VTL 2.5 PreAmp in the House!

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 4,001
    Thanks Doug! Yep. Was gonna run your setup for a while, just to get a baseline. Otherwise too many variables too fast.

Newbie question. When I swap out the tubes, I'm powering down, unplugging, but do I let the pre settle for a while? Just want to be careful.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,267
    I just let the tubes cool off for a few min. I used a piece of paper towel to remove the tubes, tried to avoid oil from fingers to get on glass.

I dont know if that's detrimental, but basing on headlight bulbs I was going on the same principal.

Also as a precaution...just be super careful not to poke the pin sockets with anything metallic. Unplugged, even for days, the caps will hold sufficient juice to light you up..or even worse. The energy stored can be lethal.

If you ever feel you need to check tension or clean the sockets, make sure you know what you're doing and use a non-metallic pick or similar.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,959
    gmcman wrote: »
    I just let the tubes cool off for a few min. I used a piece of paper towel to remove the tubes, tried to avoid oil from fingers to get on glass.

I dont know if that's detrimental, but basing on headlight bulbs I was going on the same principal.

I don't think that oils from your skin have any detrimental effect, but if you're looking to avoid it, standard nitrile gloves certainly work:

Disposable-nitrile-gloves-blue.jpg_640x640.jpg
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,594
    Hey Dave,
    Local guy, er well . . . he's in Michigan. If you're in need of quality tubes, check out Andy at Vintage Tube Services

(616) 454-3467

vintageTubeServices.com

no afil, but I've had great experience with him
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    DAC North Star Design Supremo
    Source PSA PWT & Oppo 105
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Pre Cary SLP-98 F1
    Center Salk HT2C
    Wires MIT S3.3
    PSA PC AC-12
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,267
    edited October 3
    Have you tried the bugle boys yet? I don't know what color the pins are supposed to be on those but it looks like they could possibly use a good cleaning.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,899
    Short plate w/large halo are just about as good as the long plates. Make sure and clean the PINS on all your tubes. DeOxit and a swab stick and little elbow grease does wonders.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    Hi Doug - Have not yet. But thanks for the advice! Will do!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Short plate w/large halo are just about as good as the long plates. Make sure and clean the PINS on all your tubes. DeOxit and a swab stick and little elbow grease does wonders.

H9

Will do! Thanks!
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

DeOxit newbie here. What formula should I use? There’s a bunch it seems.
    Why not try ~99% isopropyl alcohol first, and see how that goes?
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Why not try ~99% isopropyl alcohol first, and see how that goes?

Good idea, but I drank it all up! :smile:
    edited October 6
    I fill my car with E85 these days, as I'm running a FlexFuel kit and custom tune. It's kindof funny to think that my car is running on an 80/20 mix of alcohol/gasoline.

I quit drinking the stuff, and now run my car on it instead! :)
    Sorry my brother! I know you did. Bad joke! I for sure will give it a try!
    Shout out to Brock @heiney9 for another set of 12AU7's !

Here's his quite compelling sales pitch:

I do have a rare, killer pair of early 50's Westinghouse, long black plates that are superb!! One of my favorites. Only made for a couple years by Westinghouse, hard to come by real deal tubes. Most are relabled Sylvania's or RCA's, as Westinghouse stopped manufacturing their own tubes around 1954-55.

Some reading about them

http://www.tubemaze.info/westinghouse-12au7-carbon-plates/

How can I resist! Brock my man you are an enabler! I give em a roll once the new tweeters on the SRS's break in, as they only have a couple of hours on em.

Thanks brother! :blush:
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,467
    edited October 28
    Regular De-oxit is what you want to clean pins with. I also use green 3m scrubbing pads first.
    Red De-oxit has more cleaning power than gold. De-oxit gold i only use on gold and silver AFTER i clean with red first. Best to use a small lid that you can pour some in and stand tube pins in it for a while then a stuff nylon bristle brush.
    That is what i do

The other thing i found works good is those gold and silver jewelry cleaning pads ymmv
    Thanks Dogg!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,162
    Ha....hooked another one gents, our work here is done. :p
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,899
    Happy to feed a new addiction...lmao!

I do clean the PINs on all my tubes with DeOxit red and a cotton swab. Good stuff to have around.

Enjoy and welcome to the warm, glowing side!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,322
    Staring into the tube glow will directly and immediately transport you to the other side.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    Some tubes do more than just glow - they light up a room.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    DSkip wrote: »

especially when they go all red dwarf on you :p
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »

especially when they go all red dwarf on you :p

I just had flashbacks of my monoprice incident! Thanks Dogg! :smile:
    Found this DeOxit starter kit on eBay:
    fxgrdnxhvian.png
    fvyurcj2rwr9.png
    Plus a carry case included!
    edited October 30
    Thank me later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIG-D100L-25C-Contact-Cleaner-100-Solution-25ml/322662430146?epid=2254580732&hash=item4b202df5c2:g:U-YAAOSwXk9bkK41

Keep a search going and you can get the gold 100% solution for about $40.00

That will get you started with the starter kit.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Thank me later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIG-D100L-25C-Contact-Cleaner-100-Solution-25ml/322662430146?epid=2254580732&hash=item4b202df5c2:g:U-YAAOSwXk9bkK41

Keep a search going and you can get the gold 100% solution for about $40.00

That will get you started with the starter kit.

Why wait? Thanks Dogg! :smile:
    edited October 30
    No problem ;)
    You're welcome

I started out with the little nail polish bottles and then moved up to the bigger bottles. I just refill the little nail polish bottles. The stuff is not cheap. Over at fmtunerinfo.com one guy came up with a work around. The basic ingredients are as he put it oleic acid aka olive oil. So somehow he got oleic acid and mixed transmission fluid said it worked very well and super cheap.
    Disclaimer i never tried to duplicate it but others on the forum did and said it worked very well. So ymmv.
    I just buy caig i found a quart can for 90.00 but shoot that would last me past my lifetime lol
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 495
    Ok you've had just about enough time to fiddle with your new toy... We are all (no longer patiently) waiting for the review... Not that I am going to jump into the tube pre rabbit hole any time soon but maybe we just all enjoy watching the clawing around for a possible escape route.
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,162
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Ok you've had just about enough time to fiddle with your new toy... .

Eh, maybe not. He's still looking for his left nut under the couch. Scratching his head about why he didn't do this sooner.

HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    tonyb wrote: »

Eh, maybe not. He's still looking for his left nut under the couch. Scratching his head about why he didn't do this sooner.

Can’t find my right nut either! :smile:
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,928
    verb wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Can’t find my right nut either! :smile:

Been married for a while, I take it?