nikonik Posts: 120
    Looking Good!!
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Very sweet!!
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Is there a step by step for wiring and also what part numbers on the Neutrik. I have seen some pics of the wiring, but nothing explicitly written up. I am a bit fuzzy on all the connections that need to be made and want to get it correct.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    It's like wiring any other connector, you just need to follow the wiring instructions for the transformer, and the Speakon will have numbered pins. Just match up the numbers on the male and female side as if you're matching color codes between red and black.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    Brock you'll really like the Speakon once you start using it. My Dreadnought was built before anyone started using these, my case is from Larry's first run which had the drill outs for binding posts. But my binding post plates from Trey for my CRS+'s had the drill out for the Speakon, so I converted that end of the cable to Speakon. I wish I were building this from scratch and were buying this iteration of the case, because I would love to have the Speakons on both sides of the cables. I just don't want it enough to spend the extra money and rebuild it!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    nspindel wrote: »
    It's like wiring any other connector, you just need to follow the wiring instructions for the transformer, and the Speakon will have numbered pins. Just match up the numbers on the male and female side as if you're matching color codes between red and black.

I mean more about wiring the transformer in the case. So the transformer comes with instructions to use it with SDA's?

2 pole or 4 pole Neutrik?

I'm sure I will like it, but I'm not at this time going to modify my terminal cups. Does Trey still sell the binding post plates that are plug-n-play?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    You'd need to ask Trey that. You only need 2 pole Speakons. Somewhere there's a wiring layout in one of the Dreadnought threads, let me see if I can find it.
  • nspindel
    The Avel-Lindberg website has a chart for parallel connection of Y23 series transformers showing the primary positive terminal attached to the gray & brown wires and the ground terminal attached to the blue & violet wires. The dots indicate the corresponding + or - terminals on the primary and secondary sides to maintain correct polarity and phase.

The red and yellow wires on the secondary side should be attached to the positive terminal and the black and orange wires to the negative terminal.

My connections at the speakers are:

Right Pin (+): Red and Yellow wires.
    Right Blade (-): Black and Orange wires.

Left Pin (+): Grey and Brown wires.
    Left Blade (-): Blue and Violet wires
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I followed Jesse's well written write up on the 4 pole Neutrik install on my dreadnaught and cup. If I can do it and get it right you can rest assured that anyone can do it. As others have mentioned Neutrik is the only way to go on both the terminal cup and the case.
  • heiney9
    I was looking for that thread too! Thanks. I emailed Trey though the Vr3 website. He lists them on his site but I don't need the cable.

Also for those less inclined to DIY the cable, I found these. They come in various lengths. I was already planning on using Canare cable anyway

https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Speaker-Terminated-Neutrik-Connectors/dp/B00UJ79HOE/ref=sr_1_11?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1485446405&sr=1-11&keywords=neutrik+4+pole
  • nspindel
    Signal Cable will mount Speakons to their cables if you want. I use Ultra II's for my Dreadnought cables. I have them with Speakons on one end and bananas on the other, since my Dreadnought is built with binding posts.
  • heiney9
    I am currently using Canare 4S11 so I will modify that for my needs. Canare is great cable for not a lot of $$$. Good to know Signal Cable will do that. Maybe I'll check into that as an option. Been very happy with the Canare

H9
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    I followed Jesse's well written write up on the 4 pole Neutrik install on my dreadnaught and cup. If I can do it and get it right you can rest assured that anyone can do it. As others have mentioned Neutrik is the only way to go on both the terminal cup and the case.

Where is the write-up, that's what I'm asking for? Why 4 pole and not 2?

H9

• heiney9
    I'm talking with Vr3 mods right now to get new Satin finish terminal cups with the Neutrik connection.

http://vr3mods.com/Home.php

H9

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The 4 pole version has better specs and is built better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    What do you use the other poles for? Leave them unused?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

That's a good question as I can't find that thread either.
  • F1nut
    What do you use the other poles for? Leave them unused?

Correct, unused.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

H9

That's a good question as I can't find that thread either.

Here, Jay nailed it.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2287728/#Comment_2287728

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    F1nut wrote: »
    The 4 pole version has better specs and is built better.

This^^^^^
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Sorry, I had hoped to put together a little parts and assembly compilation but haven't had time.

I think most of the posts with useful details are within the threads linked in the Further Info of the top post above but it takes way too much time to page through. If I get some time in the next few days I'll try to put something together.

Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    It appears Parts Express is much cheaper than Amazon. I have gift cards for Amazon and thought I'd use those, but so far they are 2-3 times the price on the Neutrik stuff I've looked up

Just a heads up.

H9

P.s. I'll be purchasing from Parts Express. Even with free shipping at Amazon it's about 50% more than Parts Express.
  • heiney9
    (4) 4 pole male connectors; (2) 4 pole female connectors and (2) gaskets

Amazon is $69.02 with free Prime shipping

Parts Express is $35.25 w/shipping for the exact same items!!!

Holy Cow, I'm glad I shopped around. Only thing is for the Parts Express order it doesn't say anywhere if the Female connector is size "D" to fit the chassis of the case.

H9
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Thanks, H!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    Dumb question, but do the Neutrik female connectors come with screws? Or de we need to source those as well?
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    To mount them, you have to source your own. At least that's what I remember.
  • F1nut
    You have to supply your own screws, washers and nuts, which should be 3mm.

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Malbec wrote: »
    To mount them, you have to source your own. At least that's what I remember.

Yes. Screws/washers/nuts.

Don't forget about buying connectors to go from the transformer wires to the Neutrik chassis connector's spade tabs, unless you're planning on soldering them.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0