VTL 2.5 PreAmp in the House!

First of all, a very special thanks to Doug @gmcman for passing his minty pre-amp on to me. Came well packaged. 2 boxes, the pre was double boxed and padded well. The 2nd, had the remote unit and a bunch of spare tubes!

10 total spares! Here is the breakdown of the spares:

w2jxmdpl6b2x.png

Any comments on these tubes would be greatly appreciated, as I do not have any experience with them, or any tubes for that matter! :smile:

The pre currently has in it the a pair of Mullards (M8162) 12AT7, and a VALVO 12AU7 and what looks like a Siemens 12AU7 (identical to the spare listed above).

Gonna hook it up later tonight hopefully, and take her for a spin!

Reference thread (Doug's VTL journey). @gmcman please feel free to share your thoughts!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174116/first-tube-pre-vtl-2-5

Pic's and other comments from Doug's FS thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/183480/fs-vtl-2-5-tube-preamp-sold#latest

BTW, yes I am a tube newbie!. Other than the rather interesting experience with the Monoprice amp! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2018
    My 2.5 had the full complement of NOS Mullard tubes in it and I never had anything else in there. I never felt the need to try anything else as the Mullard tubes sounded so good to me.

Siemens are great tubes but you only have the 1?

According to Andy @ VTS the Brimar tubes are "ok" but nothing special. JJ tubes are Russian IIRC.

Of course, you should roll them through there and decide what you like the best.

Amperex tubes are really well-liked (I have them in my Bottlehead phono pre and I had them in my Modwright modded Sony 9100ES).

I also really like the Ei tubes from back in the day.

Everybody has their favs and it may also have a lot to do with the synergy of how they work with the rest of your gear.

Good luck & have some fun ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks Vic. Yeah I was a little surprised on the Siemens and the Valvo pairing. Hoping Doug can opine on that.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    edited September 2018
    Could be different writing on the outside of the glass but it may be the same tube internally
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Those Brimars are very late production. The 50's and early 60's tubes sound a whole lot better. Late production Mullards are the same. JJ's are...meh. But, you've got to start somewhere. :D

Get your ears on it and we can discuss tubes.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Tube labels mean very little. The construction and the codes are what identify the tubes origin.

I've seen Valvo tubes have up to 10 different brand labels, but the codes and construction are what tell the story.

So don't get too hung up on a label.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • verb
    Thanks Heiney! I believe you provided Doug support and tutelage while on his journey. Box 'o tubes!
    mkar4xbtwcfi.jpg
  • heiney9
    The 84/85 on the Brimar's are NOT year but the test numbers. So they are probably just fine vintage tubes.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Looks good Dave. We'll be seeing you later...
    Here's some other "tube roller" locations I saw on the web. B):) ;
    dx1aeahabmhp.png
    7o3oij29ua8w.png
    by3p847emu5p.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony M wrote: »
    Looks good Dave. We'll be seeing you later...
    Here's some other "tube roller" locations I saw on the web. B):) ;

You're right, Tony. You can NEVER be too careful when rolling tubes. One wrong combination and whoooooosh! :o

h0nuf2dein1d.jpg
  • verb
    All right! I must warn you, 2 Jack & Diet Cokes, carrying this baby down to the basement, hooked up, playing Billy Idol!
    b7g9io6qpmph.jpeg
  • Viking64
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Did you carry it down there with a "Rebel Yell"?

Or singing this: :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMFvx43vpw
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Moving on Howard Jones Engage. One of my reference CDs. All I can say is wow! Such detail! More to come of course, when I’m sobered up a bit! :smile:
  • verb
    I hear ya! Oops the Mrs came down and intervened. "Turn it Down" guys you know the drill! But so far, so good! Exquisite detail, improved soundstage and depth, and tighter bass. Billy Idol never sounded so good! :smile:
  • Viking64
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ....the partaking of the corn and grain squeezins....

Is that where you feed animals corn and grain and then start squeezing them?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Viking64 wrote: »

Something like that >:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2018
    Congrats! That is a fine pre amp! Victor brought his over once upon a time.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

No
  • Viking64

No

lies.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Good to hear it arrived safely!

The JJ tubes were the tubes that were in it when I bought it. I believe they were the tubes that VTL installed during the check up prior to my purchase.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The Mullard M8162 is likely the best 12AT7 ever made.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Mullard M8162 is likely the best 12AT7 ever made.

The Master Valve
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bought time my man, finally got to listen to the new toy. She's a keeper, and one heck of a measuring stick you have now moving forward. Enjoy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Curious to hear your thoughts on how it compares to your Rotel preamp, after you get some more hours and experience with it.