And so it begins, the end of Sears

Comments

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 495
    I always loved the Woolworth lunch counter. Yes, I am that old.

Woolworths was in the UK also when I grew up. My Mum had a part time job there at one point on the candy counter. One abiding memory of Wolworths I have is when as a kid I went there to buy a plastic model FN rifle and knew I was a few pennies short. As I handed the money over the counter (filled with display items), I dropped it and the lady behind the counter let me off when we couldn't find the last few pennies. First time I'd ever been duplicitous in my life,
  • verbverb Posts: 6,864

We had a Ben Franklin within walking distance of my home growing up!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • verbverb Posts: 6,864
    OleBoot wrote: »

Woolworths was in the UK also when I grew up. My Mum had a part time job there at one point on the candy counter. One abiding memory of Wolworths I have is when as a kid I went there to buy a plastic model FN rifle and knew I was a few pennies short. As I handed the money over the counter (filled with display items), I dropped it and the lady behind the counter let me off when we couldn't find the last few pennies. First time I'd ever been duplicitous in my life,

Woolworths are still in Mexico. Not sure if they are affiliated.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,826
    verb wrote: »

We had a Ben Franklin within walking distance of my home growing up!
    9k6mqicb9wyn.jpg

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    I don't post much here about hifi as my stuff is garbage compared to most...
    So long as it's not Bose and Kraco… you are good. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 5,081
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I can tell you are a very astute historian... It was the Japanese that were placed in internment camps, not the Chinese.

If you want to discuss this privately, I will be happy to. Might I suggest watching or reading some of Dinesh DeSouza's work prior to such discussion. It is important that you understand the truth of that history, rather than simply parrot things you do not understand.

Sorry John I have three of my four kids hanging on me while my wife nurses a broken wrist. Of course you are right that it was the Japanese. An error on my part, and I apologize.

Are there are any other points I stated that you disagree with?

Ok one last time and then I am out for the night. Other more important responsibilities.

Please tell me what context justified the genocide against native Americans? The kidnapping, selling, brutalizing, and often raping and sometimes killing of native Africans for cheap labor? The continued segregation and domestic terrorism of the ancestors of slaves through thousands of lychings among untold other atrocities? The laws that made women born much more than the property of their husbands?

I'm soooo confused! Did someone say those were good things? (Duh, they're not.) I enjoyed the old Sears ads earlier in the thread before it began to spiral down the hole.
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,274
    Ben Franklin .05 & .10 ( "5 and dime" )
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,434
    edited October 2018
    Lot's of stores went oob

Gimbles
    Montgomery Ward
    Kinney Shoes
    Woolworth
    S Klein
    EJ Korvette
    JJ Newberry
    Tower Records
    Thom McCann
    Sterns
    Steinbeck
    Caldor
    A&P
    Grand Union
    Pathmark
    Service Merchandise
    Alexanders
    Rickels
    Bradlees
    Channel Lumber

Sears is just the next one on the list
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |

It's mostly Hello Kitty.

Then you are welcome to hang out and talk audio. Jesse still uses a Hello Kitty microphone setup for Karaoke nights in his man cave.

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,993
    mantis wrote: »
    falls to the waste side.
    If you don't know a phrase, it's probably a good idea not to use it. :p
    My twenty-somethings have likely never entered a Sears on their own, and probably never will. I used to buy a lot of their products, but haven't bought anything there in years. There was a really nice mall near me that opened in the mid-80s and slowly died in the new millennium. It has since been flattened.
    BTW, growing up, we only had a Sears catalog store in town through to the early 80s before the mall opened and Sears was (and still is) an anchor. Kind of like a walk-in Amazon in hard copy, and your stuff got delivered to the store.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,153
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    falls to the waste side.
    If you don't know a phrase, it's probably a good idea not to use it. :p

Aww, c'mon. You know what they say, Ways not, want not.

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,993
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Aww, c'mon. You know what they say, Ways not, want not.

Hey! Whose wayside are you on, anyway?!?!?! :p

Hmmm....make that "who's" just for the fun of it. HAHAHA
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 495

It's mostly Hello Kitty.

Then you are welcome to hang out and talk audio. Jesse still uses a Hello Kitty microphone setup for Karaoke nights in his man cave.

I'll post something meaningful one day, but health problems in the past couple of years and retiring on a small fixed income have been keeping me from furthering this hobby. I have quite a few things in the closet - an MF integrated, a few pairs of assorted Kef speakers, a pair of Monitor 10's in pieces, a 1990 NAD home theater system, a little Cambridge integrated which was one of the last Stan Curtis designs, a Manticore Mantra turntable and other stuff. If somebody cures my excruciating back pain, I'll start putting things together.

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,398
    I don't like any of you forkwits here.
    Except Cathy....
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,460
    Ok guru's, so who's next to go belly up? Target or Walmart?
    Target has a decent shot of pulling through, though I have had some concerns over the years about them, especially after the failure of their signature stores, Dayton’s.

I found some pics recently of my sister and I with Santa Clause on the top floor of their store in downtown St. Paul.

mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I found some pics recently of my sister
    OMG, so did I! :p

The college pics?! Me too!

You can have all you like, my sister so ugly, she could derail a freight train by looking at it from a thousand yards out.

You can have all you like, my sister so ugly, she could derail a freight train by looking at it from a thousand yards out.

Oh, maybe I can resistor!
    That’s what they thought about Medusa too, until they decapitated her. Proceed with caution.

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,775

Oh, maybe I can resistor!

Doubt it she's a man eater...
    For those thinks I am wrong to bag on my sister... what else can I do for a woman that ignored her mother for 35 years, even as she was dying, and withheld a grand daughter from her? Nothing but contempt for her...

For those thinks I am wrong to bag on my sister... what else can I do for a woman that ignored her mother for 35 years, even as she was dying, and withheld a grand daughter from her? Nothing but contempt for her...

I'd hit it.....
    Twice on Sunday morning.....
    I won’t ask how,.

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,775
    edited October 2018
    I won’t ask how,.

With 6.6 liters what else?
    I believe he calls it his "boom truck" whatever that is... o:) o:)