Group Buy '16: Dreadnought Avel Lindberg 1000VA Isolation Transformers

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2017
    My space is very limited and I may end up placing the case vertically, that's why I will need to know at some point how the cases are made, dimensions and what options we have for connection.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    The case I got from Larry in '12 was drilled for binding posts. Not sure if the '14 crew got all Neutrik, all binding posts, or a mix? Think it was a mixture, but not sure.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    The case should be vertical as it sounds better that way. In regards to the orientation it matters not which connection type is used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vcwatkins
    heiney9 wrote: »
    My space is very limited and I may end up placing the case vertically, that's why I will need to know at some point how the cases are made, dimensions and what options we have for connection.

I have mine sitting vertically on what would ordinarily be the face plate with binding posts on the top plate that would ordinarily be the rear. Pretty sure F1's Neutriks are on opposing ends to be used vertically (or horizontally too I suppose).
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    I am not modding my SDA terminal cups to accept Neutriks. Ideally I'd like to set it up like your Craig, except have the binding posts mounted on each side, but I'm not sure of the orientation of the wiring for the transformer. That's the cleanest and best way for wire management. Having all MIT stuff really takes up real estate behind my low boy shelf.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vcwatkins
    edited January 2017
    The leads are long enough and case large enough to run to either same side or opposing sides (adjacent corners). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. but I think Larry's cases have been either Neutrik on opposing sides or BP's on same side. If so, maybe Larry could offer opposing side BP holes.

You could easily mix the terminations - I've got Neutrik at speakers and BP's at Dreadnought. You could do the reverse/

F1's Neutrik:
    0ydsl98dw56w.jpg

DK's BP:
    DN-uprt004.jpg
    f1dn.jpg 177.8K
  • F1nut
    edited January 2017
    nzs81t3w0w7d.jpg

dyonj4s7hrkt.jpg

All connected with MIT cable, piece of cake.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vcwatkins
    Yeah, like dat.
  • heiney9
    Appreciate the pics and ideas guys.
  • kmeek
    kmeek Posts: 225
    I did have two questions one for F1nut and one for Toolfan66:

@F1nut : I read up on your previous post when you used the Neutrik connectors in a Dreadnought build (nice job buy the way!). This is the way I want to go as well and have picked up the connectors. I don't remember if it was you or someone else that used a pair of Monster Z-Series for the cabling? I got a used pair of Z-Series I wanted to use and I am just wondering: I don't know what gauge the Z-Series cable is. Neutrik states 12AWG or smaller. Just curious if the connectors will accept the Z-Series cable or if I need to go with something else? If so what do you recommend? Thanks

And

@Toolfan66 Nice Cases!!!
    As you can see I plan on going Neutrik. This is less a question and more of a heads up. I just wanted to let you know when the time comes I am going to need two cases. I had already ordered one of the 800VA (Avel Y236906's) before stumbling upon the current group buy. So I will need two one to make a 800VA Dreadnought and one for the 1000VA Dreadnought.

Thanks in Advance Guys!!
  • F1nut
    edited January 2017
    The gauge matters not, it's the outer diameter of the cable. There are many different Neutrik connectors available some with larger openings on the end bell. The specs for these are listed on their site. The end bell has a rubber collar that can be removed to increase the inner diameter if need be. If that still isn't big enough you can grind out the end bell to the size required. I had to enlarge the end bell to 22mm in order to accommodate my cable.

It was DK that used the Monster stuff. I used MIT.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Brock, we can do the same thing on each side but drill holes for binding posts, and you can set it vertically...
  • kmeek
    @Toolfan66. I like the red anodized panels!! Very sharp!!
  • kmeek
    That's too easy. I don't know why I was over thinking the transformer wiring (thought I was going to have to solder I hate soldering). Use spades with heat shrink for the pairings and it looks like you're just using +1/-1 on a 4 pole Neutrik.
  • kmeek
    5wa8xmlfn41n.jpg

By the way who makes the binding plates?
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    kmeek wrote: »
    5wa8xmlfn41n.jpg

Looks like one from VR3 Mods to me.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    kmeek wrote: »
    5wa8xmlfn41n.jpg

Looks like one from VR3 Mods to me.

Yup
  • vcwatkins
    Great job, guys! Just one left.
  • Outstanding payment progress for sure! Nice work @vcwatkins.

@Toolfan66 those cases look awesome! Do they come painted, or do we need to take care of the processing after we get them?

@F1Nut, I really like your set up with the spikes. Really gives it a clean, and very integrated look (as I believe your 2.3TLs have spikes also?). Also, did you make your MIT jumpers (low freq/high freq) or did you have MIT make them for you?

@kmeek, it looks like @Toolfan66 soldered those spade connectors to the transformer leads, then heat shrink tubed them. So "some" soldering required unless you go full-crimp (btw - I hate crimp connectors).

What a great way to start the new year!
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • F1nut
    edited January 2017
    Steve, the cap nuts were temporary, this the final version.

wnrsvwy5c3lk.jpg

I used Mye Sound brass billet spikes, back when they were available, on the speakers. You can't see them because of the carpet, but they keep the speakers off of it.

Those jumpers were purchased from MIT. I have since made my own from MIT cable for other speakers. You can't tell the difference. B)

President of Club Polk

• ^^^^now that's what I call Hi Fi very nice!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Man I hope I can get a case from @Toolfan66 and have it look as good as yous guys cases!
  • Toolfan66
    Man I hope I can get a case from @Toolfan66 and have it look as good as yous guys cases!

You will..

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    This is moving along nicely. I guess it's time to start getting parts together for the assembly. @Toolfan66 the cases are looking good.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I'm in for a fancy Rasta badge or whatever might be conceived if they will be available separately. You all got a screaming deal on that toroid, contrats!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    @Toolfan66. Larry, do I need to PM you to order a case? I thought a separate case ordering thread would be started. Thanks, T.
  • Toolfan66
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    @Toolfan66. Larry, do I need to PM you to order a case? I thought a separate case ordering thread would be started. Thanks, T.

There will be another thread, as soon as I get everything together I will post one.. I made plenty..
  • heiney9
    Thanks Larry!