Game of Thrones

Comments

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2012
    It's hard for me to watch shows but I did start watching this. I just know what the story is or who the characters are.

I think I'll read it if it's widely available.
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited April 2012
    ^ agree, the books are on my short list, maybe I should try reading one on the iPad... I haven't done that yet.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    edited April 2012
    drumminman wrote: »
    You haven't read the books I take it. You ain't seen nothin' yet! :eek: Cersei is mean as a damn snake too. But quite possibly the worst is Roose Bolton's **** son, Ramsey, who hasn't been introduced yet.

Love Tyrion - what a smart, clever little f--ker! :cool:
    No i haven't. I usually read non fiction. But for this series i think i'll make an exception. They have a set with the 1st 4 novels on Amazon for $21. I hear the series follows the books pretty accurately. Hope they keep it up.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2012
    I'm half way through season 1 and I'm liking it more and more.
    This is a fantastic show and I'm glad it was brought to my attention.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2012
    Damn that last episode Sunday had a kickass ending.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2012
    Ron, you meant T&A ending? :smile:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2012
    Well yeah...and the very end right before the credits rolled.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2012
    hTciq.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2012
    I haven't seen the show...but I've read the first book and actually just started the second one. The first one was great, and the second one is seeming to be very good so far.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    edited May 2012
    Just watched the 1st two episodes of season 1 on dvd from Netflix. The Mrs was unhappy that there are only 2 on the dvd and said to get the rest ASAP. Thanx to this thread for the heads up on this series! Between this and Boardwalk Empire I'm almost tempted to pick up HBO.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    Seen episode 5 last nite. I wonder who Arya Stark is gonna use her remaining 2 picks on.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2012
    chumlie wrote: »
    Seen episode 5 last nite. I wonder who Arya Stark is gonna use her remaining 2 picks on.

She's very clever in the way she chooses! One tough little girl.

In the books all the characters are young since few lived to a ripe old age back then. Rob: 16 yo; Arya 8 or 9 yo; Sansa 13 yo.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    I thought she kinda wasted the first pick. But ya can hardly blame her.
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2012
    I read the book and just put this in my Netflix que :)
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited May 2012
    Ern Dog wrote: »
    I read the book and just put this in my Netflix que :)

You mean the books :biggrin:
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    DMara wrote: »
    You mean the books :biggrin:

Yep, currently 5 of them with G.R.R. Martin writing the 6th. Wish he'd hurry up :wink:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    Loved episode 6 last night, but a plot development had me scratching my head. Why did they have someone steal Danerys' dragons to get her to enter the House of the Undying instead of, as in the book, have her enter to seek answers?

Also, they turned Jeyne Westerling's character into Talisa from Volantis. Not sure why.
    Seems kind of cheap and obvious to me, sort of TV-ish.

Man, lots of gore last night!
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    Also, looks like Bran and Rickon has escaped Winterfell, but I didn't see the introduction of the characters Meeren and Jojen.
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    Two down, one left for Arya. I see the plot thicking as Jon Snow snuggles with the wildling.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited May 2012
    How about some spoiler alerts for those back on season 1?! haha

I love this show. It started out a bit gory for my taste, but all in all, I like it. My wife and I started watching the first season on the touchpad on a flight to Portland, and after the first 15 minuts realized people all around us probably thought we were watching ****. :lol:

Another excellent show, although of a different vein, is Breaking Bad, now in its 6th season. Crazy good. And some of the best character development ever. For Netflix-havers, this is a must see.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    Two down, one left for Arya. I see the plot thicking as Jon Snow snuggles with the wildling.

S-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 much is gon'na happen this season! It'll make your head spin :eek:, and then there's next season, and. . . . .
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    drumminman wrote: »
    S-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 much is gon'na happen this season! It'll make your head spin :eek:, and then there's next season, and. . . . .
    I gather you've read all the books. How does the show stack up in your opinion ?
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    I gather you've read all the books. How does the show stack up in your opinion ?

I read 2-5, but I didn't read Game of Thrones, the first one. Season 2 pretty much encompasses the 2nd one, A Clash Of Kings. The script writers are sticking to the books pretty well within the constraints they have (budget, time). The plot turns get a bit complicated, and some of the vignettes are so complicated they'd be difficult to convey and make sense. The main story elements are there, though certain scenes are combined or left out for clarity or to move things along a bit quicker.

IMHO one of the best elements of the series is casting, especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Lena Headey as Cersei, and whoever that guy is that plays Tywin Lannister.

Interested to see who is gonna play Ramsey Bolton, Roose Bolton's son. That character is one mean, nasty dude.
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    Wow!! Never thought Theon Greyjoy would get that nasty, still wondering if that really is Bran & Rickon that he burned to a crisp. I was thinking Bran's character would develope more.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I don't think it was Bran. Surely he would have had 4 bodies there. The plot sure is thickening, though.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • drumminman
    edited May 2012
    Theon is really a petty, incompetant **** bag. He screws up everything he attempts.

Prepare for some major plot turns! Bwwaa-haa-haa-haa-haaaaah!

Episode 7 has several fairly significant deviations from A Clash of Kings. Some are understandable, some I don't get.

This season Danerys is coming off like a real Diva! And Cersei - those scense between her and Tyrion, and her and Sansa were actually touching. In the book she's more of a cold hearted, egotistical megalomaniac. I'm betting she'll revert to form.

Only two episodes left this season, with the last being two hours. What an ending it's gonna be!
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2012
    Just received my blu-ray copy too :) Looking forward to watching it
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • Servian
    Servian Posts: 5
    edited May 2012
    This is worth watching show you prob don't want to have your kids watching it though.
  • chumlie
    edited May 2012
    The boys live, the girl escapes and Jamie is set free. Can't wait to see what happens next. Gonna have to get the books now that season 2 is ending.
  • chumlie
    edited June 2012
    One episode left. Looking forward to seeing what happened to all the girls/woman on the season finale. Not to mention Jaimie, whats happening at the wall, is Stark gonna attack. Hope they don't leave everything open for next year.