first, and beloved VTL 2.5 tube preamp!

First and foremost, I'm an engineer, so design of experiments is what I do all day every day. I try to limit the number of variables, and iterate on them to collect data.

In this test, everything else the same, the only variable was the preamp.

My Rest Rig:
    EAD T-1000 transport
    Northstar Designs DAC
    Wireworld Oasis 8 IC's
    McIntosh MC300 Power Amp
    All being fed (amp is plugged into the wall socket) by a Furman PFi-15 elite power conditioner. Pangea AC14 SE MK2 power cords used throughout. Stock power cord for the amp.

q1bxmvcwi299.jpg

Music:
    Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams
    Pet Shop Boys - Disco 3
    Deadmau5 - 4x4=12
    Tosca - Suzuki

Another tool I use at work to collate data for easy comparison is called a Pugh matrix:
    Being a newbie to the Audiophile world, I chose certain parameters whose definition I could understand readily, for comparison. I gave an overall rating to each.

dizduhhqwr6z.png

So here the edge goes to the Cary. That was not totally unexpected, considering the prices they go for on the used market. Overall the Cary sounds a bit more tube-like than the VTL. However, the VTL is certainly no slouch. There are plenty of accolades out there from happy customers of both units.

I am really enjoying the Cary in my rig right now! It is certainly a wonderful sounding and beautiful piece of equipment. Dog you may not get her back for some time! :smile:

For me, I love the VTL. I'm gonna keep her. Got some tube rolling to do, perhaps dial it in a bit more to approach the Cary, if possible. Now that I know what I'm looking for.

Just lastly wanted to mention a very special thanks to @GlennDog for his generosity in letting me play with the Cary. He is truly a special person, one whom I just recently met, but consider a cherished friend. Thank you Glenn! :smile:
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    could it be the difference in tubes?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • verb
    marvda1 wrote: »
    could it be the difference in tubes?

Yep that's my next iteration. :smile:

I mean, they were both phenomenal, IMO. Being a tube newbie, I wanted to pick out as much difference as I could, albeit ever so slight.