Power Conditioner - Who's using one? Which one? Did it help your sound?

1235»

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    My options for hooking up the MR4000 are limited. I was not going to cut into my TV stand that took me 2 weeks to build. TV power cord on my Samsung TV is way to short too so it would no be hooked up to the MR4000. With placement on the stand I can get my receiver, TV and BD players all hooked into the PM8-AV. Should do me better than the Costco CyberPower surge protectors I am currently using.

I know how you guys like to help spend others money :) I try to find ways to get more gear on the cheap. Big problem I have is I live in San Diego County. Cost of living is high and flipping or selling my old gear is next to impossible. That said getting used equipment sucks. I have my Sony ES on CL for over a month without a nibble. Odd that most sales are either old or close to MSRP. When a deal does pop up it gone in an hour or two.

So my upgrade list is this
    Signature S55 and S35
    Oppo 103 or 203
    VTF-3MK5
    MR4300 power conditioner, will need to able to get the longer power cords when I get this.

Any help on creative ways of obtaining these goals is most welcome :)

Part time job at Best Buy has been a thought. but when extra money comes in the wife always tries to get her hands on it. "We have bills" is her favorite way of trying to pry it out of my hands. Thus why I like it when people pay me for woodwork in gift cards.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wouldn't waste time, or money, on surge protection. Yes, it can occasionally be helpful. However, power filtering is useful 24/7 365 days a year. I was amazed at the audio improvement I heard as I added power gear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    So I should move the power conditioner up to #2?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Richard Gray was mentioned earlier in this thread and they got great reviews (take with a grain of salt) and their owners rave about them. There are a couple for sale on US Audiomart, here's a link to one of them:
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649323106-richard-grays-rgpc-600s/

No affiliation. I was about to grab one before the PP3 went on sale.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I just picked up Panamax M5300-PM for $333 at NewEgg. My Belkin PF60 dimmer switch has been busted for years, got tired of looking at the nuclear display (stuck on brightest setting). Would've grabbed the 5400, but I don't need voltage regulation.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • ^^^ and? I assume you need the protection in your neck of the woods...
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    I live at the end of one of my neighborhood's power legs. Years ago I started addressing some line "noise" with a Monster PRO 3600. Provided some help, but made the music rather flat. Unfortunately it took a while to realize since I was focused on what it helped, not what it hurt. Subsequently purchased a used Audience aRp1 single outlet conditioner. Plugged in a quality 6 outlet power box from cryoparts and had what I needed. I have since moved up the Audience line and installed dedicated circuits with excellent results, but still us the aRp1 for my linear power supply for my dac and Logitech Touch. The single outlet aRp1 or two outlet base model aRp2 are great choices for introducing a higher quality power conditioner for your system and they, as well as many other quality conditioners, don't rely on sacrificial MOV's (metal oxide varistors) that can wear out over time. Buying used still provides quality protection and full function. They also plug directly into the wall allowing you to use your upgraded power cord on other equipment.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I'm looking at a Furman ref20i... Fwiw
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I'm looking at a Furman ref20i... Fwiw

I had the 15- pFi a couple notches below that. It was a good unit and I was happy with it . . .
    But, based on the level of gear you have/rotate thru, try the PS Audio P10 Or the P5 regenerator. You won't be sorry, IMHO

G

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    After reading the in depth report on the P10 posted elsewhere in this forum I'm interested to give the 10 a go. Was very happy with the level of gain I received from the P3 and didn't really believe I would ever need anything near the P10's power, but, after reading the P10 thread it has me curious.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    rngkdhza5e4n.jpg

Just picked up this, and will be giving a mini review in another thread. This thing is an absolute hidden gem, and it deserves a little more attention than it's getting, granted it's still a newish company. Core power technology is packing some major quality into what I consider a reasonable price, although I don't have much to compare it to, it has brought my system to another level. Im actually pretty shocked at This point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• michael1947
    michael1947 Posts: 775
    I use Belkin PF 60 on 3 of my rigs.
    Main Family Room: Sony 46 LCD, Sony Blue Ray, Sony DVD/VCR combo,Onkyo TXNR 708, Parasound 5250,
    Polk SDS-SRS with mods, CSI 5 center + Klipsch SC2, Polk RT2000P rears, Klipsch KG 1.5's sides, Polk Micro Pro 1000, Polk Micro Pro 2000, Polk SW505, Belkin PF60, Signal Cable Classics,Monster IC's, 2 15 amp circuits & 1 20 amp circuit.

Living Room: Belkin PF60, Parasound HCA2200, MIT ProlineEXP balanced IC's,Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Pre,Emotiva ERC2 transport,MIT AVT2, Polk LSI 9's.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2017
    mrloren wrote: »
    So I go to BestBuy and the dude there was telling me about how these work. he shows me this one a lot better than the one I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Panamax-MR4000-Management-Protection-Conditioning/dp/B009MQTC52

He got the price down to $140 for me so I got it.

That is a good unit and for 140, you cannot beat it.
    how do you feel about it now that you have used it for a month+?

Nevermind, I saw that you had to go a different route.
    That 2nd unit you have isn't too bad. I use a modular version (VT-EXT) of it to connect PoE injectors for outdoor Wireless Access Points and outdoor speaker runs (MOD-SPKP) and Cat6 (MOD-UTP5e).

B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Spend some time on Shunyata's web site reading, and understanding, their technology. There aren't many audio companies who when they release a new product price it less than the previous line. The new Denali line is getting absolute stunning reviews all around, from the press, and customers. I won't be upgrading, but maybe in a few years to the next generation.

I will say adding Shunyata power gear is better than adding a new piece of electronic gear. Of course, you do need to do it right with dedicated 20 amp lines.

I was skeptical that power conditioner's & cables could make the music sound better (sonic improvement) I've tried Shunyata conditioner's and cables and haven't looked back!!!! Huge improvement in my system. "I believe" "I believe"
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2019
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    rngkdhza5e4n.jpg

Just picked up this, and will be giving a mini review in another thread. This thing is an absolute hidden gem, and it deserves a little more attention than it's getting, granted it's still a newish company. Core power technology is packing some major quality into what I consider a reasonable price, although I don't have much to compare it to, it has brought my system to another level. Im actually pretty shocked at This point.

Looking forward to your review. Your initial impressions mirror mine. Makes 2 of us and will be the 2nd review, I believe, on CP. Still waiting to see more comments on the CPT Deep Core released in Jun/Jul. Been looking at the following thread but not much movement:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/has-anyone-tried-these-stunning-new-cpt-power-cord?page=37
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬