Curious , how many older polk members are left?

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Willow wrote: »
    Do I qualify as an older member?

No!

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • HI Mantis,

I'm still around--old & retired. Oh, yeah: been around here since 2006 IIRC.

Don't post much, as my interests & taste don't align with most of the folks here. Strictly a 2 channel guy & mostly designing & building single full range driver speakers these days.

I have enjoyed your reviews & comments on Totem speakers over the years!

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2014
    To me, the older members have always been those who were here several years before I got here. So that could be 2004 or even 2003 or less. Certainly the 2000-2001, 2 guys, because many of those Polkies were migrated over to the then NEW site!

I came in '08 although I'd been active with doro on the CC site since '06 and did help out, unintentionally, to push Polk Product on that site--TONS of Polk Product, thank you very much! Those were the days of MarcoPolko (Doro's handle at the Circuit City forums--if I remember correctly).

And speaking of old members? Where is Ted, Shack, Doro, Russman, etc. It's almost like Polk did a "purge" and that history is "classified information"!

I do NOT consider myself an older member though I am, in fact, older in age than Doro, Russman, and mantis, jstas, etc. But not George Grand!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nobody's older than George, only God and dirt.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Jstas wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    Do I qualify as an older member?

No!

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

That's no way to treat your favorite canuck!
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    I sure do enjoy Canadian Beer!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited September 2014
    mlhm5 wrote: »
    they took a perfectly good forum and ruined it. I am assuming it was the work of some new hire who was out to make a name for himself/herself and had no idea of the history of Polk.

+1 to the first part, not sure about the last. From an online encyclopedia--
    va-nil-la: adj. having no special or extra features; ordinary

With that said, I will still check in on an almost daily basis, if for no other reason than to get status updates on Polk Fest. In my opinion there ought to be more people signing up for that, but I also thought more people would sign up for my DVD player karma last month too. I even gave it more time because it coincided with this new forum upgrade; I figured more than 13 people would want a free Denon... but maybe not?

I really hope things will turn around here, as a lot of good people had invested a lot of time helping others, encouraging people to take new directions, think outside the box, etc. It would be a shame if all that was lost. BTW I have been around here for a little over 11 years.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    I've been here since 2005. I think I was one of the first to TL 2b's with a lot of help from some of the real old timers. I don't post as much as some but I look in most days. I do hope Polk will address more of the issues that have been noted but I'm not going anywhere.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I still drop by at lunch. I've been here since dirt was discovered but GG was here before me.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited September 2014
    I've been here 11 yrs so I guess I qualify. I just check in once a day to check the classifieds. Occasionally I might click on a thread but it just seems to take way too much more brain power now and I'm not that motivated to deal with it.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • I'm not left. I'm right.

My ETA here was end of Sep '99. I lay claim to the title "Longest Membership W/O Polks in Main Rig", as I've had the Amazings in there since 1991and nothing else. I've had some of the other stuff (electronics) in there since '91 as well. Now, I've messed around with a lot of Polk speakers here over the years, before and after the Carvers, and find/found almost all of them to be fairly pleasing if not downright pleasing, and affordable. Throw in good CS and it's a no-brainer almost. But not really a Polkie or a Polker here.
  • Been here since 2006. I check in every day.
    MacBook Pro running Roon-Monoprice USB-Schiit Gungir Multibit-Audioquest Earth-Schiit Freya with Tung Sol 6SN7s-Audioquest Sky-Krell FPB 400cx-Audioquest Mont Blanc-1.2tls with all the mods.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I'm a polker. There I said it.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited September 2014
    PEOPLE make the forum, not the "software." Hang tough fellers, we got this.

P.S. I love you George Grand, of the Jersey Grands.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I check in daily, but depending on my work levels...sometimes won't post for a period of time.

This place used to be a safe haven for me. A place to check out for a bit, and connect with people of common interest. I feel like I have a group of people, most who haven't met, who truly care about each other.

Since the new forum, it hasn't felt that way. I'm still on board and going strong, and can/have adjusted to the new layout....but like Steve said...the PEOPLE are missing.

I don't know if they have so much invested in the old forum, that they just quit...or if they are still trying to send a message to Polk that they are pissed off.

Either way...I'm still here, and hope to get that feeling back soon.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • If someone has been passionate and involved in a community it is difficult to leave unless something more major than a web layout change has happened. So I suspect most of the old timers are still around. And I hope they stay. I've learned a lot in the 6 years I've been a CP member. I have several Polk's speakers. Even have a pair of LSi7's at work (will go unnamed 4 letter audio company :-) ) since there was no room in the home for them and I got sick of them being in storage. Fun coming in to work a little early and playing them in the lab.

I will probably always be a Polk fan as long as they continue to put out great speakers. Not crazy about their headphones and other products yet. And I will remain on CP as long as it's relatively active. I hope the admins tweak the CSS template as someone demonstrated is possible. They it will make the look more pleasing.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I came here in '97 when the forum was really primitive. Nothing was going on so I wandered on. Came back again in '98 but again, not much going on but I must have just missed the activity explosion.

But the next 3 years I was busy graduating school and flying to exotic locales to blow stuff up in space. I wandered back in some time in late 2001 and lurked for a while. Started participating in 2002.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    cnh wrote: »
    And speaking of old members? Where is Ted, Shack, Doro, Russman, etc. It's almost like Polk did a "purge" and that history is "classified information"!

I do NOT consider myself an older member though I am, in fact, older in age than Doro, Russman, and mantis, jstas, etc. But not George Grand!

cnh

Also to add Wingnut, Cfrizz, Grimster and a few other active members.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Here since '07. I still check in daily, hoping things are back to normal. :(
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Sherardp wrote: »
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

Also to add Wingnut, Cfrizz, Grimster and a few other active members.

Cathy has been around.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • I am still around. Going on 6 years in November. Ive never been much of a forum poster. I usually search for a few hours before I will ask a question. Its only been within the last year or two that I feel I have enough knowledge to share. Before I was just too stupid to answer any questions so I just trolled around listening to smarter people.

That being said, between this forum, Hometheater shack, and The Carver Site. My knowledge and my systems have grown massively.

This forums does suck compared to the greatness we had before but its still better than nothing.
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    I am just here to get the badges :)
  • tonyb
    All us old farts who have been around since practically the beginning have our joined dates set at July 2001. Polk for some reason at one point decided to reset the joined dates and everyone started at July 2001, even if you were here longer. So if you see a member with a joined date of July 2001, you know they were around a lot longer and qualify as an old ****.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    I am just here to get the badges :)

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Couldn't resist...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I am here, things change life goes on. Good people still here. I am optimistic more will come back and new members find us!
    Carl

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Well, I'm so glad some of you are still around. I'll be honest, I almost didn't come back when I kept getting the upgrade screen be back soon thing. I actually just stumbled my way back here after this garbage was built.
    I do however agree with the comment that the members make the forum not the software. Great point my man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    I've been a member for 9 years. I'm still around. I hated the new forum at first and there are still things not to like but at least the font isn't red any more. I can now browse the forum without it hurting my eyes. I'm not going anywhere but it does seem much less active than before.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Still here, vintage 2005 in my case. New forum's a little rough, but mostly due to the decrease in posting traffic.

I'm hoping that picks up as time goes on. This place/this community has too much going for it to give up on!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Feb 2005, still around. Wife's mother went into hospice care and passed away. Been busy with that.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Polk Audio Forum. I Can't quit you!!! Been around since 2011 lots of good people here. That's what Makes this place a great place to hang out.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)