Okki Nokki mk2

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    msg wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    As far as the vacuum head brush, the felt gets just damp after initiating the vacuum but the dust is left behind. This is dramatically reduced by using the felt brush before the whole cleaning cycle. It means less times I need to remove the vacuum head and wipe/clean it.

I'm not quote clear on this bit quoted above. Can you clarify?

Yes

Before I clean the record with the fluid/goat hair brush/vacuum, I use one of these brushes:
    ydcrtywxw2mf.jpeg

To clean off loose dirt. This helps to keep larger debris out of the vacuum felt head.
    Make sense?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    You say the felt gets damp on the vacuum head, but the dust left behind - you mean on the record, or that it builds up on the vacuum head?

Would the carbon fiber brush sweep help with this?
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2018
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse. I also have a couple different vacuum wands for wash vacuum and rinse vacuum. I swap the cork mat for the cleaned side of LP. I use Mofi sleeves.

Before play I do a carbon fiber brush before dropping the needle. I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

I use a Tergitol/distilled mix to clean, distilled to rinse. I'll steam nasty ones, but you gotta be careful and keep moving with the steam or you'll warp the record. Steam won't fix a damaged record though, but it helps moisten and dislodge dried, stuck on biological whatever.

Stanton makes a convex brush with holder. I got this with a purchase but never used it. Unsure if they offer replacement pads like the Mofi's do.

xt3zfdkbrv7z.jpg

82dnr7pqq4ax.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • joecoulson
    msg wrote: »
    You say the felt gets damp on the vacuum head, but the dust left behind - you mean on the record, or that it builds up on the vacuum head?

Would the carbon fiber brush sweep help with this?
    It helps to reduce build up on the vacuum head. Otherwise if you take a really dirty record, all the dust and dirt goes on the felt of the vacuum head.
  • joecoulson
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

Lol. I avoid them at all times. Awful tasting things.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2018

I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

Lol. I avoid them at all times. Awful tasting things.

FYI, the original pizza rolls in the 80's were good. I hadn't eaten them since...until about 6 months ago my son had bought a bag...whollytastelikeshlt...yup
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse. I also have a couple different vacuum wands for wash vacuum and rinse vacuum. I swap the cork mat for the cleaned side of LP. I use Mofi sleeves.

Before play I do a carbon fiber brush before dropping the needle. I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

I use a Tergitol/distilled mix to clean, distilled to rinse. I'll steam nasty ones, but you gotta be careful and keep moving with the steam or you'll warp the record. Steam won't fix a damaged record though, but it helps moisten and dislodge dried, stuck on biological whatever.

Stanton makes a convex brush with holder. I got this with a purchase but never used it. Unsure if they offer replacement pads like the Mofi's do.

xt3zfdkbrv7z.jpg

82dnr7pqq4ax.jpg

That's good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing the knowledge Rich!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

FYI, the original pizza rolls in the 80's were good. I hadn't eaten them since...until about 6 months ago my son had bought a bag...whollytastelikeshlt...yup

I agree!
    halo wrote: »

That's good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing the knowledge Rich![/quote]

OCD is good for some things.....lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse.

To satisfy Rich's OCD I also use one Mofi brush to wash, the other to rinse.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    agfrost wrote: »

To satisfy Rich's OCD I also use one Mofi brush to wash, the other to rinse.

I love being an enabled enabler... B)
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    This thread just reminds me why I don't want to get into vinyl.

I never got out so I didn't have to get back in.... B)

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    I still have my first turntable installed in a home made upright audio cabinet I built out of solid Clear Fir wood.

In fact, I just showed it to one of my old friends yesterday.

His word...SWEET!

I still have every record I bought or ordered from Columbia house records mail order club.

The good ol' days. :)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    Give it time. A lot of time! Whew
  • joecoulson
    Looking at your sig, I would have to agree with you:
    however I would love to see one of these in your setup:
    xrw7k6yigu7y.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2018
    (why goat hair?)

14 yr old virgin pubic hair was their first choice but after getting the restraining order, opted for the goat hair

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joecoulson
    Uh okki nokki then...
  • SCompRacer

Actually, the financial obligation is what scares me most at this point. I know what it would cost me to feel like I'm playing at the level I should be and that is... insurmountable at this point.

Sweet jebus, how much are you talking about? :o
  • joecoulson
    My guess is that if Skip were to venture down the rabbit hole, initial setup would run $20k+
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My guess is that if Skip were to venture down the rabbit hole, initial setup would run $20k+

That's a heck of a starter system!

Why not grab a preowned/vintage Technics in decent shape (@mhardy6647 can make a suggestion or may even have a suitable candidate amongst his collection), a Schiit Mani, and a Nagaoka MP-110? That's not expen$ive but it'll sound pretty darn good for a minimum investment.

Ya, you'll need something to clean the records (you can start with a Spin Clean), store the records (Mofi sleeves), a brush to wipe the records before play (Hunt EDA), and a stylus cleaner for before and after play (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, or a stylus brush, or some AT liquid cleaner, or the Onzow).

Still, not a huge investment to get really good quality playback for the investment and a good way for you to see if you really like it (and want to invest the time and energy on a regular basis).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    I know we are way off topic, but it’s my thread so fak it.
    I think my perfect setup would be a VPI scout, Nagaoka mp500 and keep my CA phono pre.
  • joecoulson
    So I have to be close to the 500th cleaning for this machine between myself and two others I have let use it. Still does a fantastic job

Before
    pc9gaoqnk16u.jpeg

After
    udo2zg7scfm1.jpeg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Just read this thread. Ugh. Cleaning records! I love vinyl, but am a bit too lazy right now! Great review and update Joe! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033

You are leaving money (a LOT of it) on the table as a hifi dealer by not offering vinyl. The markup on cartridges alone is stupid. Local dealer here told me his margins on turntables and related stuff is much higher than on anything else in his store.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Every time I heard a snap, crackle or pop at Axpona it made my skin crawl. I’ll stick with digital.

Nice review Joe. Enjoy!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • joecoulson
    Pops and clicks don’t bother me. As long as they are not embedded dust. Love me some vinyl. Best sounding format I own.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    There is always the Sugar Cube.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited April 2019
    Fantastic review, my son had this on his I want list and after sending him your review he is ready to pull the trigger...wish the pro reviews were as in depth as yours...
  • joecoulson
    Why Thank You brother
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I've logged some time cleaning a few dozen records on Joe's machine, and it works a treat. I had one record that I *thought* had a flaw in the vinyl (was skipping over a groove), but after cleaning with the Okki Nokki, the skip was gone...must have been some debris that I couldn't see with the naked eye.

My thanks to Joe for letting me use so much of his cleaning fluid :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    Anytime my friend.