Reference tracks

I know Skip has that other thread going, and I didn’t want to hijack but I did want to ask what others use for ref tracks.
Mines a moving target but I have recently pushed this track to the very top. When all is right with my setup, jaws drop with this track.

oet583b4byna.png

Try that one. I dare you

How about you guys?

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Whatever I am playing is my reference. It either sounds better, the same, or worse.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Ray Charles and Natalie Cole “Fever” from the Genius loves company album.
    96difsq63b9w.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Ray Charles and Natalie Cole “Fever” from the Genius loves company album.
    96difsq63b9w.jpeg
    Awesome. Just added that to one of my track lists. Thank You
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Great thread...
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Highwayman by The Highwaymen
    Jurassic Park Main Theme
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    96difsq63b9w.jpeg
    Got a chance to listen to this today, great track. The keyboard is almost surround sound
    Thank You
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2018
    Geez, there are so many. If it's music I'm familiar with, and can easily recognize how I think it's "supposed" to sound to me, then that's what I use.

Some tracks I like...

Patty Larkin:

Wolf at the Door (Perishable Fruit)

When (Regrooving the Dream) - Probably her best album (my favorite, at least)

River (Regrooving the Dream)

Casandra Wilson

Drunk as Cooter Brown (Belly of the Sun) - This whole album is very good.

Ani DiFranco:

Out of Range (Living in Clip)

Shameless (2006-11-10, Boston; Official Bootleg)

Terry Evans:

Get Your Lies Straight (Blues for Thought)

Larry Carlton

Take Me Down (Sapphire Blue)

Norah Jones:

In the Morning (Feels Like Home) - there's an "error" in this song, see if you can pick it out (it happens more than once - consistently in the same spot repeated).

Vanessa Fernandez:

Here but I'm Gone (Use Me)

Talk Talk

Happiness is Easy (The Colour of Spring)

Janiva Magnes

The Devil is an Angel Too (The Devil is an Angel Too)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Thank You all will try those too
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    A few

The dead can dance - ubiquitous Mr love Grove... The carnival

Chicken foot - soap on a rope

Gov't mule - blind man in the dark

Ben harper - I want to be ready..... Glory and consequence

Blue man group - the complex (whole album)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    That Angus stone song is killer, the whole album is good too, the vocals are recorded very well.. Interesting instrument placement throughout the album

The ray Charles song is also very well recorded

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    halo wrote: »
    Geez, there are so many. If it's music I'm familiar with, and can easily recognize how I think it's "supposed" to sound to me, then that's what I use.

Some tracks I like...

Patty Larkin:

Wolf at the Door (Perishable Fruit)

When (Regrooving the Dream) - Probably her best album (my favorite, at least)

River (Regrooving the Dream)

Casandra Wilson

Drunk as Cooter Brown (Belly of the Sun) - This whole album is very good.

Ani DiFranco:

Out of Range (Living in Clip)

Shameless (2006-11-10, Boston; Official Bootleg)
    I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

PS, and strictly FWIW, I think Patty Larkin's live album a gogo is her best, and is one I whip out ;) for evaluating new-to-me components, but... I like 'em all.

I'd add Burning Down , Hand Full of Water and Beg to Differ from Regrooving the Dream as good evaluation/demo tracks, too (again, FWIW) :)
    Yeah -- it is a good, and good sounding album... but, then again, almost all of her albums are outstanding and almost all of them sound great, as well.

:)

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    Try this one if you haven't heard it https://youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8j_rjL4jw

Careful on the volume around 40 -50 seconds in.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    96difsq63b9w.jpeg

Good one....he sings Elton's song, better than Elton. Man injects soul into every piece on that recording.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Robert Palmer's "Sneakin' sally Through the Alley"
    Trilogy of 'Hey, Hey, Julia', 'Sailin' Shoes', and 'Sneakin'.......
    [
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited September 2018
    I'm gonna send a shout out to @gmcman for helping me realize Peter Gabriel's SO album sounds WAAAYY better on SACD than it does on CD.
    (even HE was kinda surprised at the difference we heard)
    Also Madonna's 40th birthday album Ray of Light. The entire CD is filled with all kinds of phase manipulated stuff that flies all over the room on SDA's. It also has some interesting electronic tones at the beginning of track one which used to come through distorted until I upgraded my crossovers with the Great ones that I got from @VR3
  • joecoulson
    “So” is great,”Us” is even better.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,038
    Mark Hardy put the Wailin' Jennys 'Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House" into the mix for me.
    Best for sussing out upper register clarity & response.

I also use a Deutsche Gramaphon half-speed master of the Berlin Phil doing "Carmina Burana" for low to mid response.

Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyr "Music for Two" esp. "Wooly Mammoth", to see how things respond without getting muddy.
  • West of Hollywood Steely Dan Two Against Nature

Near perfect mix/recording.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • joecoulson
    Been stupid busy this week
    I have some listening to do this weekend.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    The one I use for stereo effects is "I've got a feeling" by the Beatles. Just about nothing in the center, and it sounds sweet. If I have more time, I'll do all of Pink Floyd DSOTM. Then Abbey Road.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    miner wrote: »
    Robert Palmer's "Sneakin' sally Through the Alley"
    Trilogy of 'Hey, Hey, Julia', 'Sailin' Shoes', and 'Sneakin'.......

Good call miner.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2018
    For vocals, anything Karen Carpenter or Sarah Maclachlan; for accuracy/depth of bass, "Hard Day" George Michael. For mids/complexity/layering, practically any Steely Dan or Donald Fagen.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    I JUST used some tracks off of George Michael's "Faith Album" while demoing some speakers an old friend, who visited a couple of weeks ago, was interested in. :)B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Oh man, I completely forgot, The Who, Who's Next.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334

Joss Stone, "The Chokin' Kind," from "Soul Sessions"
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2018
    Not sure who may have similar taste. I listen to a wide range of music but this limited list is some of what I would demo on my own or other systems. Some of the tracks I've used for years so I've listened to them on many systems in the home and some SQ car audio systems.

VOCAL
    1. Lou Rawls & Phoebe Snow - A Lover's Question (Great contrast yet complementary vocals. The music will make you tap your foot!)
    2. Gregory Porter, featuring Kem - Holding On (I'm a big fan of both Gregory and fellow Detroiter Kem. Great track, Great vocals and recording)
    3. Gregory Porter - Be Good (Lion's Song) (The vocals are just SO pure and smooth!)
    4. Natalie Cole - Route 66 (This is just a nice catchy track off of the Unforgettable album. Natalie just swings on it. Her Dad would have been proud!)
    5. Seal - Killer (Acoustic Version) (I love Seal's work. I saw him live once and his performance and his band was simply Awesome! I love the original track but this one makes for a cool demo track)
    6. Quincy Jones - The Places You Find Love (At the end there's a ton going here! A bad system will smear the hell out of this track)
    7. Earth Wind & Fire - Let's Groove (midbass test track!)
    8. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana (Sub bass and Mike rocking out test track!)
    INSTRUMENTAL
    1. Yellojackets - Man Facing North (Great studio track from one of my favorite jazz fusion bands!)
    2. Fourplay – Chant (Looking for a controlled low end. Large tom hit in this track and the bass drum should be very tight!)
    3. Pat Metheny - The Sound of Silence (This track is just pretty!)
    4. Jashua Redman Quartet - St. Thomas (Recorded Live at the village Vanguard!)
    5. Manhattan Jazz Quintet – Song For My Father (Listen for sharpness and controlled dynamics! Great recording!)

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I'm going to throw SRV's version of Little Wing into the fray here. The first minute or so almost begs you to lean forward and close your eyes so you can picture him playing. It's also very dynamic, and gets in your face for awhile before switching gears
    back to mellow. It's my new favorite go-to demo piece for the 2Bs.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • WLDock wrote: »
    Not sure who may have similar taste. I listen to a wide range of music but this limited list is some of what I would demo on my own or other systems. Some of the tracks I've used for years so I've listened to them on many systems in the home and some SQ car audio systems.

VOCAL
    1. Lou Rawls & Phoebe Snow - A Lover's Question (Great contrast yet complementary vocals. The music will make you tap your foot!)
    2. Gregory Porter, featuring Kem - Holding On (I'm a big fan of both Gregory and fellow Detroiter Kem. Great track, Great vocals and recording)
    3. Gregory Porter - Be Good (Lion's Song) (The vocals are just SO pure and smooth!)
    4. Natalie Cole - Route 66 (This is just a nice catchy track off of the Unforgettable album. Natalie just swings on it. Her Dad would have been proud!)
    5. Seal - Killer (Acoustic Version) (I love Seal's work. I saw him live once and his performance and his band was simply Awesome! I love the original track but this one makes for a cool demo track)
    6. Quincy Jones - The Places You Find Love (At the end there's a ton going here! A bad system will smear the hell out of this track)
    7. Earth Wind & Fire - Let's Groove (midbass test track!)
    8. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana (Sub bass and Mike rocking out test track!)
    INSTRUMENTAL
    1. Yellojackets - Man Facing North (Great studio track from one of my favorite jazz fusion bands!)
    2. Fourplay – Chant (Looking for a controlled low end. Large tom hit in this track and the bass drum should be very tight!)
    3. Pat Metheny - The Sound of Silence (This track is just pretty!)
    4. Jashua Redman Quartet - St. Thomas (Recorded Live at the village Vanguard!)
    5. Manhattan Jazz Quintet – Song For My Father (Listen for sharpness and controlled dynamics! Great recording!)

Gregory Porter is absolutely fantastic. I love when Holding On hits on the bass line and it jumps from left to right and back.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited September 2018
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I'm going to throw SRV's version of Little Wing into the fray here. The first minute or so almost begs you to lean forward and close your eyes so you can picture him playing. It's also very dynamic, and gets in your face for awhile before switching gears

I came within seconds of posting SRV's "Little Wing" earlier! But I left and did something else instead. :#

Little Wing also sounds like SRV's "Riviera Paradise". I think they start the same way.. B) .

Beautiful guitar picking and the recording of it! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    edited September 2018
    polrbehr wrote: »

@arthurs played this track for my wife and I on vinyl via the Destination Audio horns on the final day of the 2018 California Audio Show earlier this year, as the last track to close out the show.

I'd never heard the song before. It was an incredible musical experience that I won't ever forget.

hhh54xjezp7g.jpg