Okki Nokki mk2

2»

Comments

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,108
    msg wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    As far as the vacuum head brush, the felt gets just damp after initiating the vacuum but the dust is left behind. This is dramatically reduced by using the felt brush before the whole cleaning cycle. It means less times I need to remove the vacuum head and wipe/clean it.

I'm not quote clear on this bit quoted above. Can you clarify?

Yes

Before I clean the record with the fluid/goat hair brush/vacuum, I use one of these brushes:
    ydcrtywxw2mf.jpeg

To clean off loose dirt. This helps to keep larger debris out of the vacuum felt head.
    Make sense?
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,699
    You say the felt gets damp on the vacuum head, but the dust left behind - you mean on the record, or that it builds up on the vacuum head?

Would the carbon fiber brush sweep help with this?
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,048
    edited August 2018
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse. I also have a couple different vacuum wands for wash vacuum and rinse vacuum. I swap the cork mat for the cleaned side of LP. I use Mofi sleeves.

Before play I do a carbon fiber brush before dropping the needle. I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

I use a Tergitol/distilled mix to clean, distilled to rinse. I'll steam nasty ones, but you gotta be careful and keep moving with the steam or you'll warp the record. Steam won't fix a damaged record though, but it helps moisten and dislodge dried, stuck on biological whatever.

Stanton makes a convex brush with holder. I got this with a purchase but never used it. Unsure if they offer replacement pads like the Mofi's do.

xt3zfdkbrv7z.jpg

82dnr7pqq4ax.jpg

Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

msg wrote: »
    You say the felt gets damp on the vacuum head, but the dust left behind - you mean on the record, or that it builds up on the vacuum head?

Would the carbon fiber brush sweep help with this?
    It helps to reduce build up on the vacuum head. Otherwise if you take a really dirty record, all the dust and dirt goes on the felt of the vacuum head.
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, PS Audio Stellar gain M700 mono blocks, Elac Adante AF-61 towers Black, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with CBS NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables

5.1: Marantz sr5013 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Linn LK240 mono blocks pair, Totem Rainmakers, Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

Lol. I avoid them at all times. Awful tasting things.

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,249
    edited August 2018

I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

Lol. I avoid them at all times. Awful tasting things.

FYI, the original pizza rolls in the 80's were good. I hadn't eaten them since...until about 6 months ago my son had bought a bag...whollytastelikeshlt...yup
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • halohalo Posts: 4,895
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse. I also have a couple different vacuum wands for wash vacuum and rinse vacuum. I swap the cork mat for the cleaned side of LP. I use Mofi sleeves.

Before play I do a carbon fiber brush before dropping the needle. I avoid Cheetos and pizza rolls when handling records.

I use a Tergitol/distilled mix to clean, distilled to rinse. I'll steam nasty ones, but you gotta be careful and keep moving with the steam or you'll warp the record. Steam won't fix a damaged record though, but it helps moisten and dislodge dried, stuck on biological whatever.

Stanton makes a convex brush with holder. I got this with a purchase but never used it. Unsure if they offer replacement pads like the Mofi's do.

xt3zfdkbrv7z.jpg

82dnr7pqq4ax.jpg

That's good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing the knowledge Rich!
    edited August 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

FYI, the original pizza rolls in the 80's were good. I hadn't eaten them since...until about 6 months ago my son had bought a bag...whollytastelikeshlt...yup

I agree!
    halo wrote: »

That's good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing the knowledge Rich![/quote]

OCD is good for some things.....lol

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• agfrostagfrost Posts: 2,247
    My preference is Mofi brushes. To satisfy OCD I use one for scrub and one for rinse.

To satisfy Rich's OCD I also use one Mofi brush to wash, the other to rinse.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
    agfrost wrote: »

To satisfy Rich's OCD I also use one Mofi brush to wash, the other to rinse.

I love being an enabled enabler... B)

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,472
    This thread just reminds me why I don't want to get into vinyl.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    edited August 2018
    DSkip wrote: »

I never got out so I didn't have to get back in.... B)

• Tony MTony M Posts: 7,452
    edited August 2018
    I still have my first turntable installed in a home made upright audio cabinet I built out of solid Clear Fir wood.

In fact, I just showed it to one of my old friends yesterday.

His word...SWEET!

I still have every record I bought or ordered from Columbia house records mail order club.

The good ol' days. :)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Give it time. A lot of time! Whew

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,472
    Give it time. A lot of time! Whew

Actually, the financial obligation is what scares me most at this point. I know what it would cost me to feel like I'm playing at the level I should be and that is... insurmountable at this point.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Looking at your sig, I would have to agree with you:
    however I would love to see one of these in your setup:
    xrw7k6yigu7y.png

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 910
    edited September 2018
    (why goat hair?)

14 yr old virgin pubic hair was their first choice but after getting the restraining order, opted for the goat hair

Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    800 Va Dreadnought- Speaker Interconnect
    WireWorld Mini-Eclipse 7 speaker cables
    Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - DAC/Streamer
    B&K Reference 50 Pre/Pro
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    BLE-Design 16mm Power Cables
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
    BluDenso - Bluetooth receiver/DAC
    Uh okki nokki then...

Actually, the financial obligation is what scares me most at this point. I know what it would cost me to feel like I'm playing at the level I should be and that is... insurmountable at this point.

Sweet jebus, how much are you talking about? :o

My guess is that if Skip were to venture down the rabbit hole, initial setup would run $20k+

• halohalo Posts: 4,895
    My guess is that if Skip were to venture down the rabbit hole, initial setup would run $20k+

That's a heck of a starter system!

Why not grab a preowned/vintage Technics in decent shape (@mhardy6647 can make a suggestion or may even have a suitable candidate amongst his collection), a Schiit Mani, and a Nagaoka MP-110? That's not expen$ive but it'll sound pretty darn good for a minimum investment.

Ya, you'll need something to clean the records (you can start with a Spin Clean), store the records (Mofi sleeves), a brush to wipe the records before play (Hunt EDA), and a stylus cleaner for before and after play (Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, or a stylus brush, or some AT liquid cleaner, or the Onzow).

Still, not a huge investment to get really good quality playback for the investment and a good way for you to see if you really like it (and want to invest the time and energy on a regular basis).
    I know we are way off topic, but it’s my thread so fak it.
    I think my perfect setup would be a VPI scout, Nagaoka mp500 and keep my CA phono pre.

2»