which speakers are better?

Comments

• alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    Oh my word it sounds better already..and that svs is um....AWESOME!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    nice, once you hook up them sweet Signatures you'll need to run Audyssey again.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • alan78
    Yep I will and turn off all that auto night energy saver stuff too. I just left it all on since I knew tomorrow I'll be re doing it. But the wife already like the sub WAY better than the old one. Doesn't even compare. I'll post a pic once I get them in and set up. New screen is awesome too! 120" of pure enjoyness!
  • alan78
    They are here!!!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2017
    Are they in one piece, or many?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • alan78
    1 piece..haha ups did good. And they came early for once. All unboxed and yeah they look great and match the SVS perfectly! Too bad I have to go to work soon. Ugh
  • mrloren
    edited October 2017
    alan78 wrote: »
    1 piece..haha ups did good. And they came early for once. All unboxed and yeah they look great and match the SVS perfectly! Too bad I have to go to work soon. Ugh

You can always call in sick, I would :)

Once all setup, get a good action movie like one of the Dark Knight flicks.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Prepare yourselves for an awesome sounding HT experience! And don't forget to take pictures!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • alan78
    Yeah I'm at work now wishing I called in! That's okay I'll wake my wife up early tomorrow! Haha

I've got to position everything still and then run audyssey again. Learn how to tweak the sub and then let it rip! I'm sure I'll be tweaking stuff for a while.

I read through that forum you posted to @mrloren. Lots of info though I did not understand or find about the Mic placement that differs from where audyssey says. I'll read through it again tonight.

@cfrizz I am prepared and ready! Last night we watched die hard 2, just because, with the SVS hooked up and my HTiB speakers hooked up. That SVS was down right awesome! My wife had a grin on her face too.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    It's difficult to do, but let everything break in for some time before you go and crank it up.

40-80 hours of moderate volumes at least.
  • alan78
    Oh man that's a long time! I'll see if I can contain myself. Hahaha
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It's true, you should go easy on the volume until everything burns in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    easy, turn the volume down (-30db) and put a CD in. set the player to replay when you go to work... you'll have 40 hours on them by Friday easy.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Or leave the radio playing, that way you don't put extra mileage on your disc player.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Radio? I remember those.
  • cfrizz
    Well???? It's taking way too long for you to update this thread, get a move on!!! ;)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Well???? It's taking way too long for you to update this thread, get a move on!!! ;)

Well well well Ms. Frizz, aren't we the impatient one. lol

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    Well........the system is AWESOME! I'm still tweaking stuff at the moment. I'm going to move my sub toward the center and I've got 2 Yamaha's I'm going to add to make it 7.1.

They look great and sound great. The SVS is awesome! The screen is awesome. We are loving it.

I noticed today there is alot of treble I guess coming from the towers. I need to knock them down in db some as they seemed over powering. I had to up the surrounds a bit and the sub a few notches up. But yeah I'm so glad I got these. But I guess I have to say that after dropping the coin. Hahaha pictures will come. My wife took on today of me and her brother watching man of steel. I'll post it up though the snap shot caught a motion screen so it's kind of blurry. But I had it up so high it was tickling my ears and sounded great.
  • alan78
    here is the shot from today. I need to make a center channel stand as well. the cardboard box works for now though.
  • alan78
    another shot of speakers egv7da8mg5i0.jpg
  • Upstatemax
    Looks nice.

I would try pulling the speakers out from the wall some more. They can sound bloated when pushed too close to walls.
  • alan78
    Since im rocking 1 SVS sub it seems like it should be centered to distribute the sound better right? Soooooo could you not lay the svs on its side right smack in the center and place the center speaker on top of it?

That's thinking out loud there because I think I would have problems with vibrations...just a thought. I'm going to move the sub next to the center to see what that sounds like. its not bad where it is but I don't know if I'm missing out on a different sound.
  • Upstatemax
    Vibration is a large concern.

A lot of people prefer for subs to be closer to corners to help with room gain. I don't suggest a sub to be crammed into a corner, but close to a corner has worked well for me.

If you need a solution for your center, they sell dedicated center speaker stands.
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    Hmm...yeah that was my thought. So might be better in my case to move sub to the other side of the tower but not at the center? I'll try that and see.

I'm going to build my own center stand once I get a free day to do it. Was just wondering if the sub could kill two birds with it. Haba
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2017
    Congrats, it looks great! As for a CC stand see below.

Here ya go.

https://www.amazon.com/Center-Stand-Polk-Channels-Steel/dp/B071175VQ8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1507244628&sr=8-13&keywords=center+speaker+stand

By the way, you go sitting your CC on top of your SVS, you will find it shaking its way onto the floor!
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    Thanks! That's not a bad price and fillable...

Yeah I thought of that too! Hahaha
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Just wait’ll they break in! My LSiM 703’s took a long time - but worth the wait. At first almost sent them back. Lol
  • F1nut
    edited October 2017
    As mentioned, pull the speakers out a bit and toe them in. Do not put the sub in the middle and definitely do not put the center on top of it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• alan78
    so...consensus says leave the sub where it is tight in the corner?
  • F1nut
    Probably better pulled out a bit too.

President of Club Polk