Why Are You Mad At Cables You Can't Afford?

Options

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Also, it does not help when people like DK bring up yet another thread (4 now) on cables within a week.... it just ends up as a great big merged thread for the same thing.

If that is how you really feel and you are not just being hypocritical, why so many posts in recent cable-related threads?

Why do you have any posts in this cable-related thread?
    CableRelatedThreads4-11-s.jpg

[Note: My post count in this thread noted in the table above is inclusive of this post.]

Such good stats.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited April 2011
    Options
    CableRelatedThreads4-11-s.jpg

I'm bustin' a gut here. :biggrin:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ouch! Facts sometimes get in the way..............

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited April 2011
    Options
    What do I do without Club Polk?

Time means nothing here. We are Ageless and Forever Young! :biggrin:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ... how many of those threads did I start?

I don't understand how me posting in your thread has anything to do with you starting this thread which was completely unnecessary. The only purpose this thread could possibly have is to start things up... again (the title alone makes that completely obvious).
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2011
    Options
    for those keeping score... that makes 46.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Then why did you post in it? :confused: Such contradiction. :rolleyes:

Thanks for playing, Cherry. We have some wonderful parting gifts for you. :biggrin:

That's not a contradiction... regardless to whether or not I want the thread to be posted, it will still be posted. My silence will not change this. If I started posting similar threads, I would be contradicting myself.

More importantly, it does not change the fact that DK posted this thread in order to start ****. If that was not his intention, or if he did not realize this before posting, he would have to be dumber than hellen keller... before the miracle worker
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Now Now children let's all take some Valium and mellow out.

After all cables are just wire, all amps are the same and vinyl is for little girls. :tongue:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    hellen who? :confused:

My bad (spelling)

but you know I meant Anne Frank.. she was deaf dumb and blind...:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVjafyLilug
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hello,
    Actually Anne Frank was a child who died during WWII, I believe you are referring to Helen Keller.
    Regards, Ken

ah, I knew someone wouldn't get it..... Clerks 2!
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Bringing Helen Keller and Anne Frank into this discussion is revolting and disgusting, you folks need to grow up and find some other metaphor for your mud slinging. I STRONGLY request this thread be closed.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Threads like this are very insightful
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This thread needs pictures
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited April 2011
    Options
    One more post CwV and it will be an even 50:tongue:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I assume some or most of the people posting on here has read Speaker Wire,a History,by Roger Russell, with the testaments of Gordon Gow(president of McIntosh Labs,at the time)! I have no need or desire to add to the argument either way,however;i wanted to add that this is very good reading material! As well as Roger Russell's Article! Good day Gents! http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#gordongow
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2011
    Options
    bobsauto49 wrote: »
    I assume some or most of the people posting on here has read Speaker Wire,a History,by Roger Russell, with the testaments of Gordon Gow(president of McIntosh Labs,at the time)! I have no need or desire to add to the argument either way,however;i wanted to add that this is very good reading material! As well as Roger Russell's Article! Good day Gents! http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#gordongow
    ROTFLMAO!!! You are new on the hobby and the history of cable debates on here. This link was brought more often than you think. Stay away from this thread if you do not want to be linched or eaten alive (I admit good article but honestly it will not stick to well here, just like soft mud)! :wink::biggrin::tongue:

Couldn't resist :tongue:
    Looking at this from a different perspective, there will always be those who will want expensive wire, not because there is an audible difference, but because they may value pride of ownership and prestige in a similar way to that of owning a Tiffany lamp or a Rolex watch.
    Ah the prestige of the rolex! Right? DK :tongue:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited April 2011
    Options

"Bob's Auto 49 . . . for all your Tire and HiFi Needs" :biggrin:
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • bobsauto49
    bobsauto49 Posts: 973
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sorry Tech! But i must say, I thought that Article was Astounding! A must read for newbies like me! Guess i'll shut up now!
    "Everything I ever did in my life worthwhile I caught hell for"
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Sorry Tech! But i must say, I thought that Article was Astounding! A must read for newbies like me! Guess i'll shut up now!
    BTW, welcome to Club Polk! :smile: My intention by far to be mean to you, quite the opposite just want to protect from trauma. :wink: I posted that link maybe 3 years ago and after the public beating I cried for 2 weeks!:eek:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This thread needs pictures

crazyjump.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Best picture ever.
    +1... everyone needs a hobby... may as well be indoor balcony jumping.

Hard to believe this thread rolls on while pfb's honest question sits shut down.

DK,
    I love ya man, but this thread was beneath you.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited April 2011
    Options
    If that is how you really feel and you are not just being hypocritical, why so many posts in recent cable-related threads?

Wire threads here are like political or religious threads in some other forums.
    They almost always end up the same way. You've been here long enough to know that yet you continue to start them. The title of this thread itself seems to have been so titled to provoke.
    A blind test would be easy to set up to prove if some people can hear a difference. But it won't happen. I'm not a naysayer so much as I am a doubter.
    Another point for a few others........it matters not one whit how long one has been posting here or how many posts one has. I've been an audio enthusiast since 1972 yet I know very little about the technical side of the hobby. I know non technical people who weren't even born when I bought my first speaker yet they know more about audio than I ever will and the are willing to discuss it with me and never talk down to me like some here like to do. "Talking down" can be very subtle but it's there.:smile::smile::smile: Be happy. I am.
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • DON73
    DON73 Posts: 516
    edited April 2011
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    MIT T4 used off Audiogon. :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation.

Years back I read an article that related an experience with a very expensive cable with a black box near one end. When the box was opened nothing but a small cheap resistor was found. I'm somewhat wary of speaker wires with little boxes attached:smile::smile:
    TO ERR IS HUMAN. TO FORGIVE IS CANINE.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's funny to sit back and watch the trolls *female dog* the night away. Would it be too much for you guys to stay on topic? I.E. Why are you mad at cables you can't afford......?

It's just a question. I, for one, would like to hear a logical answer.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited April 2011
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It's funny to sit back and watch the trolls *female dog* the night away. Would it be too much for you guys to stay on topic? I.E. Why are you mad at cables you can't afford......?

It's just a question. I, for one, would like to hear a logical answer.

Buy what ever you want. Just stop stating that perceived gains are 'facts' that sit in the absolute.

So far I have been through Audio Quest King Cobra 1M XLR's and now the MIT EXP2. They haven't done any better or any worse than competent Belden/Canare that I run.

I put the EXP2's through some more listening today and the punch of drums, the decay of cymbals all resolve like they do on my standard setup. I'm happy with my setup and all the tweaking that I have done. These were a simple curiosity for me and I have no real desire to tweak my L/C/R since I have it dialed out to my liking.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited April 2011
    Options
    An interesting read: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/04/audiophile_test_speaker_wire_ac_power_cable_record_demagnetizer-2/

if you're going to comment on it, please read the whole thing. I think it offers good insight from a specific perspective.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited April 2011
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    An interesting read: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/04/audiophile_test_speaker_wire_ac_power_cable_record_demagnetizer-2/

if you're going to comment on it, please read the whole thing. I think it offers good insight from a specific perspective.

Good article. I bet if the author had more time, and used music better recorded, he would have been able to better describe the differences. The fact he was able to hear differences simply swapping cables between songs is telling.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Eight pages, seriously? LuLz... glad I got in on this one early so I didn't have to waste a bunch of time reading about you guys playing with each others' cables. DK officially wins the Troll of the Year award for this one.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited April 2011
    Options
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    Eight pages, seriously? LuLz... glad I got in on this one early so I didn't have to waste a bunch of time reading about you guys playing with each others' cables. DK officially wins the Troll of the Year award for this one.
    You ever seen any of his research threads....very informative if you take the time to read them...or if you should ever have a chance to meet him...he is in person as he is here....you might learn that not all and finite information about everything does not come from an internet forum. Only from meeting a person who has taken his or her own valuable time to help others understand what is perceived as conjecture as to be a possible fact. Open minds are not a bad thing.
  • ysss
    ysss Posts: 213
    edited April 2011
    Options
    This cable debate would make for an interesting episode on Mythbusters. Hmmmmmm....:smile:

+1

Another idea is to launch a cable company of your own and create cables with exotic materials. Maybe some treated rare metals off fukushima, esa'ala or wherever.

Sell a boatload of them and see if people can actually perceive (generate?) the aural difference off them. When you get enough convert, come clean... tell them that they;re all just repainted monster cables and refund all the money....

....wait, I think this may have been the premise of some of the currently operating cable companies out there, they just need a reminder and a nudge to stop and come clean :D

i kid... i kid...
This discussion has been closed.