The most dynamic, well recorded music you have heard to date....

Comments

• PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited March 2012
    Agree! Yucca Flats are Mapleshade Shade artists and the recording is very dynamic. I am going to have to look more into their recordings.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Pretty much anything done by Mapleshade.

I am listening to classical now.
    http://mapleshaderecords.com/cds/11882.php

And, reggae is up next.
    http://mapleshaderecords.com/cds/06552.php
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • TSWisla
    TSWisla Posts: 446
    edited March 2012
    Pixies Doolittle or Surfer Rosa, stunning!
    Zu Soul Supreme
    Coincident Frankenstein mkIII
    Esoteric K-07
  • john2nhoj
    john2nhoj Posts: 6
    edited March 2012
    New here.

I have found that it's best to test music you don't particularly care for in these kind of tests and pay more attention to clarity and detail than whether you are a fan of who you are listening to, with your own particular bias.

If your system can make something you don't particularly care for sound good or at least better than you know it, then it will also work with what you do like unless that was just engineered badly to begin with.

John
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited March 2012
    Zappa had control over his recording and mixing and did a stellar job with his albums.Steely Dan had great recordings and amazing session Guitarist's like Dean Parks and Larry Carlton.i have Aja on MFSL 24k redbook and it is very good.Windham Hill records had beautiful recordings with my favorites being Guitarist Michael Hedges and Bassist Michael Manring.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • unclebiskabobka
    unclebiskabobka Posts: 109
    edited March 2012
    Some of the best recorded songs with some incredible dynamics that I've heard are 'Rylynn' by Andy Mckee, 'Catherine' by Tommy Gauthier, the 'Seasons' movement by Mae, and 'Sleep' by Eric Whitacre....
    Actually, pretty much anything by Eric Whitacre has wonderful dynamics. His music has moments where you are completely blown away by the power and beauty of combined voices, but then the crescendo fades, and you're leaning forward, clinging to every whisper of a word.
    TV - LG 42" LED
    Receiver - Pioneer VSX-521
    Front speakers - Polk Monitor 40's Series II
    Center - Polk Monitor CS1 Series II
    Surround - Polk Audio OWM3
    Subwoofer - JBL L8400P

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."

~Ray Charles~
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited March 2012
    Zappa's -Joe's Garage
    Just picked up SACD box set of old Genesis 1970-1975 Selling England by the pound
    Gentle Giant -Octopus
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • lhester
    lhester Posts: 12
    edited March 2012
    Al DiMeola-Elegant Gypsy
  • batjac
    batjac Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    This was actually the first CD I ever bought, back in '84-'85. It was the demo CD that the music store used when they sold me on my Monitor 10B's. Still pop it in occasionally.
    FTGV wrote: »
    Telarc's Time warp. http://www.discogs.com/Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Time-Warp/release/1416055
    By far the most dynamic disc in my collection.A real woofer torchure test in parts.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2012
    Always thought Lionel Richie's stuff was recorded well. Especially something like "You are". The tracks seem layered.

For a bit of diversity let me add some Italian flavor... Adriano Celentano. Only a Youtube video, but CDs sound great. I didn't want to embed the video as to avoid cluttering the thread. The lyrics are nice too, if you know Italian.
    Per Sempre - http://youtu.be/dF6KJF5V8ow
    Senza Amore - http://youtu.be/TM2jIH0v0xg
  • colddirt
    colddirt Posts: 30
    edited April 2012
    Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - "my home is in the delta" or "good morning little school girl", - if your stereo can pull those two songs off at 11 volume you know you've done it right.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2012
    One of my best recorded cd's I have is Sara K. "Hell or High water". This is an XRCD high resolution cd and sounds phenominal. Huge sound stage. It is spendy though. Amazon has it for $30.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2012
    ^ Is it this?

http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Or-High-Water-Sara/dp/B000EQINQS

The reviews say it's SACD but I can't tell from the product description. Hey look, mp3 downloadable too! *ducks*
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2012
    Na, here is the xrcd version: http://www.amazon.com/Hell-High-Water-XRCD-Master/dp/B000K4X76A/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1334245292&sr=1-2-catcorr

Holy smokes the price is $75 for a used copy! I bet someone can find this for a better price as this price is ridiculous.
  • Cougar
    Cougar Posts: 10
    edited April 2012
    The Beatles Love in surround.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,884
    edited October 2012
    Here's a new one to me. Just got it in today. Incredible imaging, realism and authority. DTD recording. One of the best I have heard.

51RWyirPHIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jchandler3
    jchandler3 Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    I have a few favorite reference songs:

Mind Trick - Jamie Cullum
    Desperate for Love - Over the Rhine
    Psalm 13 - Shane Barnard & Shane Everett (Evening with Shane & Shane)
  • Devlon
    Devlon Posts: 355
    edited October 2012
    Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds "Live at Radio City Hall" on Blu ray. One of the best recordings of acoustic guitars ever!
    Living Room: HK AVR 354 as pre/pro, 2 x Polk Audio Micropro 4000, Adcom GFA-7500, 2 x Mirage OMD-15
    2 x Mirage OMD-5, 1 x Mirage OMD-C1, APC H15, Sony S790, Philips 52" LCD, Beogram 3000, FAT (Firestone Audio Tobby DAC), Harmony One

Den: Sherwood R-972,as pre/pro, 2 x Velodyne SPL-1000R, 3 x Crown Drivecore XLS1500, 2 x Polk Audio Lsi9
    1 x Polk Audio Lsic, 2 x Polk Audio Lsifx, Sony S790, APC H15, Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0, W4S DAC 2, Keces DA-151
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited October 2012
    Stacey Kent;Special Edition Collection;I,II and III....All 24bit Remastered and reg.price on Amazon.....Absolutely superb,The finest vocal jazz recordings,I've ever heard:wink:
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited November 2012
    Great thread. Most of my favorites have already been listed, but this one deserves honorable mention:

Elton John - Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

I have the original 1987 master and it has great dynamics. I've not had the opportunity to hear the 1998 remaster.
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • vulcan
    vulcan Posts: 91
    edited November 2012
    Yes 90125 on vinyl is one of the better recordings I have heard on my rig. Amazing detail and soundstage,
    blew me away. Best sounding CD so far were Rush Greatest Hits and Alan Parson Project I Robot.
    Polk Audio SDA 1C, Klipsch Legend KLF 20, Klipsch Chorus II
  • pietro944
    pietro944 Posts: 720
    edited November 2012
    Check out The Tierney Sutton Band's:"American Road"....Extraordinary voice;Superb recording:cool:
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited November 2012
    That is an awesome song for SDAs IMO.
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited November 2012
    Just about anything live from Phish, but most especially "Run Like An Antelope," "Split Open and Melt," and "Crosseyed and Painless."

The live version of "Immortality" from Pearl Jam is great too.

My apologies in advance to anyone who disagrees. Never been connoisseur of hifi, but personally would categorize the above-noted songs as "dynamic" and "well recorded."
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • treitz3
    treitz3 wrote: »
    We all have reference recordings. We all have our favorite genre's of music. We all have out favorite albums. What would you say is your "must have" recording that has a stellar dynamic range that shows what it is that your rig can really do?

I recently came across one that I'd like to share. Strange, to say the least but since the first time I heard it all of the way through? I yearn to hear it again. Here's my contribution...

Hugh Masekela, "Stimela" 10 minutes and 5 seconds long.

What say you?

Well, it has been more than a decade since this thread started and I was wondering if you have discovered anything else during the time that has passed.

Also, I do need to clarify something. The song I mention above does not sound anywhere near what the Burmester CD offers. I have both the regular album and the Burmester one. Night and day difference!

What say you?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    edited May 18
    It is almost impossible to find on vinyl, but Count Basie's "Me and You" has the widest dynamic range of any recording I know. The mastering engineer must not have read the memo about what can go on a record.

7wwn1b9s4q91.png
  • treitz3
    Thanks, Ken. I guess I got lucky, as I was able to snag a NM LP of this just now.

Tom
  • treitz3
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    Live Recordings at Red Rose Music. A pure DSD recording by Mark Levinson. Recorded live right in his NYC store.

The realism and the dynamics are just stunning! I found a copy from a stereo shop in Australia.

CJ

It took me probably 6 years to finally find a copy of this. Glad I was persistent!

Tom
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    It took me quite a while, I finally found an unopened copy in France. I first heard about this record from a YouTube channel recommendation. Most jazz guides don't have it very high in terms of his rankings, but any Count Basie is worth having. I hope you enjoy it.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    Basie Jam, also on Pablo, is one of my favorites. Probably not in the same league as the one mentioned above.
  • mikejedi0619
    mikejedi0619 Posts: 108
    CDs

“Drive” Russ Freeman solo album — 2002
    “Between the Sheets “ Fourplay —- 1993

Vinyl

“A Love Supreme” John Coltrane UHQR 45 RPM Analogue Productions remaster 2023

I’m sure there is more just off the top of my head what I’ve been listening to lately

;)