Your favorite beer?

Options
Norm Apter
Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
edited July 2011 in The Clubhouse
Be it Pilsner, Ale, Stout, Lager, Black-n-Tan, Imported, Domestic, or Micro...what's your favorite brew?

Its been while (mid 1990s) since I've explored tasty brews, and I thought others may have particular selections they'd like to share.

Not having tried anything new in a while, I'll put down Newcastle Brown Ale as mine. (But I seem to recall one by the name of Blackened Voodoo -- if I'm not mistaken -- that I always meant to try, but never did. I just thought it had the coolest name, not having any idea what it might taste like).
2 Ch.
Parasound Halo A23 Amp
Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
Denon 2808ci AVR
polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
Post edited by Norm Apter on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Root bear, or birch beer.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    Be it Pilsner, Ale, Stout, Lager, Black-n-Tan, Imported, Domestic, or Micro...what's your favorite brew?

Its been while (mid 1990s) since I've explored tasty brews, and I thought others may have particular selections they'd like to share.

Not having tried anything new in a while, I'll put down Newcastle Brown Ale as mine. (But I seem to recall one by the name of Blackened Voodoo -- if I'm not mistaken -- that I always meant to try, but never did. I just thought it had the coolest name, not having any idea what it might taste like).

The world is full of some very good beer - as rich and complex and satisfying to the palate as a good wine (but seemingly doesn't get the same amount of respect...)

I enjoy most every type - depending on the actual brewer.

But - in general, my favorite type of beer is Porter - darker, richer than ales or lagers. My favorite Porter is Fullers London Porter.

Mmmmm...beer.gif

Cheers!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited May 2008
    Options
    1) Smithwick
    2) XX
    3) Corona
    [
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Root beer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Stone Ruination IPA is one of my top favorites.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My favorite beer? FREE!

If I gotta pay, Yuengling.

Favorite seasonal stuff is from Weyerbacher. It's supposed to available year round but I can't always find it. Their India Pale Ale is incredible. Beats out anything else I've ever had and even puts the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that everybody raves about to shame.

There is a brewery in Vermont called Shed and they have a Mountain Ale that I can only get if I visit my sister or she comes down and drags a 3 gallon growler with her. That lasts about a day and a half.

Those are my favorites.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Anything from the Rogue breweries
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2008
    Options
    no two people in here will agree on the best beer. it's impossible.. just like the cable debate.. no one wins.

with that said.. i like a medium bodied beer... I used to go with like Kokanee.. but I find that to light anymore.

Right now I like Blue Moon

The beer is orange-amber in color with a cloudy appearance due to the fact that it is unfiltered. It is also spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. Blue Moon does have a more pronounced orange flavor than many other beers of the style. The grain bill for Blue Moon includes malted barley, white wheat, and oats
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2008
    Options
    dogfish head 90 minute IPA
    cats.vans.bag...
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Deschutes Mirror Pond, Deschutes Bachelor Bitter, Rouge American Amber Ale, MacTarnahan's, Walking Man Homo Erectus.
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • ZOINKS
    ZOINKS Posts: 17
    edited May 2008
    Options
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Guinness
    Blue Moon
    Sam Adams Winter Brew
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • GMiller
    GMiller Posts: 123
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Boddington's Pub Ale
    Harpoon Summer Ale
    SA Winter Lager
    Paulaner Hefeweizen
    Franziskaner Dunkel-Weizen
    Molson Brador
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I have lost interest in beer, even with Victory brewing co 2.5 miles down the road.

If this was 2 miles down the road I might be in trouble... vodkaguide_1980_19386589

:eek:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My fav is Yuengling and then Sam Adams boston lager.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Anything from the Rogue breweries

+10.

Though, living on the East Coast, that's usually not available, so I'll usually stick with the Sam Adams Seasonals, or Corona in the summer.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2008
    Options
    33 degree COLD
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,620
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I'm working my way through the New Belgium product line. All good stuff. Their Fat tire beer tastes a little funny at first but once you get use to it you'll like it :cool:
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Right now, I'd have to say Lagunitas Censored & Sam Adams Black.

Yummy!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited May 2008
    Options
    The next beer.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited May 2008
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    no two people in here will agree on the best beer. it's impossible.. just like the cable debate.. no one wins.

The beer is orange-amber in color with a cloudy appearance due to the fact that it is unfiltered. It is also spiced with coriander and orange peel in addition to the hops found in most beers. Blue Moon does have a more pronounced orange flavor than many other beers of the style. The grain bill for Blue Moon includes malted barley, white wheat, and oats

MMMMMMM Blue Moon on tap with a thin orange slice........yes quite a tasty glass of beer.........
  • Jstas
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    My fav is Yuengling and then Sam Adams boston lager.

See dangerboy! Two people agree! We both like Yuengling!

The rest of you should get with the program already! ;)

• wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Way too hard for me to decide. I agree with the comment about anything by Rogue. If I had to choose one, I guess it would be Anderson Valley Brewing Company's Hop Ottin. At the Great American Beer Festival last year, Firestone Walker had some of the best beers I've ever had, but I can't buy any of their stuff in the midwest.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • Jstas
    edited May 2008
    Options
    mule wrote: »
    I have lost interest in beer, even with Victory brewing co 2.5 miles down the road.

If this was 2 miles down the road I might be in trouble... vodkaguide_1980_19386589

:eek:

Very good stuff! My favorite vodka.

Most people don't realize that it's Polish though. Nothing Russian or Swedish about it.

Nice thing about it is that it is a single grain vodka distilled from rye. Gives it a smoother body. On top of that, unlike alot of the Russian and Swedish "ultra-pure" vodkas, it's not excessively filtered. It's distilled for a fairly long time. I think it's distilled 4 times over. The distilling process mellows it out and make it smooth. It also strips a good deal of the water out which makes the alcohol really concentrated. So they blend it with water to get to a better proof rate somewhere south of gasoline.

It didn't get here to the states until 1996 but the distillery is using the same methods for something like 600 years. My grandmother has bottles of vodka from the distillery that are a few decades old celebrating a 50th anniversary. Since she used to go back to Poland to visit relatives on a regular basis, it was easy to get booze that we couldn't get here.

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2008
    Options
    I enjoy Sam Adams except when they try to fruit the beer. Major man law fubar. Pacifico is a pretty god brew also. The neighbor likes to grab all these odd named beers. I couldn't name them but most are very tasty.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Lately it's been Young's Double Chocolate Stout. and now I'm thirsty!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited May 2008
    Options
    My favorite is Guiness.

However, that could change we I go to Germany for vacation in a few years. Guiness has long been my favorite, but accoriding to my wife who lived in Germany for a time - we don't see anything with respect to German beer as the "real stuff" is not exported to the US.

On a recent trip to Ireland I was surprised at the amount of Heiniken being sold. It was almost as common on tap as Guiness in the republic (Harp took its place in the North). Finding Heiniken generally disgusting in the US, I caved on night and had one on tap over there, and surprisingly it was pretty good. Nothing like the swill in a bottle you get here.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Daily Driver - Miller Light
    Casual beer drinking - Blue Moon or Stella
    Festive beer - Guiness on St. Patty's
    Mexican beer - Pacifico followed closely by Dos Equis
    Fancy dinner beer - Amstel Light
    Canadian beer - Labatt's
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Kronenburg 1664
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2008
    Options
    Boddingtons (tastes like a milkshake)
    Victoria Bitter (just a different buzz altogether)
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore