• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Cool beans! I passed on some (I think) Monitor 5a's w/ the peerless tweeter
    a long time ago cuz they didn't fit my space. Mistakes were made. :/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    My 5s are serving as a table, holding a (very nice) Kenwood tuner & GAS preamp ;- )
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    you mean, like the "Polk forum"?

;- )

MIT :smile:
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Time for a new girl and she's a 50 pound monster...Sony STR-V7. 150 Watts per channel. This was Sony's TOTL receiver and it was pretty rare in the states. They were popular in Europe. iauo6dcyq6ot.jpg
    lv7s585cckhj.jpg
    GIs managed to find them and bring them back for us to enjoy :smile:
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    @pongshi
    That's a beautiful receiver.
    Congrats
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The Sony stuff of that era ranged from very good in general to amazing -- it was long neglected, but their top-end tuners and amplifiers (the V-FET models) in particular were components for the ages. Modern prices for the Sony gear make it very obvious that the secret got out :-P

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_sony_vfet_40yr.pdf
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    You really nailed it Doc, Sony gear from back then was some of the best of the Japanese brands. That receiver is gorgeous.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It would be impossible to derail this thread! :-)

.... Mine's now in the basement as I have moved along to a classic low-compliance LOMC cartridge which is (at the moment) slumming in a dump find Technics DD tt.

SLQ2.jpg

That said, the Marantz is a pretty good value in terms of price/performance for modern tts - nothing close to "high end", but not a toy/junk (as are most of the current production tts priced at less than $1k, if'n you were to ask me...). If you get one, get a better cartridge for it!
    That looks pristine.I'm hoping to find a Q2,1600mk2,or1700mk2 in as good a shape.I have an SL D2 and Marantz 6300 but would prefer one of the better Technics DD's.A 1200 would be nice but they are selling at a premium right now.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Not pristine, but it's in pretty good shape for a freebie -- and it works as it should.

24190144976_1d5fdb57f4_b.jpgDSC_2461 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Cool beans! I passed on some (I think) Monitor 5a's w/ the peerless tweeter
    a long time ago cuz they didn't fit my space. Mistakes were made. :/
    I sold off my 5a's & small Sansui a few years ago & i talk about it here & the other day i saw these & i should have them by Monday. I cant wait to hear them again. I wont part with them this time. Perfect size too for the spot i got hcehmylrumdt.jpeg

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Look forward to them Ken. Gonna temp use them on tube amp while my 1c's are getting rehab'd & crs+tl's go to living room.... Ive said this many times before. I had the 5a's with Sansui G2000 (i think) 20wpc & wow what a purrfect match. Should be here today or monday. If the condition is as good as pictured i will bring them to a different level. I should say WMG will. He does outstanding work
    Randy/Maine
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    dwqtzt5240ad.jpeg

Picking these up tomorrow.
    Onkyo Radian III's
    I don't see much on the net about these speakers. They are from around 1975 and didn't cost all that much even back then. I've never seen a pair before and may end up selling them if they don't please.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ooh, those are interesting.
    Wonder if they have 'full range' (extended range) drivers in them?

Their tower design underscores that there really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to audio design.

Please share more info on them when they're actually in your clutches :- )

EDIT: The cosmetics of those speakers suggest to me that they're older than 1975 -- not sure if there's any good way to find out for sure.
    heh -- found 'em (I am sure you did, too).

http://audio-heritage.jp/ONKYO/speaker/radian-iii.html

radian-iii(7).jpg

• pumpkinman
    Options
    @mhardy6647

While looking for info I found where they were on sale for $99 at one store in 1975 and $119 at different place in 1976. The may be older than that but that's where I came up with the date.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Options
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    @mhardy6647

While looking for info I found where they were on sale for $99 at one store in 1975 and $119 at different place in 1976. The may be older than that but that's where I came up with the date.

I looked up $200 for a pair and adjusted for inflation. They would cost $882 a pair in 2016.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    any idea why they blocked the woofers a bit. (going by the pic)
    ...waits to be educated again. :)
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    any idea why they blocked the woofers a bit. (going by the pic)
    ...waits to be educated again. :)

qu7uhvp5eytu.jpeg

Red I have no idea
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Options
    4sqe6826glc3.jpeg
    They are home
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    Options
    1l37h6bvogjt.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• pumpkinman
    edited March 2016
    Options
    These won't win any awards for going real low but I'm definitely enjoying them. The imaging on these are terrific.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• boston1450
    Options
    Congrats. Very nice vintage speakers Pman. Got a question & im sure youve mentioned it before. What is that receiver, a Sansui ?
    Randy/Maine
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Congrats. Very nice vintage speakers Pman. Got a question & im sure youve mentioned it before. What is that receiver, a Sansui ?

Yes it's a Sansui 9090 DB. I bought it and a Sansui AU D11II from a repair shop that was closing up. He had them at $350 each. I got both for $400. IIRC
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• boston1450
    Options
    Very nice. I like the early Sansui's.
    Randy/Maine
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Bill, I've got some catching up to do w/ you. Those Onkyo towers from the photo spread do look like both the lower woofers are blocked for some reason but not at home. I also noticed that the top tweets are kinda cantilevered to the left and right. Is this true, which should make them mirror image type. Talking about mirror image, those DCM TF 600s look fantastic and dwarf the Onkyos.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Those Onkyo towers from the photo spread do look like both the lower woofers are blocked for some reason but not at home. I also noticed that the top tweets are kinda cantilevered to the left and right. Is this true, which should make them mirror image type.

The top image posted above by mhardy looks more like a horn cabinet while the lower seems to be a straight forward ported design. It almost looks like the extra piece seen in the top image is an optional part.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    It's the grill cover frame without the fabric on it.
    They left it on the speaker for some reason. ????
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    lwklg4j0j2ev.jpeg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Clears up that mystery. Thanks P-man.
    You're the cats patootie!
  • boston1450
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Look forward to them Ken. Gonna temp use them on tube amp while my 1c's are getting rehab'd & crs+tl's go to living room.... Ive said this many times before. I had the 5a's with Sansui G2000 (i think) 20wpc & wow what a purrfect match. Should be here today or monday. If the condition is as good as pictured i will bring them to a different level. I should say WMG will. He does outstanding work

Randy,they should sound sublime on tubes...I have yet to evaluate mine on my tubes fully however when hooked up to my HK3490 they were able to be driven quite hard and sound quite fine doing so. Don't be fooled, these little babies can soak up a ton of power before they say uncle.
    I got them yesterday & the cabinets & grills are super clean & both tweeter work. Now the bad=both woofers are froze up tight. I contacted seller & they were super nice & they contacted the person who ships & they did not test them. So im gonna buy woofers for them & seller is very flexible & communicating well. I am looking forward to them up n running. Minor speed bump

Randy/Maine