Curious , how many older polk members are left?

Options

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    I still try to check the forum at least once a week, but I never felt like the old version wasn't good/new enough.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    I have a pop quiz for you. Who coined the immortal Polk phrase, "Life is suck."?

~Waves hand in air~

Oh...oh, I know.....I know....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Still here! I check in once or twice per week. Between the new forum format and the lack of interesting posts, it just doesn't seem like CP is as useful as it used to be. Good to know all the old members are still around, someday I hope to be one of you :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    Options
    From 2001 era. Didn't post a lot but appreciated the advice. New forum format is pretty hard on the eyes and it seems Polk is moving away from it's core fan base.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I'm hoping to eventually buy and restore a pair of CRS+ so ya'll knowledgeable folk better not scamper too far away :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    Options
    lo who's calling who all lol
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have a pop quiz for you. Who coined the immortal Polk phrase, "Life is suck."?

~Waves hand in air~

Oh...oh, I know.....I know....

Bet you the kid is clueless about it.

• george daniel
    Options
    Hmmmm,, did the person that coined that phrase host a Polkfest?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • george daniel
    Options
    For some reason I was thinking TroyD,,,,but now that I think about it,,,does the guys hair look like it is standing still even when he is moving lightening fast?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • George Grand
    Options
    Nope. Not even close.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    That's funny. I have a Hispanic girl that works for me and she said that same phrase.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Ugh.

IIRC, it was PETERNG.

Who is currently banned for some reason and I'm not sure why. He'd get into arguments and such but so did everyone else. He was a nice guy otherwise.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • George Grand
    Options
    Peter Ng indeed. See if it rings a bell with the kid.
  • George Grand
    Options
    The kid claims he was here for more than a decade. It was more like a year or two.
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Well I'm back and I'm not going anywhere, I'm gonna stick it out until people comeback or we will build a new club, Who's with me?

I'm back and I miss the old forums...but I loved the conversations and discussions we had, and I want it back.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • Jstas
    Options
    Who was here for more than a decade? PETERNG?

He was here maybe 5 or 6 years tops. He was super active for like 2 years and then petered off for a while (heh. petered). He started getting active after he got booted from another audio nerd site.

There's not that many people here that have been around a decade or more and are still active.

I wonder how many people remember when Club Polk first started in 1997 and you needed a Polk Audio product serial number to actually get in to Club Polk?

http://web.archive.org/web/19980704044007/http://www.polkaudio.com/cpredf.htm

I used the number off my Polk Audio 5" EX Series 2 EX501a's to sign up.

http://web.archive.org/web/19971211235322/http://www.polkaudio.com/

Yeah, that's some Polk Audio nerd cred right there.

I've been a nuisance longer than my "join date" implies.

• Jstas
    Options
    I signed up in '97 but it was deader than a door nail and kept changing every few days. It must have stabilized some time in '98 'cause it exploded in activity in like March of '99. But I was too busy trying to graduate to notice.

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I joined in 2009, but was lurking here every so often since around 2004.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well -- I know I've reiterated this ad nauseum but I've owned a pair of Model 7As since I bought 'em, as demonstrators, at Soundscape in Baltimore in 1978. How long have I been here? I dunno... a while...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    How many are left ?

....enough to drive the newer members bat sh$t crazy, that's how many.lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Still at W. Coldspring Lane, still selling Polk speakers ! Audio landmark since 1930. :)

http://www.soundscapemd.com/
  • gdb
    Options
    Not sure why the url link no worky. :\
  • mhardy6647
    Options

gdb wrote: »
    Still at W. Coldspring Lane, still selling Polk speakers ! Audio landmark since 1930. :)

http://www.soundscapemd.com/

Yup, but they actually started as Park Radio Downtown. In the 1970s, when I was at JHU, the downtown store was still open... my hifi chums & I knew the Dorsey brothers (John, Big Ed, and Richard) well. Much beer was consumed (and occasionally other things) and much fine music listened to there over many years.

• gdb
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Huh. I thought that they'd vacated the W. North Avenue near Park in 1975. I guess their web page needs to be edited. I used to hang at Peabody and the MD. Institute Of Art back in the late 60's, LOTS of fun in Bawlmer ! :D Hon !
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    I joined in 2007, so I definitely would not consider myself one of the "older polk members" :p

I used to hang around a lot, for a couple of years, or so ... but we owned Polks for a while before I joined. I was just upgrading in 2007.

Not much free time any more, unfortunately, and no time to mess around with audio gear at all. I very much appreciate the "older polk members" though, as mantis called them (even if I don't always agree with them), and I recognize almost every name in this thread. It's still fun to visit from time to time, but some newer members (mostly 2007 or newer, I mean) really took this forum in a very "messy" direction in my opinion. I'm not sure they were ever really here for the audio. I also wonder if that isn't part of the reason Polk Audio decided to make big changes. Some of that stuff would hardly appeal to any reasonable customer actually seeking information.

The new design doesn't bother me, really. It's actually a lot easier to read on my 12" laptop that I usually use for personal stuff.

I still drop by "incognito" from time to time ... just to see what's going on.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    umm... I think I need a drink of water...
  • George Grand
    Options
    Is that all? I could use a complete dunking right now.
  • potee
    potee Posts: 610
    Options
    I'm not an old guy but not newbie either. I learned a lot on here but like most I just turn in weekly.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Potee as in Potee Street in South Baltimore? :- )