This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited May 2016
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    gorgeous Luxman equipment HC! Did you ever see the Luxman cassette recorders they made in the 80's with the retracting faceplate?

The so-called "suckface" Luxmans. It was an interesting idea; the front panel had a "don't tamper with the controls" location, but could be retracted to allow adjustment of those (seldom used) controls.

jdjohn, as you likely know, there are a few pretty well-respected pieces of their era(s) in your father's garage.

https://youtu.be/3dwpBckjbjM

(not just cassette decks)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    @boston1450 That is too cool.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • highway_chile
    highway_chile Posts: 37
    edited May 2016
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    gorgeous Luxman equipment HC! Did you ever see the Luxman cassette recorders they made in the 80's with the retracting faceplate?

Yes, I have. Interesting design. Do you have one?
    Power Amps: Luxman M-02, Luxman M-2000, Luxman M-300
    Preamps: Luxman CX-100, Luxman C-1010, Luxman C-120A
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA-2B's (no mods...yet), Klipsch KG4's (Crites Crossovers and Titanium Tweeters), Genesis 1's
    Digital Front End: Marantz CD6005, Denon DVD-2200, Fiio X5 II
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS180, Sennheiser HDR170 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (home). Sennheiser HD449 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (portable)
    EQ: SAE 180 Parametric
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    jdjohn, as you likely know, there are a few pretty well-respected pieces of their era(s) in your father's garage.

I am discovering that one piece at a time :smile: Those two Sansui's may be the best I have found so far, and I thought you guys might like to see pics of them 'in the wild'. He has about 20 turntables as well, including a nice stash of Duals. I bring back a few pieces from each trip when I visit, but there is lots to sort through. I'm testing them and cleaning them up to find new homes...or keep them ;)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    The AU-999 cleans up pretty well. It's mostly modular and you can pull
    all the cards and recap it pretty easily. There's also a mod from audiokarma
    that cleans up the preamp section nicely. It's just changing a few resistors to
    correct a design shortcoming. It also increases the clean power output 15-20 WPC.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    s2zorvbu8ew9.jpg

This is my first and only turntable. Picked it up at a thrift store for $10, cleaned it up and put an Ortofon on it. It makes my Monitor 5s sing!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Nightfall wrote: »
    @boston1450 That is too cool.
    i will post pictures when it is finished being restored. I was told its over 100 years old. But im not too sure
    Randy/Maine
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Whelp, pulled the 8" drivers from my son's BA A70's last night and got down to some serious Dynamat Action on the baskets, they really did ring like bells, solid "thunk" now...

10d1h4ebji19.jpg

k2ckq02j76mj.jpg

Also picked up some new binding post cups with better binding posts (replacing the spring terminals) to go along with my crossover refresh parts (new Mills MRA resistors and Sonicap Gen 1 caps). Can't wait to hear these babies.

yu8jxneq4a66.jpg

As you can see - I have a good use for the foam surround replacements that I picked up as well - these are slightly tired...

klgplnrk0ua6.jpg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• MrBuhl
    I hope DIY is still Vintage HiFi appropriate when working on monkey coffins - thought you all might enjoy the refurb of the Boston Acoustics A70's for my kid...

First up tonight - driver surrounds... Clean and replace.

93xv7wg5bvm0.jpg

z0z9zlfdkhs0.jpg

Next up - Crossovers/Binding Post Cups as they are basically one in the same. Decided to make up my own stand alone crossovers vs. trying to make them fit the backs of the new binding post cups. Not pretty but functional (I hope!)

t3zoxedkfitw.jpg

bcaci782ua1b.jpg

cqm66bhp3axa.jpg

Finished surrounds with trim installed.

ndtl0lwviown.jpg

Monkey coffins set up awaiting full dry time on the surround adhesive on the stands that came with them. Pretty pleased for the $10 investment originally. Can't wait to hear them tomorrow!

q1ag9zr85xaq.jpg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    @MrBuhl

Nice job :) hope your son appreciates your fine work.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks gents - and especially you @pumpkinman for the ideas, links, and nudges in the right direction! These things are burning a hole in my pocket waiting to put power to them!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    WTG ED! See all the life you put back into those speakers. B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • MrBuhl
    Thanks Darryl - maybe good for another 30 years! :)

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pumpkinman
    @MrBuhl
    So is it soup yet ;)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• Very cool, Mr Buhl. I refoamed some A60's and A70 Series II's last fall. Same surrounds. I did not recap, though. They both sounded pretty nice afterwards.
    Speakers: Polk Audio SDA-2B's (no mods...yet), Klipsch KG4's (Crites Crossovers and Titanium Tweeters), Genesis 1's
    Headphones: Sennheiser RS180, Sennheiser HDR170 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (home). Sennheiser HD449 w/Fiio E12 Montblanc (portable)
  • mhardy6647
    Those ol' Boston Acoustics loudspeakers are pretty darned respectable, IMO.
  • MrBuhl
    edited May 2016
    Honestly, I'm shocked. And not even that I got the crossovers right :blush: but by how nice they sound. Burn in has commenced (via long play ipod with 1800 songs on it) but sitting here listening to the shuffle of songs they are really musical. It's a nice room filling sound.

Imaging is pretty good - can locate specific instruments in the decently wide sound field. Bass for an 8" sealed is pretty good really, and the tweeters are nice and clear with good top end sparkle. Might tend a bit toward the bright end compared to my Polks right now (probably a combo of new Sonicap/Mills resistors burning in, the HK AVR, ipod source, & the lamp cord speaker cable) but they are overall really pleasing honestly.

They seem to excel at good old rock-n-roll, he's going to love them I think. the HK came with a small powered HK sub, I can't help but think with that in the mix he's going to be very very pleased indeed - heck they sound plenty good enough without it! :smiley:

6is32lz077iv.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pumpkinman
    I just picked up a pair of Boston Acoustics A150's series 1 bad thing is that the woofers where replaced with junk from Radio Shack. Don't sound to bad but I want an original set of woofers.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• MrBuhl
    I may look for another set of the larger ones for myself, if this is what the baby brothers sound like... well... I think the biggies must be heard!

Beatles on right now - amazing!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Check these out - hows that for vintage hi-fi!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/atq/5581608078.html

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pumpkinman
    Can anyone help me out ?? The A150's have a 10" woofer but when I try to find the woofer specs on the net it's confusing. I've read both 4ohm and 8ohm for the woofer. On eBay there's a pair of refoamed woofers that claim 8ohm. Simply Speakers has an after market drop in replacement for $65 each but says it's 4ohm. I can't find anything from BA. any help would be appreciated.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Never mind I found exact replacements that were refoamed for $75. All is right with the world. :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• MrBuhl
    I'm imagining the A150's are the sweet spot in this lineup? Three-way and not overly large, 10" vs. the 8" in the A70, etc?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pumpkinman
    @MrBuhl
    I'll let you know what I think about the A150's. Right now I'd go with the A200's in my listening area. The A400's were to much speaker for my small-ish area. Next up I'd like to find a pair of A100's. If I find a pair of A100's I'll have all the Boston Acoustics I need. :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited May 2016
    l8wtsuw3zo2c.jpeg
    ADS L300c w/brackets. Add a sub & they sound BIG fxm6xrio5axj.jpeg
    r3nb701ecq5q.jpeg
    Post edited by boston1450 on
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    ads minispeakers -- always in good taste (indoors or out)!
  • MrBuhl
    I have looked at several sets of a/d/s home speakers over the years, never heard them though. I take it they are worth a listen?

I knew a guy that had them in his Jeep back in the 80's (with a Nakamichi car stereo as I recall) - I thought in the 80's that was as bad-**** as I had ever heard LOL.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mhardy6647
    umm... in a word... yeah.
  • highway_chile
    highway_chile Posts: 37
    edited June 2016
    My latest acquisition: Luxman M-300. And yes, at 40wpc in Class A mode it seems to be feeding the SDA-2B's just fine. I'm not trying to blow the roof off because the wife is home, but I'm playing louder than I normally do when she's here and it's sounding quite nice.
    zfriavozst4t.jpg
    u9k1b9jdhxv9.jpg
    vgp10jpyb9k4.jpg
    2bmojg0ji2oi.jpg