Polkfest 2012

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited September 2012
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'm just saying man....I'm not going to get onsite until 10am easy but nothing needs me....aside from those of you who need a shoulder to cry on or moral support prior to festivities. My work is done when that day arrives since I've lost weeks of my life to help this event but don't worry about me John, I'll be ok you douchebag. You need more than beauty sleep brother.....

Mark

Man, you want some cheese to go with all that whine?

And I remember somewhere the time being 10 AM which surprised me to see it be 9AM. That's going to be a drag 'cause it means I gotta fight rush hour traffic through Wilmington and likely the east end of Baltimore.

And what's a few weeks anyway? Not like you were going to do anything constructive with them anyway!

I'm thinkin' I need my rape whistle and stun gun at this point.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2012
    I'm gonna try like hell to suck up to the female employees, so I'll have that area covered.

LOL:cheesygrin:I take it Mrs. Grand won't be with you George! LOL
    Jstas wrote: »
    And I remember somewhere the time being 10 AM which surprised me to see it be 9AM....

The last time it was at HQ, it did start at 10:00, this tells me they got a full day planned for us!

Wow am I getting excited!!!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited September 2012
    And I remember somewhere the time being 10 AM which surprised me to see it be 9AM. That's going to be a drag 'cause it means I gotta fight rush hour traffic through Wilmington and likely the east end of Baltimore.
    Good point. Just a reminder for all, the northwest corner of the Baltimore Beltway (695 between 70 and 83) can be a bear that time of day. If your GPS/directions tell you it's going to take you 30 minutes to get there without traffic, you might consider doubling that if you want to be on time. Then again, Friday traffic usually isn't quite so bad. In any case, it's predictably unpredictable...
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2012
    For those coming down from up north the morning of I'd suggest taking 95S through the Ft McHenry Tunnel, then to 695 towards Towson. Taking 95S to 695 around the topside of Baltimore you are running the gauntlet traffic wise.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    I'm with Jstas on that 9 AM deal! Think I'll drive to the outskirts of the city by Thursday night. Will look for a hotel in the next day or two. Then try, try, try, to wake up in time to drive to HQs. Good luck on that, my earliest classes are 11 AM; I didn't choose my profession because I enjoy Farmer's hours (no offense meant). lol Then I actually have to "find" Polk! Seems unlikely that will all happen by 9 AM.

As for Saturday, I'm sleeping in boys and girls. See you before noon! It's going to be rough doing Maine to Baltimore all at once with one driver and a recovering foot (now 3+ months out from a surgically repaired Achilles)!

Till then. Baltimore or "bust"! Probably have to have some alignment done this week, my front end is vibrating after recent strut/spring replacement! If you guys see a 10 year old Bronze Impala (Maine plates) with a middle aged dude with a goatee wearing a grey Batman cap cursing at it: please stop and give me a ride! lol

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited September 2012
    9am is not early... lol!

Farmers hours are more like 5am ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2012
    I hope everyone has a great time! Really wish i could be there.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2012
    Anyone coming in Thursday, in time for dinner say 630pm, please PM me. We have something planned and would like to get some more intimate feedback to some issues. I'm setting up the reservations and need to know how many folks will be here. Thanks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2012
    I posted this agenda on the edited first page but here it is for an update....

AGENDA:

PolkFest
    September 21st – In Office
    9:00 Welcome
    Show Polk Anthem Video
    Opening Statements - KAB
    Speaking Bawlmer - Stu
    Show Music Diary
    Break into Groups

9:45 Tour 7 stations
    Tour 1
    Tour 2
    Group UF6000, 8000, - Video- Joe Phelps
    SB5000 or substitute – Main - Steve Kahn
    SB9000 – Front demo - ASB
    LSiM 2 Channel – Lab 4 - MJS
    LSiM 7.1 Channel – CI Lab - KAB or equivalent

1:05 LUNCH
    2:00 Research Presentation - LSiM
    3:00 Break
    3:20 Q&A - Feedback on demos, products, forum, website, recommendations, criticisms, accolades, questions, etc.
    4:15 Award Ceremony
    4:30 Giveaways?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited September 2012
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I posted this agenda on the edited first page but here it is for an update....

AGENDA:

PolkFest
    September 21st ? In Office
    9:00 Welcome
    Show Polk Anthem Video
    Opening Statements - KAB
    Speaking Bawlmer - Stu
    Show Music Diary
    Break into Groups

9:45 Tour 7 stations
    Tour 1
    Tour 2
    Group UF6000, 8000, - Video- Joe Phelps
    SB5000 or substitute ? Main - Steve Kahn
    SB9000 ? Front demo - ASB
    LSiM 2 Channel ? Lab 4 - MJS
    LSiM 7.1 Channel ? CI Lab - KAB or equivalent

1:05 LUNCH
    2:00 Research Presentation - LSiM
    3:00 Break
    3:20 Q&A - Feedback on demos, products, forum, website, recommendations, criticisms, accolades, questions, etc.
    4:15 Award Ceremony
    4:30 Giveaways?
    Dam you Mark. :frown:

Hm... If I can find my 3,000 mile extension cord, Garb the battery charger, a big bag of Twinkies, and a case or two of Red Bull, a heavy coat and leave in the next hour I just might be able to make it by the 21st in my power chair.

So if any of you guys driving in happen to see an old balding bearded **** in a power wheelchair cruising down the middle of the road oblivious to everything around him please don't run me down or run over the extension cord.:twisted:

Seriously wish I could make it but it's just not in the cards for me. All you guys have fun.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2012
    One week to go!!!
    Carl

• Jstas
    edited September 2012
    I could be there for din din on Thursday if it was worth my while.

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2012

Would hookers and blow make it worth it? :cool:
    No excuses!
  • mdaudioguy
    edited September 2012
    A scenario like today's current traffic snarl probably wouldn't make it too bad for too many people, but this is a good example of what it can be like. They just said on TV that traffic in the red area was moving at about 5 to 10 mph...
    Just a heads up.
    Screenshot_2012-09-14-07-32-08.jpg
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2012
    Don't scare them away MDAG!!
  • mdaudioguy
    edited September 2012
    Just trying to encourage a little advance planning! I'd rather be in a room full of smiling faces at 9 o'clock than have a bunch of grumpy dudes walking in at 9:30!

I just drove through that ish on my way to work, but I'd rather be late to work every day than be late for my one opportunity to visit Polk HQ! :biggrin:
  • Jstas
    edited September 2012
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Would hookers and blow make it worth it? :cool:

Maybe.

You can hold on to the hookers and blow and throw some free speaks my way. That'd be more worth it and probably cheaper too.

• strider
    edited September 2012
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I just drove through that ish on my way to work, but I'd rather be late to work every day than be late for my one opportunity to visit Polk HQ! :biggrin:

And it started at 6:20AM when I was coming through...
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2012
    These concerns about traffic on the morning of the 21st make me a bit nervous. I'm coming from the Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus. I was planning to take University to West Cold Spring Lane to Reisterstown Road to West Northern Parkway to Metro Drive.

Does this route, which seems to be a "reverse commute," pass through any areas where commuter traffic could cause a significant delay?

Thanks for any intelligence anybody can give me about this or a better route.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• strider
    edited September 2012
    These concerns about traffic on the morning of the 21st make me a bit nervous. I'm coming from the Johns Hopkins Homewood Campus. I was planning to take University to West Cold Spring Lane to Reisterstown Road to West Northern Parkway to Metro Drive.

Does this route, which seems to be a "reverse commute," pass through any areas where commuter traffic could cause a significant delay?

Thanks for any intelligence anybody can give me about this or a better route.

You will be fine. My concern (Ed's too, if I may be so bold as to assume) would be the folks coming from out of town the morning of and relying on Mapquest time estimates for when to leave. If you're inside the city already and know how to get around, it is just another day in the 'hood.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Moose68Bash
    edited September 2012
    Strider, thank you. I have a daughter at JHU and therefore know enough about Baltimore traffic to respect the challenges it can pose. I've even visited the Polk HQ once quite by accident or serendipity, when I had to go to the neighboring Comcast facility to sign her up for Internet service in June. But I am no expert -- just a JHU parent. Thanks, again.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2012
    Hello,
    I can recommend taking Coldspring Lane all the way to Wabash Ave, turn right onto Wabash. Take this (keep to the speed limit) until Northern Parkway, turn left and take the right at the next traffic light. I drove this for quite a few years without any serious delays.
    Regards, Ken
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited September 2012
    Both my son and I will be there. Looking forward to it!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2012
    I so wish I could be there. Its killing me that I have to miss this one. at least I can say I was there at the last factory tour.
  • Moose68Bash
    edited September 2012
    Hello,
    I can recommend taking Coldspring Lane all the way to Wabash Ave, turn right onto Wabash. Take this (keep to the speed limit) until Northern Parkway, turn left and take the right at the next traffic light. I drove this for quite a few years without any serious delays.
    Regards, Ken

Ken,

Thank you. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for the instructions about building the AI-1 interconnect for non-common ground amps.

Regards, Phil

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2012
    Greetings Phil!

It's always fun to have new members and first timers attend Polkfest. Travel safe and I know that you will enjoy the 'Fest.
    Carl

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2012

I would stay home if I were you
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Jstas
    edited September 2012
    That wasn't very nice, Russ.

• Moose68Bash
    edited September 2012
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Greetings Phil!

It's always fun to have new members and first timers attend Polkfest. Travel safe and I know that you will enjoy the 'Fest.

Thank you. At Polkfest, I'm looking forward to connecting some faces to the handles on this Forum. I've found many posts to be very helpful. I'm grateful for all the work others have done and shared readily to help those of us who want to improve our vintage Polks without having to start from scratch. Some, like me, may be pretty good at following instructions, but do not have the technical expertise to do the mods on our own. See you on Friday, I hope!

• thejakekatz
    thejakekatz Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    Just wanted to say hi! I'm Mike's (BigDawg around here) son. It'll be my first time at Polkfest and I'm quite excited for it! If anyone will still be around on Sunday, coincidentally, the group I am a FOH engineer for called the RockNRoll Chorus will be performing at the Hard Rock in the Inner Harbor. It's a one-off date (we're actually from New Jersey) and the timing couldn't have been better in facilitating my ability to go to Polkfest.

Psyched to see HQ and everyone else!