Equipment Racks

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited March 2018
    is there a picture of your setup anywhere ?
    post it and you can get suggestions.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited March 2018
    Not really. It's far too embarrassing to post for public consumption.

Edit: I went through my old threads and I did post a pic at one point. This basically shows the space I'm working with. TV is not there anymore now, and speakers are 703s. *braces for impact*

74009.jpg

marvda1 wrote: »
    is there a picture of your setup anywhere ?

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I wonder what the functional/real world/rigidity/wobble/isolation/etc. difference is between these two:

S5-5-web.jpg

S3-5-web.jpg

It would be interesting to see how the spikes are constructed and attached. For spikes to work they need to be well made and firmly attached to something rigid.

Little spikes loosely screwed into a thin endcap on a hollow tube are decorative only. At best.

• Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    It looks like the piece that they screw into is separate from the tubes:

SolidSteel-S5-2_550pix-IMG_1163.jpg

Better view of where the spikes are attached:

S5-StarterKit.jpg

delkal wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how the spikes are constructed and attached. For spikes to work they need to be well made and firmly attached to something rigid.

Little spikes loosely screwed into a thin endcap on a hollow tube are decorative only. At best.

• Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    According to the Solidsteel.it website, it sounds like custom column/shaft lengths are available. So instead of the standard 8" columns, I could get 5.7" columns - thus reducing the overall height of the rack, and hopefully increasing the rigidity by not making the center of gravity so high when the 30lb TT is placed on the top shelf. Interesting.

S3-5-Drawing.jpg

S5-Stems-Bis.jpg

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    It looks like the piece that they screw into is separate from the tubes:

SolidSteel-S5-2_550pix-IMG_1163.jpg

Better view of where the spikes are attached:

S5-StarterKit.jpg

That design looks OK. Much better than trying to thread spikes directly into a 1/16 inch endcap.

I have a cheapo Sanus rack (pic way back on page 5) and it is similarly designed ( but without any spikes). Screw a bolt into a leg, put a board between them, and screw on the next leg section. Even with a cheap China rack you can feel it firmly bottoming out when you tighten it and it is sturdy when you are done.

Your pic said s series "starter kit". Can you give a link if they just sell the spikes? I am sure the treads on the post are the same as my cheap rack.
  • Clipdat
    Looks like they sold them on Music Direct at some point, but not anymore:

https://www.musicdirect.com/vibration-control/solidsteel-8mm-spikes-set-of-3
    Your pic said s series "starter kit". Can you give a link if they just sell the spikes? I am sure the treads on the post are the same as my cheap rack.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    verb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Shipping just to me is over 50.00 each. So it's 120.00 a piece. Ouch.

I like it, but, it's not for me.

I'll have to stick with wood I guess.

I’m negotiating shipping for 2 pieces, which will be cut in half for the legs. Yeah he’s pretty steep on shipping. We’ll see what he comes up with.

So the guy came back with a shipping quote for about the same price. No relief. :disappointed:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    I also found these and e-mailed them a few days ago. No response yet. These look much nicer.

ipp1e2i8y739.png

http://www.mesgate.com/aluminum-extrusions-80mm-40mm-square-l-shape-with-corner-radius.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Some of these 'extra stock' extrusions look a lot like Salamander Designs core module designs https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks-stands/pro-audio-core-module/ With the right extra stock extrusion product, you might even be able to add these Salamander 'lacing bars' https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/accessories/rack-cartridge-lacing-bars/ I rather like the idea of a continuous pillar as opposed to stacked pieces. Of course there are still the shelves to consider, as well as the feet.

I use a Salamander 36" version of this https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks-stands/audio-stands/ for storing my bullpen/testing gear. I got mine used off CL.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Some of these 'extra stock' extrusions look a lot like Salamander Designs core module designs https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks-stands/pro-audio-core-module/ With the right extra stock extrusion product, you might even be able to add these Salamander 'lacing bars' https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/accessories/rack-cartridge-lacing-bars/ I rather like the idea of a continuous pillar as opposed to stacked pieces. Of course there are still the shelves to consider, as well as the feet.

I use a Salamander 36" version of this https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/racks-stands/audio-stands/ for storing my bullpen/testing gear. I got mine used off CL.

Yep. Not sure I would trust the lacing bars to support the component weight per shelf though.
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    A relentless search found these. I'm gonna go for it! Free shipping but the unit price is still a bit high. These are designed for a 30x30mm rail interface. I chose to go with a 40x40mm, so I'll have to do a bit of machining to get em to fit up.

Edited to add 1000mm length!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3060DR-30x60mm-T-Slot-Aluminum-Extrusion-30-series-Length-100-200-300-400-500mm/132314685509?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=431639904980&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
    301393vnczox.png
  • verb
    Very nice!
  • Clipdat
    Got a mockup/drawing of what you're going to be using these for?
    A relentless search found these. I'm gonna go for it! Free shipping but the unit price is still a bit high. These are designed for a 30x30mm rail interface. I chose to go with a 40x40mm, so I'll have to do a bit of machining to get em to fit up.

• verb
    Got a mockup/drawing of what you're going to be using these for?

Yep working on it. In my head right now but will post soon. Got a parts list too.
  • Clipdat
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

If you go that route, start a new thread ...should be interesting
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    750$ per level.....
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    Yeah, seems excessive.
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    750$ per level.....

• verb
    Hard to tell from the pics but the cross members seem thin. Some kinda steel, but plate stock. A c-channel or box section would be better for sag. Harder to machine for a DIYer. The Adona racks use a similar design, but welded box section for the cross members.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Nice looking Quadraspire on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quadraspire-SVT-5-Shelf-Rack-Black-Bamboo-w-Black-Hardware/112827056091

Tempting.

s-l1600.jpg

Edit: I don't know why the auction title and description says that the shelf material bamboo. I asked the seller about that, because they clearly look like the standard wood shelves with a black veneer.

Edit2: The seller is going to take more photos of the shelves and the original box for me. This is a pretty slamming deal considering new this would go for "$2,245".
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'll build you one just like it for 50% off...I promise ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Hey, it's local! "Item location: San Francisco, California, United States"

It's an art piece! I did read that a "hanging rack" is supposed to be good.

s-l1600.jpg

Tony M wrote: »
    32,000.00 :o:s

• verb
    Good for earthquakes out there! :)
  • Clipdat
    Guaranteed that your CD won't skip during an earthquake?
    Good for earthquakes out there! :)