Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ^^^ How much? ^^^

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Wasn't the Mercury rant the thing that got Candyliquor banned?

Remember that first fest at Polk HQ? I shook someones hand (was it Lou?) and they asked who I was? I said Candyliquor and everyone looked...lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Wasn't the Mercury rant the thing that got Candyliquor banned?

Remember that first fest at Polk HQ? I shook someones hand (was it Lou?) and they asked who I was? I said Candyliquor and everyone looked...lol

Priceless
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2017
    OK, it was Russ Abernathy (hoosier21) whom reminded me in a 2010 facebook message...

"hey Ron like your post..."

I'm not Ron I'm Rich.

"I know you dumbass Ron from Indy is how you introduced yourself to me at Polk it was funny wish you remembered lol"
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Focal Utopia for your car.
    Its 2017.
    No AC TRASH!
    DC powered.
    They sound incredible!
    Super clean!
    g5z6vxfhx5p3.jpg

Weird looking boombox......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • On behalf of the "Polk Audio Welcome Back Committee", mascot Algernon would like to present you with a small gift:

vemybs3vlh7t.jpg

..... kind of a cheap gift if you ask me, but they're kind of known for being frugal.
    I guess it's the thought that counts.

B)
    Sal Palooza
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    My time away has not turned me into any less of an ****........just sayin..... :smiley:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    brettw22 wrote: »
    My time away has not turned me into any less of an ****........just sayin..... :smiley:

Glad to hear it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Welcome back Brett
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    qzuuryiqh29n.jpg

3 way. B)
    Not room dependent.
    No AC trash.
    12VDC.

I'd like to see what happens to those if you hooked 12V DC to the terminals. Fried tweeter and voice coils in no time.

Speakers are the same whether for car audio or home audio. They all run off of a cyclic output which replicates the audio input signal. AC
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Used to use Focal, Dynaudio, Peerless, Polydax, etc. all the time in my car stereo shops back in the day. When Alpine got serious about component drivers they relabelled Dynaudio 6 1/2's and tweets as thiers and Gauss 12's and 15's for bottom end. Becker, Audax, and other western Europe brands where sold and used everywhere in the early days of separates in car stereo. They were the only real choices in the beginning. Or Radio Shack for the cheapos.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    billbillw wrote: »
    qzuuryiqh29n.jpg

3 way. B)
    Not room dependent.
    No AC trash.
    12VDC.

I'd like to see what happens to those if you hooked 12V DC to the terminals. Fried tweeter and voice coils in no time.

Speakers are the same whether for car audio or home audio. They all run off of a cyclic output which replicates the audio input signal. AC

The OP just meant to use DC rather than AC to generate all of the operating voltages for the amplifier -- no transformer, rectifier, or filter(s) to leave residual AC noise on the DC rails -- of course, the power output of an amplifier limited to 13.8 VDC rails will be -- somewhat limited. Any higher voltages probably would be generated with a switch-mode style power supply, which generates a nasty spectrum of noise(s) all by itself.

Heck, batteries even have a chemical (no kidding) noise floor.
    No free lunch, thanks to the first two laws of thermodynamics.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »
    qzuuryiqh29n.jpg

3 way. B)
    Not room dependent.
    No AC trash.
    12VDC.

The OP just meant to use DC rather than AC to generate all of the operating voltages for the amplifier -- no transformer, rectifier, or filter(s) to leave residual AC noise on the DC rails -- of course, the power output of an amplifier limited to 13.8 VDC rails will be -- somewhat limited. Any higher voltages probably would be generated with a switch-mode style power supply, which generates a nasty spectrum of noise(s) all by itself.

Heck, batteries even have a chemical (no kidding) noise floor.
    No free lunch, thanks to the first two laws of thermodynamics.

Yes, I know that. I just think he made too much of a point that the "speakers" were DC...speakers are speakers. You can put car audio speakers in a box and use them on home equipment and vice versa.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    absolutely -- heck one of my favorite-er "full range" hifi drivers was originally sold as a car radio replacement speaker.

12289315386_cf252f4e11_b.jpgDSCN5289 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    9601793718_286e8ec09a_b.jpgDSC_6398 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The venerable R/S 40-1354, first offered in 1983 (the year I got married) and sold for a couple of decades thereafter.

debruk51kth3.png
    (not the image in that scan from www.radioshackcatalogs.com)

poor photo of the actual driver in 1985:

4sbqpjbpz6fp.png