Your favorite beer?

Comments

• Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited June 2010
    Ron-P wrote: »
    One of my top fav's right now is "Flying Dog's Raging ****". It's a Belgian Style IPA and it is fantastic.

Excellent!

Picked up a six of those a few weeks ago, great IPA

Also try Nugget Nectar from Troegs http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/nugget_nectar.aspx

An outstanding beer that is not around long.
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2010
    Had a few pints of Kilkenny when I was in Philly last. A very tasty Irish cream ale; highly recommended. A texture similar to Guiness, but much more tasty. A bit tough to find in the states still; was surprised to see it at the bar there.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • packetjones
    packetjones Posts: 1,059
    edited June 2010
    I have been on a Sam Adams kick recently. Currently i am really liking the Cherry Wheat. I am always looking for a good beer. I will have to check and see if the local store has any of the ones listed here.
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited June 2010
    Iron Horse Brewery's Irish Quilter's Death. Oh man! $4.40 for a bomber & terrific! Smooth, rich and carmely flavor. Just great.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • hagmanm2
    hagmanm2 Posts: 205
    edited June 2010
    Oh maaan let me weigh in here! My friend and I have frequented the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium for several years now and it's done wonders for refining my taste and helping me see what sorta beers are out there... so without further ado!

My favorite dunkel is Julius Echter Dunkelweizen (also love their hefe).
    My favorite Hefeweizen is Alagash White (excellent brewery).
    My favorite brewery, lager, and high gravity dopplebock are from Spaten (Spaten Premium Lager & Spaten Optimator).
    My favorite Oatmeal Stout is Samuel Smith (they're Nut Brown Ale is also one of my favorites).
    My favorite Pale Lager is Tennents.
    Czechvar makes my favorite Pilsner.
    If you guys like your IPAs be sure to give Victory Hop Devil a try.
    Young's Double Chocolate is a delicous stout as well as Obovoid (from Colorado)

mmm beer.
    Living Room: Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Turntable: Technics SL-B200 | CD Player: Rotel RCD-955AX | Fronts: Polk RTiA3 | Center: Polk CSi A4 | Rears: Polk FXi3 | Sub: Velodyne DPS-10 | Cables: AudioQuest Type4 & TypeA

Office: Carver HR-742 | Speakers: RTi6 | Turntable: Numark 1600
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2010
    I have been on a Sam Adams kick recently. Currently i am really liking the Cherry Wheat. I am always looking for a good beer. I will have to check and see if the local store has any of the ones listed here.

Sam Adams may not be the very best but he can do no wrong. I think we should collect all these excellent suggestions and do a beer SAMPLING at the

Oktober[Polk]fest!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited June 2010
    Carolina Blonde IPA tickles my taste buds. Just enough bite to let you know it's working.
  • On3s&Z3r0s
    On3s&Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2010
    The Quilter's Irish Death can truly be awesome. A few years back at one of the Seattle area beer fests it was my favorite out of some 25+ I tasted (luckily I wasn't driving home that evening!). Lately it seems their quality can be a little uneven, and I'm sure it doesn't get much if any distribution outside the PNW.

My favorite in wide availability would have to be Gordon from Oskar Blues. Man, that stuff is good. I don't even know exactly what style it's supposed to be. It just says "Big. Red. Sticky." on the side of the can. I would call it an imperial IPA, but OB just started selling a real IIPA called Gubna in this neck of the woods. That stuff is truly gawd awful. Just nasty!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited January 2011
    Thought I'd dig this up from the dead.

Currently watching "American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior" and sipping on a Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uf-Q2okZoSI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uf-Q2okZoSI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

It's good stuff. Very strong hop flavor but it's balanced. It has a definitive hoppy aroma to it, almost flowery. Some earthy smells too like what a freshly harvested wheat field smells like. Yes, I have smelled that before. Has a peaty smell to it, almost like grass but more nutty. The taste is more chocolaty which is a bit odd for an I.P.A. but, you know what? It works. The hop flavor comes out and finishes as well as hanging around in the after taste. The chocolate comes from the malt and it's there but it's more like a baker's chocolate with a more bitter taste.

Either way, the taste isn't obscenely bitter and if you like hops, this is a good one. Worth a try if you can get it. It's honestly, a very good American interpretation of a classically English brew. I've given it to friends from beer snob countries like Germany and Belgium and they were all impressed with it and seek it out now when they are here for a visit. If you think Americans can't make beer then stick this one in your snoot and try it. It'll change your opinion.

BTW, dunno what that video is about but it was on Dogfish Head's website when I brought up the product page for the beer. I'll watch it later.

http://www.dogfish.com/
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • On3s&amp;Z3r0s
    On3s&amp;Z3r0s Posts: 1,013
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of Dogfish Head has anyone been watching the Brewmasters show on Discovery? If so, what do you think of it? And are they still running new episodes?
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited January 2011
    I was in Wichita just this last October for a few weeks... and went to a local steakhouse and had a Boulevard beer.

Apparently brewed in Kansas City. a very nice brand of beer. I think the one i had was a wheatie beer ala blue moon. I think they also have a stout in their line-up.

Guess i need to get a u-trawl and visit KC.

cheers,
    wayne
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited January 2011
    1 2 3 double post :D
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2011
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    I was in Wichita just this last October for a few weeks... and went to a local steakhouse and had a Boulevard beer.

Apparently brewed in Kansas City. a very nice brand of beer. I think the one i had was a wheatie beer ala blue moon. I think they also have a stout in their line-up.

Guess i need to get a u-trawl and visit KC.

cheers,
    wayne

Aren't local brewery finds cool? I love finding brews that are local only.

While not a local brew - my current favorite is Sierra Nevada Porter.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited January 2011
    The one that's open in front of me.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited January 2011
    Blue Moon breaks the manlaw.....don't fruit the beer!:eek:
  • On3s&amp;Z3r0s
    edited January 2011
    gdb wrote: »

What fruit do they put in Blue Moon? I thought it was just bad because it was Coors with a pretty label.
  • gdb
    edited January 2011
    Some pukey citrus....orange, I think. Yechhhhh!
  • On3s&amp;Z3r0s
    edited January 2011
    Oh yeah they use orange peel. Hell, every other belgian beer in existence breaks the manlaw in that case. I think the fruit ban should be reserved for girly fruits like watermelon, raspberry, and apricot. Right now I'm drinking a New Belgium Sahti, which is brewed with juniper berries. I wouldn't say it's a favorite, but it's definitely not a girlie beer (7.2% and hoppy).
    wayne3burk wrote: »

Apparently brewed in Kansas City. a very nice brand of beer.

We get Boulevard out here on the left coast sometimes. It is some damn good beer.
  • gdb
    edited January 2011
    What fruit is in Stella? tastes like plain old delicious beer to me.:smile:
  • gdb
    edited January 2011
    I prefer my J. Berries in a glass of gin!:cool:
  • On3s&amp;Z3r0s
    edited January 2011
    What fruit is in Stella? tastes like plain old delicious beer to me.:smile:

LOL... actually, most Belgians (and European folks in general) think of Stella more as a lager style than a real Belgian style beer. But that is definitely my favorite European lager.
    I prefer my J. Berries in a glass of gin!:cool:

And I'm definitely with you on this... the juniper in the beer thing is not working for me. Not girlie, but not good either.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited January 2011

Right on.

I cried when they repealed the Bavarian Purity Law...:biggrin:

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mwk455
    mwk455 Posts: 219
    edited January 2011
    Moose drool is a good beer.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited January 2011
    At home cold.....
    If in Europe room temp, ok....
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    Beamish Black... complex, wonderful stuff...

templatemo_image_01.png
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Rodeo0530
    Rodeo0530 Posts: 797
    edited January 2011
    mwk455 wrote: »
    Moose drool is a good beer.

Just brewed a clone of this not too long ago and I think it turned out pretty well. Good beer indeed.

Recently I've found that Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild Ale is very good along with Rogue Double Chocolate Stout. The best I've had in a long while was definitely Dogfish Head's Squall IPA. It was absolutely fantastic. They should be releasing more of it very soon in the big bottles:)

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited January 2011
    Too many good beers to limit yourself to just one favorite, just like beautiful women.

1. Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale, Organic Ale, Old Brewery Pale Ale, Taddy Porter, etc...
    2. Rogue's Chocolate Stout.
    3. Chimay Grand Reserve Bleu
    4. Lindeman's Framboise Lambic (gotta have a girlie ready for that overnight guest)
    5. Shiner Bock for the best budget beer IMO.

Stone Brewery has some nice offerings as well.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited January 2011
    Second and third that. I'm pretty sure Chimay doesn't make a bad beer.
    I had Boddingtons in a restaurant in Boston a couple months ago that was heavy like a Guinness but i can't, for the life of me, remember what on gods green earth it was.

My brother has a bottle of Sam Adams Infinium that i will be trying within the next week or so. That should be interesting.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited January 2011
    Very good Ale.... Winter Hook
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    blueboxer wrote: »
    Too many good beers to limit yourself to just one favorite, just like beautiful women.

2. Rogue's Chocolate Stout.

5. Shiner Bock for the best budget beer IMO.
    Speaking of women... Nos. 2 and 3 are two of the wife's fav's...

+1 on #5... especially on tap...

Also when doing the Tex-Mex thing... Dos Equis Amber - Stay thirsty my friends....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD