Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 6,382
    There's another forum?!?

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 18,250
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I will continue to spread hate and discontent amongst the masses.

We expect nothing less from you hoser
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,648
    nbrowser wrote: »

Part 2, what I find even more disturbing is seeing grown adults on here acting like schoolyard children, that may one of the reasons Polk didn't mention it's own forums, the childish BS that happens on here by a select few, grow up kids...time to act like adults!
    Agreed, seems to be the norm anymore. Surprised they haven't pulled the plug completely.
  • msg
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I will continue to spread hate and discontent amongst the masses.
    Package deal, along with your seed.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,558
    edited May 2017
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Time to put the 2nd person ever on my ignore list...

That's what you should do. Problem solved.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,145
    Grab them by the p#$$&.

Although edited and somewhat amusing, this is probably a good example of why Polk might not want to push potential customers to come here first. This forum is a great support resource, but not necessarily a great marketing tool. Sometimes you have to sift through a lot of BS here to find the best morsels of advice, but it's mostly all for fun and love of audio. Yeah, sometimes it does get a little too passionate in here. I'm sure Polk doesn't want their new customers coming here to get embroiled in a cable debate right off the bat...

Polk doesn't hate us. We're just the crazy family members that you got nervous introducing a new girlfriend (or boyfriend) to, because you're not quite sure what's going to come out of their mouth.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,145
    nbrowser wrote: »
    My one and only comment in this thread and I'm out of it.

I do find it disturbing that Polk didn't mention it's own forum but as BlueFox speculated that Polk may trying not to be showing favouritism I get that in spades.

Part 2, what I find even more disturbing is seeing grown adults on here acting like schoolyard children, that may one of the reasons Polk didn't mention it's own forums, the childish BS that happens on here by a select few, grow up kids...time to act like adults!

Good post. Agreed. The foolishness and bickering is embarrassing.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,915
    I have seen well duller BB's but those are the pretentious ones full of people acting like they want to be thought of not how they really are (my name is Elmer J. Pud, I own a mansion and a yacht). I hate those kinds of people more than anything. This place is action packed!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,370
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    If I was a Polk exec, I don't know if I'd push potential customers to this forum to promote sales. Heck, most of the advice is to buy used. That, and they have little control over however us goofballs decide to respond. Yes, there's a wealth of information for owners here, but they chose 2 sites with "professional" reviewers, and probably the classiest online seller of all.

I think this sums it up...those other sites are set up and run to drive sales to certain products, and get a lot more eyeballs on them, regardless of the validity of the advice. This site is for the hardcore enthusiast who want a rad sounding system without spending an arm and leg. I'm guessing there's a big picture at play and this is only one part of it to increase sales. With all that said, I never check those sites for advice. That guy on CNET who reviews audio gear bugs me.

• msg
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I think this sums it up...those other sites are set up and run to drive sales to certain products, and get a lot more eyeballs on them, regardless of the validity of the advice. This site is for the hardcore enthusiast who want a rad sounding system without spending an arm and leg. I'm guessing there's a big picture at play and this is only one part of it to increase sales. With all that said, I never check those sites for advice. That guy on CNET who reviews audio gear bugs me.

Steve Guttenberg? I like that guy. He was great in Cocoon and Police Academy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,915
    Polk should steal Hustlers old tag line "for the rest of the world" now that would be hardcore! I guess the want a mediocre image?
  • kevhed72
    msg wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »

Steve Guttenberg? I like that guy. He was great in Cocoon and Police Academy.

What....no. The old bald guy. When I watch the videos I think Im getting audio advice from my Uncle Bob....he never say says any negative about the gear or the sound itself. He just reads the list of specs and plugs the company....maybe Im thinking of U tube.
  • Rick88
    Rick88 Posts: 13,558
    I think msg was joking.

To clear things up, there is Steve Guttenberg the actor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Guttenberg

t06uaxv748fj.jpg

And the "audio" Steve Guttenberg.

I agree, he gives everything a good review... :)

https://www.cnet.com/profiles/theaudiophiliac/

fcmk4xjszo0x.jpg
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

• kevhed72
    Not that guy....the older, soft spoken bald guy ....kinda portly and George Costanza looking.
  • Rick88
    Oh, well now I'm confused.lol...

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

• Rick88
    edited May 2017
    Is his name Steve Guttenberg too? :o

• Rick88
    edited May 2017
    Oops, didn't mean to quote myself. Vanilla doesn't like my Samsung tablet. .

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,622
    edited May 2017

You know, the only thing that ever really pissed me off on this forum was this from F1:
    F1nut wrote: »
    You should have never posted the pic of your set up because it is LOL.

I'm touched that you saved my comment after Ken deleted it from that thread. I feel so......so........so special.

What you failed to mention or provide a quote of is your post prior, in which you took yet another troll shot at me and then complained about my post saying I made it in your thread, but the thread I posted that in wasn't your thread!!!
    To me that one crossed the line. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone on here ever ridicule anyone else's Polk setup and call it crap. I know I would never stoop to that level (even if I actually felt that way). It's totally uncool.

Furthermore, what you failed to understand is I didn't call your gear crap, it's the way you set it up, which is exactly what quite a number of other members said to you in your SRT thread, but you didn't have a problem with any of those folks. Actually, I didn't even call your set up crap, that one you invented. I said it was, "LOL" meaning all wrong.

Facts son, stick to the facts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Rick88
    That's hilarious, thanks for posting! I see what you mean about that guy.

On another note, that's one of the few amps I'm really drooling over... B)

• msg
    edited May 2017
    Great laughs here :) I love this place. Most of the time.

I've spent a buncha side jobs money obsessively digging (being drawn) deeper and deeper into this hobby, a good portion of that on Polk speakers, old and new, all as a result of my time and education here, much of that from the solid knowledge and guidance from several of the longtime contributors at various points of interest. Speakers, preamps and processors, amps, DACs. Subs. Then other great people for turntables, phono pres, and the like. Some computer/htpc guys. A TiVo guy. Streaming digital systems. Digital media. CABLES. Most of this most likely would not have happened at all had I not accidentally stumbled onto this forum while looking up the now inadequately represented speaker specs area on the main site. I simultaneously curse and praise this place and its people.

And sure, it gets rough and edgy around here sometimes, but the edgy suits my personality, so I endure the rough and ugly. I enjoy the wit and humor here most of the time. Of course the knowledge and experience pools are givens for why I've stuck around, but mostly, I have to say, it's been solid sense of community and all that entails. This place has made me a loyal Polk fan. It has stimulated sales for Polk, audio affiliates I'd otherwise not have know, and also regular people in second hand gear sales. It's a good thing going here. Unique, good or bad.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Rick88 wrote: »
    That's hilarious, thanks for posting! I see what you mean about that guy.

On another note, that's one of the few amps I'm really drooling over... B)
    I had it and I miss it now...went to separates and down a huge rabbit hole, which is fine.
    Buy it and pop in some nice Siemens tubes....you'll love it.

• msg
    Kev, I've never seen that guy before!
    Does Audio Stevie G. review mostly the consumer level stuff?

Then again, if he's reviewing Vincent, what's bad to say? :DB)
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Guttenburg.... didn't he have a pretty famous bible or something?

(This thread has everything but religion, so I thought I would get that one in before the close :D )
    I've got one I'm sitting on that will shut this party down in a second....trying...to control.....myself....
  • msg
    edited May 2017
    You can always wait until it closes, and then do what I did once after a contentious thread was shut down - why, RESURRECT IT AS PART DEAUX of course! Which probably most certainly caused Ken to mutter swear words. As he quickly shut that one down too. I bet he laughed though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 45,622
    Ken doesn't swear, I swear it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Well, if you can't make him do it...
    I disabled signatures.
  • Rick88

You know, the only thing that ever really pissed me off on this forum was this from F1:
    You should have never posted the pic of your set up because it is LOL.

I'm touched that you saved my comment after Ken deleted it from that thread. I feel so......so........so special.

What you failed to mention or provide a quote of is your post prior, in which you took yet another troll shot at me and then complained about my post saying I made it in your thread, but the thread I posted that in wasn't your thread!!!
    To me that one crossed the line. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone on here ever ridicule anyone else's Polk setup and call it crap. I know I would never stoop to that level (even if I actually felt that way). It's totally uncool.

Furthermore, what you failed to understand is I didn't call your gear crap, it's the way you set it up, which is exactly what quite a number of other members said to you in your SRT thread, but you didn't have a problem with any of those folks. Actually, I didn't even call your set up crap, that one you invented. I said it was, "LOL" meaning all wrong.

Facts son, stick to the facts.

Jesse,

I couldn't take him anymore and put him on my ignore list.

Between he and the X-Man.... :#

crj0xl1eag0o.gif