Your favorite beer?

Options

Comments

• thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Budwieser,, Miller Light, or as some call it, Light beer, from Miller,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • CCNJ
    CCNJ Posts: 384
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Blue Moon is my go to beer. I also tried a beer called Landshark which I really like.
    Rig1 - Totem Hawks, Benchmark HDR, Parasound A21, Sonus, Samsung 52 LCD, Audioquest Type4
    Rig2 - LFD LE IV Integrated, Harbeth P3ESR, Rega Dac, MF V-Link, IMAC, Audioquest Type4
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Landshark is Jimmy Buffets entry to the yeast and hops world. Really not a bad brew, caution would be too many = headache.

Love to join you on a Blue Moon thou.
    Carry On Fellas!
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The in-laws are in town and drove my some Spotted Cow straight from Wisconsin... such a treat.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Amherst wrote: »
    Landshark is Jimmy Buffets entry to the yeast and hops world. Really not a bad brew, caution would be too many = headache.

Love to join you on a Blue Moon thou.
    Carry On Fellas!

Jimmy Buffet fell off the stage i just heard.. and saw the video.. walks right off. :confused:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2011
    Options
    On3s&Z3r0s wrote: »
    What fruit do they put in Blue Moon? I thought it was just bad because it was Coors with a pretty label.

spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. :biggrin:
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote: »
    Speaking of women... Nos. 2 and 3 are two of the wife's fav's...

+1 on #5... especially on tap...

Also when doing the Tex-Mex thing... Dos Equis Amber - Stay thirsty my friends....

You married the right woman, no doubt about that. Landshark is a nice beer on a summer day with a squirt of lime. I don't mind picking up a six pack of it when it is on sale. I think Shiner is such an underrated beer.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I like my beers on the malty rather than hoppy side. Just a few of my favorites:

Great Divide Claymore Scotch Ale - excellent flavors
    Pike Kilt Lifter Ruby Ale - wonderful tastes, yet smooth
    Pike Tandem Double Ale - rich, smooth, dark-ish, all around great tasting.
    Maui Brewing Coconut Porter - complex & wonderful flavors.

Check 'em out boys.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited January 2011
    Options
    here lately it's new castle - brown ale
  • Slinger182
    Slinger182 Posts: 512
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Been drinking a lot of Three Floyds Gumballhead lately. The girlfriend surprised me with a 6er of Two Brothers Bitter End it is very good.
    Panny 55-st30 plasma
    Pioneer vsx-1121
    Parasound 2100 pre
    b&k tx4430 amp
    Oppo bdp-83
    Monster HTS 3500
    polk TSi500s Vr3 Fortress modded
    polk CS20 center channel Vr3 Castle modded
    polk Owm 3 surrounds
    polk PSW505
  • Amherst
    Amherst Posts: 695
    edited January 2011
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    Jimmy Buffet fell off the stage i just heard.. and saw the video.. walks right off. :confused:

Too many sharks ya think? What the hell!

Have to look into that, is he busted up?
    Parasound C1, T3, HCA-3500, HCA-2205A, P/DD1550, Pioneer DV-79avi, Oppo BDP-83, WD Media Server W/HDD,
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3, Dynaudio Contour T2.1, Polk OWM3, Polk DSW micropro 1000 (x2),
    Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma, Phillips Pronto Control w/Niles HT-MSU.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Tour2ma wrote: »
    Beamish Black... complex, wonderful stuff...

templatemo_image_01.png

What (natiion wide) store can you buy this beer at? Never tried it, but I would like to.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited January 2011
    Options
    For Canadian beer I like Keith's India Pale Ale and Keith's Red Amber.
    When I lived in West Germany for 4 years I drank what was on tap! So many different beers, darn near each town/district had their own! Good way to see the country side, from what I remember! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    What (natiion wide) store can you buy this beer at? Never tried it, but I would like to.
    Greg
    I've only had draught. I'm not even sure they bottle it.

I "met" Beamish in the UK. Only places I have happened upon it on this side of the pond was a bar called "Flying Saucers" in (of all places) Little Rock, Arkansas, and some bar in the Arlington, VA vacinity.

It is worth looking for...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Rodeo0530
    Rodeo0530 Posts: 797
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that is sold in cans, not bottles, but I'm not sure what nationwide store sells it. Find yourself a good beer store near you that stocks a bunch of different stuff and you will be very happy you did!

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Had one of these the other nite at our local Thai restaurant.

Not exactly a new fav, but instead of being just another in a long line of bad, novelty brews, it turned out to be pretty darn good. Probably owes its flavor to being "Tempered over burning witches".

3281944820_d275d286ea.jpg
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Right now, the very limited "Double Jack", Firestone's limited release Double IPA. Just got it today and it is amazing.

Also picked up the "Hoptimum by Sierra Nevada. Now, I am not a fan of this brewery at all, kinda like Sam Adams, these two breweries are like the Bud and Coors of micro-breweries. But Sierra knows how to make amazing beers but they only do so in an extremely limited amount.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Rodeo0530
    Rodeo0530 Posts: 797
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I do respect Sierra Nevada though for being daring enough to only use whole cone hops, as opposed to most other brewers that use pellets.

Front - Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center - Polk Audio CS2
    Rear - Polk Audio TSi 100
    Sub - Klipsch rw-10d
    AVR - Onkyo ht-rc180
    Main Amp- Parasound HCA-2003
    Surround Amp- Sonance Sonamp 260
    Tuner- Parasound tdq-1600
    Turntable- Pro-ject Debut III USB w/upgraded platter
    IPod dock - Pure i20
    TV - Panasonic Viera tc-p46g10
    Sony Playstation 3(250GB)
    Nintendo Wii
    Power Conditioner- Panamax 5100

Not in use-
    Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Polk Audio PSW10
    Parasound p/sp-1000
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Grabbed one I've been meaning to try but have a hard time finding. Now I know why. It's always sold out.

Victory Brewing Company out of Downingtown, PA. Not really a craft brewer. Their distro is pretty large so they are a microbrew/regional brewer at this point. Batches are too big to be considered "craft".

But, let me tell you, for a fairly large regional brewer, this is a craft brew.

HPA_Main_Image.png

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale

I like IPA's better but this is clean and refreshing. Strong, bitter hop aroma but completely different taste. Strong hops taste but balanced. It's not over-powering and doesn't give you that pucker feeling where you have to force the last 1/4 of the glass down the hatch. It's strong though. 5.1%. However, this, to me, is what a beer...well, an ale is supposed to be. The look, the tastes, the aroma, it's all there. This is the kind of freshness and balance that all brewmasters are trying to achieve.

This is the Pale Ale that garbage, Sierra Nevada tries to be and fails miserably at it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I almost cracked and bought a bottle of Sam Adams 2011 Utopia saturday afternoon but the price scared me away. I was ready to fork over 1 benny but when i found the price approaching 2 bennies, i told the kind woman to leave it up on the shelf.
    If only i could find a restaurant/bar that has this so i can "try" a glass versus buying the whole bottle. Maybe i can get my brother to buy one, he's a sucker like that. :biggrin:
    Sam-Adams-Utopias.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Grabbed one I've been meaning to try but have a hard time finding. Now I know why. It's always sold out.

Victory Brewing Company out of Downingtown, PA. Not really a craft brewer. Their distro is pretty large so they are a microbrew/regional brewer at this point. Batches are too big to be considered "craft".

But, let me tell you, for a fairly large regional brewer, this is a craft brew.

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale

I like IPA's better but this is clean and refreshing. Strong, bitter hop aroma but completely different taste. Strong hops taste but balanced. It's not over-powering and doesn't give you that pucker feeling where you have to force the last 1/4 of the glass down the hatch. It's strong though. 5.1%. However, this, to me, is what a beer...well, an ale is supposed to be. The look, the tastes, the aroma, it's all there. This is the kind of freshness and balance that all brewmasters are trying to achieve.

This is the Pale Ale that garbage, Sierra Nevada tries to be and fails miserably at it.

Victory makes some damn good beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites by them.

PA in general has some good breweries: Victory, Stoudt's, Weierbacher....
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    Victory makes some damn good beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites by them.

PA in general has some good breweries: Victory, Stoudt's, Weierbacher....

Them snooty Northwesterners and their "microbrews" have no idea what their missing.

Weyerbacher has, hands down, the best IPA I have ever had in my life. It's impossible to get. I swear people follow the trucks to the stores and buy it before it ever hits the shelves.

Check out a couple ones from NJ, River Horse and Flying Fish. Flying Fish is hit or miss on beers. They get a bit too fancy at times. But River Horse, most stuff they come out with is pretty good. The brewmaster there has a real talent.

And Delaware's Dogfish Head has some nice ones like their 60 minute IPA and 90 minute IPA.

Oh and if Victory makes your list as well as Stoudt's then put Yards somewhere near the top of that list as well. I have never been disappointed by a Yard's brew.

• strider
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Is Flying Fish the brewery with the series of beers named after the exits on the Turnpike? If so, I think it's Exit 6 that I tried and really like.

Dogfish Head's brewpub in Rehobeth Beach has stuff they brew in really small quantities that you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes they make a blood orange hefe that's perfect after a hot day at the beach. They also have a set up where they filter the draft beer through fresh hops as it pours into the glass. Think it's called Randel the enamel animal or something weird like that. Whatever it's called, it doesn't get much better for a real hophead.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2011
    Options
    been off the sauce for abt a year and a half....i really like st pauli's girl and becks n.a. beers
  • strider
    edited June 2011
    Options
    sda2mike wrote: »
    been off the sauce for abt a year and a half....i really like st pauli's girl and becks n.a. beers

Clausthaler (sp?) is also very good, as long as it's fresh. Believe it or not, O'Douls amber is pretty good as well, although I try not to buy anything made by AB.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Corona, Pacifico

I prefer pilsners to dark beers...Bev likes Dos Equis, i don't care for it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Clausthaler (sp?) is also very good, as long as it's fresh. Believe it or not, O'Douls amber is pretty good as well, although I try not to buy anything made by AB.

i'll try those, thanks!

btw, i dont recommend the coors na
  • Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Is Flying Fish the brewery with the series of beers named after the exits on the Turnpike? If so, I think it's Exit 6 that I tried and really like.

Dogfish Head's brewpub in Rehobeth Beach has stuff they brew in really small quantities that you can't get anywhere else. Sometimes they make a blood orange hefe that's perfect after a hot day at the beach. They also have a set up where they filter the draft beer through fresh hops as it pours into the glass. Think it's called Randel the enamel animal or something weird like that. Whatever it's called, it doesn't get much better for a real hophead.

Yeah, kinda lame naming convention if you ask me. They have a few I've been impressed with though. Especially the seasonals like Oktoberfish and the Farmhouse Summer Ale. Not to mention the brewery is about 10 minutes driver from my house and they give tours. Used to do free samples but I dunno if they still do. I think the **** at the NJ liquor board put the kibosh on that.

Here's the Exit Series. Exit 6 is the Belgian rye brew. Some like it, some don't but it's a distinctive beer. Has a real dry bite like a Canadian rye whiskey or a Polish rye Vodka. I like Exits 9, 13 and 16.

http://www.flyingfish.com/beers/exit_series.html

And I saw that pour through hops on some show about booze on the history channel. Doesn't sound real appetizing to me. Mainly because hops needs to be abused and heated to release the flavors and oils. Pouring it through raw hops seems like it'd be pouring it through grass clippings and other yard debris. Eh, to each his own.

• Jstas
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yeah, they pretty much ruined Rolling Rock for me. Every so often I want to see if they fixed it but I can't bring myself to give them my money. Especially since AB isn't even a U.S. Brand anymore. It's owned wholly by the Belgians at InBev. They bought the Rolling Rock brand and then promptly shut down the Latrobe Brewing Company and put the entire town of Latrobe out of work. Then they moved brewing to Newark and then ultimately some place in the mid-west and it just ruined it. They can't figure out why nobody wants to buy it. Especially around here. Thing is, Latrobe's water source was an aquifer in PA. Mountain water. Makes a difference in the final product. Shady business dealings and shafting a thousand or so employees in an already hard hit area kinda add fuel to that fire. Not to mention a nationwide union boycott on all AB/InBev products because of how they did the Latrobe Brewing Company dirty. Sam Adams (The Boston Beer Company) is union approved though because they contracted the Latrobe Brewing Company as a contract brewer for Sam Adams stuff.

When they asked Jim Koch why he did that. If it was union sympathy or helping out people in a bind he basically said: No. They are an available resource with 67+ years of brewing experience. We can set up shop there immediately and I don't have to train anyone to run a brewery. It just makes sense. Before that, City Brewing company was going to close the plant down and sell it off.