Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    I found my problem. I had one of the connectors wired on 2- instead of 1-. I knew it would be something stupid.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I just finished up wiring up my dreadnaught and making the speakon cables and their connections. This was a really fun way to spend a rainy Saturday and well worth the 12 hour effort. So far I'm quite pleased with the sound improvement over my old A1 interconnect. Once again thanks to Neil for making this possible. Also to Darqueknight and F1nut for the easy to understand instructions on how to do yet another worthwhile mod on these fine old speakers.
    Now the fun starts once again in the listening and break in period.
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Received mine yesterday. Thanks Neil for handling this group buy!
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    So how many people actually have wired it up and tested already? Curious if anyone else has gotten as far as motorstereo and is able to tell if they notice a difference over the straight cable?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    It'll be a few weeks for me as all the parts to finish the Dreadnought and CRS+ mods are yet to arrive.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • motorstereo
    nspindel wrote: »
    So how many people actually have wired it up and tested already? Curious if anyone else has gotten as far as motorstereo and is able to tell if they notice a difference over the straight cable?
    As I mentioned mine got completed yesterday. The first song I played was a mild disappointment. 2nd song got better and it seems with each passing hour now there's been noticeable improvements. I don't know why but the bass seems more pronounced now and I haven't had the want or need to use my 18" sub. Mids are also cleaner as I've been able to pick out a few phrases on recordings that I couldn't make out before. And yes the soundstage seems to have gotten a bit wider also. I can actually tell the difference in the sound as soon as I walk in the door even though I'm behind the rig. And this is the difference from the A1 interconnect that I'd had. The A1 was a noticeable improvement over the straight wire. One other area I noticed a change for the better is that the speakers seem to be a bit more sensitive also. I had been looking for another Mcintosh mc2500 for a bit more wpc but that idea is on hold now as of yesterday. I feel quite certain that this one of the better upgrades that I've made on those tl's in the few years that I've owned them.
  • nspindel
    Anyone here moving up from the 800VA?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • drumminman
    Motostereo, I experienced each of those things when I built my first Dreadnought with an 800VA A-L. It sounded like I had a more powerful amp, the midrange was cleaner, the bass was more tactile and a little cleaner, voices sounded more pure, more natural, better transients (the pluck of a guitar string, a stick hitting a drum or cymbal). And all of that improved yet again when I built my 1000VA Dreadnought.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    nspindel wrote: »
    Anyone here moving up from the 800VA?

When I get my new transformer installed, it will replace a 670VA Toroid of Maryland transformer. This is not the same as an upgrade fro the A-L 800VA transformer, but I'm expecting good things!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    I'll be moving up from the 800 when the damn thing gets here!
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• motorstereo
    drumminman wrote: »
    Motostereo, I experienced each of those things when I built my first Dreadnought with an 800VA A-L. It sounded like I had a more powerful amp, the midrange was cleaner, the bass was more tactile and a little cleaner, voices sounded more pure, more natural, better transients (the pluck of a guitar string, a stick hitting a drum or cymbal). And all of that improved yet again when I built my 1000VA Dreadnought.
    It's nice to know that I am not alone in hearing all these improvements. I've been playing the rig for a few hours each day as it was obvious to me that there's a break in period going on here. The changes in the sound have slowed down a bit now and I'm wondering now how long this break in period will take?
  • drumminman
    Re: burn in, not exactly sure. Seems like around ~200 hours, give or take. IIRC most of the changes occur around 150 hours, but mine improved in more subtle ways up to around 200. There is alot of copper in that tranny.
  • motorstereo
    Hmmm; 200 hours of burn in; I've got quite a ways to go. Right now they're the best I've ever heard them sound and it's nice to know there's even better sound on the horizon.
  • Moose68Bash
    Hmmm; 200 hours of burn in; I've got quite a ways to go. Right now they're the best I've ever heard them sound and it's nice to know there's even better sound on the horizon.

My recollection is that at around 200 hours with the A-V 1000VA transformer in my system with the SRS1.2s I experienced a very noticeable and fairly sudden "opening up" of the sound. and, there were appreciable improvements along the way.

I get impatient; so, when my wife and I go out, I leave the rig playing from my iPod on shuffle during burn in periods. [As an aside, it seems that inevitably when we return, the track being played is one that I had sort of forgotten -- a pleasant surprise in most cases.]
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• nspindel
    I left mine playing while I went away on vacation. Burn in was real easy!
  • Moose68Bash
    That's the way to do it! Take a vacation and also get a component burned it.

A real "twofer.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I don't know why but the bass seems more pronounced now and I haven't had the want or need to use my 18" sub. Mids are also cleaner as I've been able to pick out a few phrases on recordings that I couldn't make out before. And yes the soundstage seems to have gotten a bit wider also. I can actually tell the difference in the sound as soon as I walk in the door even though I'm behind the rig. And this is the difference from the A1 interconnect that I'd had. The A1 was a noticeable improvement over the straight wire. One other area I noticed a change for the better is that the speakers seem to be a bit more sensitive also.

You nailed it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    Has anyone built and burned in a Dreadnought and then gone back and lined the case with copper foil for EMI rejection? Curious about how much of an audible effect/improvement the foil provides.
  • Moose68Bash
    I've lined both of my Dreadnoughts with Dynamat, but not copper foil.

• Mine arrived last Friday. Thank you!
    MacBook Pro running Roon-Monoprice USB-Schiit Gungir Multibit-Audioquest Earth-Schiit Freya with Tung Sol 6SN7s-Audioquest Sky-Krell FPB 400cx-Audioquest Mont Blanc-1.2tls with all the mods.
  • jonicont
    It's here
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• drumminman
    I've lined both of my Dreadnoughts with Dynamat, but not copper foil.

I did the same, but some are going for EMI shielding too. Wonder if it makes an improvement.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Aluminum is good for RF shielding. That much copper could certainly act as an antenna. Copper is good for Electro-Mechanical Interference, caused by adjacent AC lines, poorly shielded transformers, certain types of consumer electronics, even florescent lighting. I certainly doesn't hurt to install it. Just be sure there's a barrier between the Aluminum, if unpainted, and the Copper Foil.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jonicont
    Postman rings the bell. "Just checking if you are home, that package is heavy". Also has my new vinyl (Ty Segall--Manipulator--very electric--could be my #1 of the year). Anyway, sounding great out of the box. Tight bass, good imaging, wide soundstage. We'll see what happens after burn in

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    Mine came today. Felt sorry for the little old mail lady.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Picked mine up today from the post office, girl said must be a car part, it's heavy....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    How can something this small weigh so much?!!!

3efulxjtzds1.jpg
    03v8a38xl7nu.jpg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nspindel
    There's a reason the thing costs as much as it does, huh?
  • jonicont
    When burning in, does volume matter or is just providing a signal enough?

• motorstereo
    jonicont wrote: »
    When burning in, does volume matter or is just providing a signal enough?
    I was wondering the same thing. Just to be safe I have mine burning in at above average listening levels. Thankfully I have my speakers in a building separate from the house so this isn't a problem.
    I'm also still in awe at the sonic upgrade this thing has given me and I've still got a long ways to go on the burn in process.