• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    F1nut wrote: »
    Probably better pulled out a bit too.

bwi402xio77t.jpg

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    alan78 wrote: »
    so...consensus says leave the sub where it is tight in the corner?

Very nice setup, congrats. I would leave the sub there, if you're hearing the sub being localized then it's too loud.

As mentioned, pull the speakers out a bit and toe them in. Do not put the sub in the middle and definitely do not put the center on top of it.

^^^ what he said^^^

Using the Yamaha speakers for rear surrounds will work, Just keep an eye out for S10's to be on sale for $150 or less a pair.

Any time you make changes you may want to run Audyssey again.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Upstatemax
    I'm going to ask you to SERIOUSLY listen to 7.1 and 5.1.

Very few rooms are actually better with a 7.1 set up, even fewer AVR's.

You're cutting power to the other channels and possibly running a risk of clipping, especially the main towers. Just because an AVR can run 7 channels, does not mean that it should.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
  • alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    I had a hard time hearing the surrounds as it was. I had to turn them up a few db. might not have been the best movie for surrounds but eventually go it going. A few more tweaks and Ill have it pretty good. I mean its already leaps and bounds better than what I had. So even if I did nothing else Im happy! I do want the bass to punch a bit more. So ill likely bump it up a few more notches in the AVR.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I would definitely toe those speakers in more, but would disagree with the others. I would probably try the sub between the center and the floor standers. Close to the corners is good, but with that ceiling, I just have a feeling that you're creating standing waves with the sub where it is. Could be wrong, but it's free to try it in a different position.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I had a hard time hearing the surrounds as it was. I had to turn them up a few db. might not have been the best movie for surrounds but eventually go it going. A few more tweaks and Ill have it pretty good. I mean its already leaps and bounds better than what I had. So even if I did nothing else Im happy! I do want the bass to punch a bit more. So ill likely bump it up a few more notches in the AVR.

You're not supposed to really notice the surrounds. Their primary purpose is fill and should not stand out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• alan78
    edited October 2017
    Well after doing the subwoofer crawl I have the sub on the back wall behind the couch. Seems to hit a little harder there and sound is distributed better through the seating areas.
    Post edited by alan78 on
  • mrloren
    Well after doing the subwoofer crawl I have the sub on the hack wall behind the couch. Seems to hit a little harder there and sound is distributed better through the searing areas.

Nice, very nice. good you have the room to do the subwoofer crawl.

now enjoy a weekend of good action movies.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • alan78
    Oh we will! Tropical storm nate is coming up this way so it will be an inside weekend.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    As mentioned, pull the speakers out a bit and toe them in. Do not put the sub in the middle and definitely do not put the center on top of it.

+1. Agree with F1. You probably want to experiment with the placement of the sub.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I'm going to ask you to SERIOUSLY listen to 7.1 and 5.1.

Very few rooms are actually better with a 7.1 set up, even fewer AVR's.

I can't comment on running only on an AVR but for a large room 7.1 (with properly placed speakers and set-up) rocks compared 5.1. The difference is huge and in my large room I would never go back to 5.1. Yes, this is also dependent on the movie but good well recorded action movies are fantastic in 7.1. I actually can't wait to get the 7.2.2 atmos system set-up which should probably happen by the middle of next year.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Thorton

You're not supposed to really notice the surrounds. Their primary purpose is fill and should not stand out.

Yes and no. If you have a helicopter flying from the front left of the screen to behind you on the right side you should exactly hear this happening in your room as if you are there. It's not in the background. Same thing if you hear a gun being fired directly behind you.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

Oh oh. I am in trouble. Fortunately, I never turn on my sub (LSiW), since I get more than enough bass from the fronts, rears, center. I have to admit though that the sub makes a great center stand. At one point I was even placing shelves under the center to bring it to the bottom of the picture on movies that are letter boxed. But that was in the day when I was more into HT than I am now. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • alan78
    Ah man I need to knock the gain down on the sub. Now it hits so hard it vibrates my projector. Ugh...
  • mrloren
    Ah man I need to knock the gain down on the sub. Now it hits so hard it vibrates my projector. Ugh...

:):):):)

oh yeah the problems and you have a good sub now. Just think of what a PB16 would do :):)

I thought the STF2 was great, then VTF2 was a holly S**** Batman, now it's oh my gosh with the VTF3-MK5 I think any more sub and stucco will start coming off.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415

:D I'm glad you are having so much fun Alan, you will have enjoyment for years to come!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    Well we watched wonder woman last night. Decent movie..the bass was great but my wife said the rest sounded like our HTiB. Ugh....specifically she said the center channel. I'll admit it sounded just like my buddies Klipsch center kind of sounded in a box and not clear. Is that just the way movies are made? Anyway to crisp it up?

After audyssey ran I upped the center 1db. Then during the movie I upped the center 2 more db. Still seems like the dialog is not loud and crisp.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Well we watched wonder woman last night. Decent movie..the bass was great but my wife said the rest sounded like our HTiB. Ugh....specifically she said the center channel. I'll admit it sounded just like my buddies Klipsch center kind of sounded in a box and not clear. Is that just the way movies are made? Anyway to crisp it up?

After audyssey ran I upped the center 1db. Then during the movie I upped the center 2 more db. Still seems like the dialog is not loud and crisp.

I always have had to boost the center channel a couple db for movies after running any correction program.
  • alan78
    Yeah it currently up 3db total after runny set up. Seems like it could be more though but afraid it will over power the towers. I guess I should bump then up some more as well.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Yeah it currently up 3db total after runny set up. Seems like it could be more though but afraid it will over power the towers. I guess I should bump then up some more as well.

Your other option is to turn the towers down a db or two. I assume they are drowning out the center channel for voices, so instead of boosting the center and the towers, try dropping the towers a little and see how it sounds.
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    I don't know if they are crowing out the center but more that the voices in the center seem muffled. But I'll try that too and see what happens. I knows it's a work in progress and will take time to get it too our liking. I was a little bummed when she said they sound the same as our HTiB system. Boo...haha I don't think so but I guess my ears are different.
  • She would probably say the same thing about a $5000.00 pair of speakers.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Upstatemax
    Are you still trying to run a 7 channel set up?

If so, you're probably not sending an awful lot of power to very important speakers like the center. Making them sound thin and lackluster.
  • alan78

If so, you're probably not sending an awful lot of power to very important speakers like the center. Making them sound thin and lackluster.

I am not. 5.1 only. I have yet to try the 7.1
  • mrloren
    edited October 2017
    Is your center still on the box or did you make or buy a stand? is it angled up a tad?

bumping it up won't overpower it. I would turn down the towers by a db or two and bump the center up one.

As for not telling the difference, hmmm one of my in-laws has all in-ceiling speakers and a little earthquake sub driven by an entry level Sony AVR. They have tried to say it sound better than mine.. told my sister in-law to come talk to my when the water in the glass on the table has ripples.

Wonder Woman was a good action flick.
  • alan78
    It is still on the box and it is angled up. Tonight we are watching the new pirates of the caribbean. I will up it some more and see what happens. I have a dialog adjustment so I'm going to up that. Not sure if that is different than the center adjustment or not.

• Upstatemax

I am not. 5.1 only. I have yet to try the 7.1

Could be several things. Try pulling it out from the wall a bit more to help with the "boxy" sound. Make sure it's at a good height or properly angled to point at listening position.

what are your crossover settings? Do the distance settings seem right? Was it just that movie or every movie you watch? How many calibration points did you use? Does it sound better without calibration?

• alan78
    I have pulled it from the wall. I was wondering if it was the movie. Music doesnt sound that way. That was the first movie we watched. But we do have it angled up and the distance look correct.

Cross over settings are 80hz. Uses 8 calibration points.
  • mrloren
    It is still on the box and it is angled up. Tonight we are watching the new pirates of the caribbean. I will up it some more and see what happens. I have a dialog adjustment so I'm going to up that. Not sure if that is different than the center adjustment or not.

Dude,

Get it off that hollow cardboard box please. A milk crate would be better.