Spearker cables..fact or fiction?

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ...I guess I should quit upgrading my system.

ComfortablyNumb, have you ever bought anything? I think you have the record for posting "I am thinking of getting a <fill in the blank>." ;)

I like these kinds of threads because once you filter out the useless posts (STFU, etc.) it is possible to learn something, if you take the time and effort.

As an engineer I can certainly appreciate from a theoretical perspective how the electrical characteristics of a cable can influence its sound. However, I really was not prepared for the amount of influence a cable can make.

I operated for the longest time with the belief that the bigger cable was better since the resistance was lower, and when I upgraded to 12 gauge hardware store bulk cable I was able to tell a difference in both the home theater and stereo. However, thanks to threads like this, I finally decided to break down, and try something different.

I purchased a set of MapleShade “Clearview Double Golden Helix Speaker Cables - Plus option”, and was completely blown away by the improvement over 12 gauge twisted copper. These things are solid wire, and must be 18 or 20 gauge, yet the sound is clearer, more precise, more open, seems to have a wider dynamic range, and frequency response. Of course, this is all subjective since I have no measuring equipment, but it does exist. It literally was like upgrading a major component in the system.

Obviously, at least to me, wire can make a difference. Unfortunately for me, this means I will need to spend more money in the future “researching” speaker cables, but at least I am happy for now.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/doublehelixspeakercable.php
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I like these kinds of threads because once you filter out the useless posts (STFU, etc.) it is possible to learn something, if you take the time and effort.

I beg to differ. STFU posts are extremely valuable as evidenced by such comments as, "most informative post in this whole thread" and "Very well said.." Class over.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jeb85
    Jeb85 Posts: 39
    edited March 2009
    Options
    wow a thread that turns into a chat room for experts and everyone who wants to learn something learns nothing.... and as for me being to lazy to find information between the cables, the reason i asked was becuase i couldn't find anything that seemed relative to what i was looking for and was hoping for insight.
    useless forum! in my eyes when its the same 10 peoples same advice on everything.
    good work people be proud!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Jeb85 wrote: »
    wow a thread that turns into a chat room for experts and everyone who wants to learn something learns nothing.... and as for me being to lazy to find information between the cables, the reason i asked was becuase i couldn't find anything that seemed relative to what i was looking for and was hoping for insight.
    useless forum! in my eyes when its the same 10 peoples same advice on everything.

Cables matter.......get off your a** and try some.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited March 2009
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ComfortablyNumb, have you ever bought anything? I think you have the record for posting "I am thinking of getting a <fill in the blank>." ;)

lol...Yes, I have. I actually just got a new pair of speakers yesterday. Some vintage Polk Mini Monitors that are pulling surround duty now. I also got a new AVR in October of last year...A pair of Monitor 7A's a couple months ago...I've purchased numerous IC's and speaker wire recently. I'll also be picking up a pair of RTi8's and a pair of RTi6's from another board member in about...(checks watch)...2-3 more weeks.

Yes...I have posted a lot of "I'm thinking about" posts recently...but that's because my works is seasonal. I don't really work much in the winter, so I was doing a lot of window shopping. Through out this spring/summer though, watch for my numerous new "check out what I just got" threads.;)

On another note...Cables suck. They're completely worthless. MIT's make excellent clothesline at best. Audioquest aren't even good enough to be used as clothesline. All the people on this board that have spent big money on cables, only spent that money because of how much they enjoy wasting money. The huge differences I noticed in my system after switching to AQ IC's were completely imaginary...not real.:rolleyes:

I finished re-wiring my system up with old coat hangers. I tried several different kinds...the brown plastic ones are by far the best. The sound is so clean, you can't even hear it. It's that good.:cool:
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Don't give up Jeb there are good people here willing to help... you only have to do like most of us do, discard the crappy responses and look for the very few positive responses. There are a few people that will actually provide you with some good insights (again, IE:Norm Apter)... just filter out the crap and take what's good and that's it. Just too bad moderation is limited on this forum!
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Don't give up Jeb there are good people here willing to help... you only have to do like most of us do, discard the crappy responses and look for the very few positive responses. There are a few people that will actually provide you with some good insights (again, IE:Norm Apter)... just filter out the crap and take what's good and that's it. Just too bad moderation is limited on this forum!

see post 139. Short, direct, to the point and 100% true.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,458
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Damn, where do these people come from? How many village idiots do we really need?

Jeb, you obviously haven't grasped what they are about yet. Try opening your mind and getting a set in your rig.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    edited March 2009
    Options
    the reason i asked was becuase i couldn't find anything that seemed relative to what i was looking for and was hoping for insight.

I gave you good advice, so again.....you are missing the point, MIT cables are not about gauge. You think they look like 12 gauge. Hell, I have no idea what gauge they are, nor do I care as the gauge doesn't matter. The bottom line is how does a cable sound in your system. Nothing else matters.

Another good piece of advice. Ignore whatever C3PO says about this topic as he has no experience other than what he read on Wiki.
    useless forum!

Nothing, I mean nothing could be farther from the truth. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here. The search function works well, I'd suggest you try it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    wow there is alot of crap to filter thanks TECHNOKID
    but i do have to say that i never once said anything about cable not mattering and i also mentioned that i did hear the difference between cables, also as i said i don't have the budget for an expensive pair of speaker wires.
    where do people like heiney9 and treitz3 get off assuming these things and posting completey useless post like this!
  • Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I gave you good advice, so again.....you are missing the point, MIT cables are not about gauge. You think they look like 12 gauge. Hell, I have no idea what gauge they are, nor do I care as the gauge doesn't matter. The bottom line is how does a cable sound in your system. Nothing else matters.

Another good piece of advice. Ignore whatever C3PO says about this topic as he has no experience other than what he read on Wiki.

Nothing, I mean nothing could be farther from the truth. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here. The search function works well, I'd suggest you try it.

sorry i do take in lots of good advice, i went a little far when i said forum but for some threads you have to read through 4 pages to get a basic answer. i am new to this stuff and want to learn just not with all the crap that some people put out there
  • comfortablycurt
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Anyone else for PIE?

Why has every thread on here this last week or so turned into a huge ****/whine fest? Is it because I haven't been posting so much lately? Maybe the forums falling out of balance?:p
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I beg to differ. STFU posts are extremely valuable as evidenced by such comments as, "most informative post in this whole thread" and "Very well said.." Class over.

This is a bit off topic but for those of us over 50 all this 'text speak' (festival of acronyms) often leaves us wondering what does that mean and rushing to google it. Where do you guys learn that stuff? So that it comes so easily.

As for wiring. I'm not going to touch that topic...tons, tons of debates. Yes they make a difference....but if I bought a 1000 dollar cable my wife would 'hang' me with it..and it wouldn't matter if it was truly the most perfect, the best out there. Because I'd be 'dead'. And I'm not completely kidding here?

Power to the WIRE!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2009
    Options
    jeb, Cables,amps pre's all have their own sound and it's up to you to get your listen on to see what YOU like. I agree, there can be some crap on a forum,it's the nature of the beast. Just don't get upset at the people who answer you,they actually do have your best interest at heart. If you're really that interested then wading through some crap is just what you have to do.
  • Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    jeb, Cables,amps pre's all have their own sound and it's up to you to get your listen on to see what YOU like. I agree, there can be some crap on a forum,it's the nature of the beast. Just don't get upset at the people who answer you,they actually do have your best interest at heart. If you're really that interested then wading through some crap is just what you have to do.

I agree! But if i ask a question(then shortly afterword feel like they did something wrong) i think there is a problem, this is the first forum ive been a part of or really used(not sure whats right or wrong) but with comments like
    Keiko wrote: »
    Cables make no difference. You'd be wasting your money buying some expensive, exotic cables. Stick with lamp cord or Monster products.

I'm outa here.

whats the point... like wtf is that!
  • Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    The basic answer is biased. Seriously Jeb, stick with the Monster Cable and lamp cords. In your case, you're better off.

why are people like you even on forums?
    at what part did i offend you? seriously
    was it because you sent me somewhere where i had already been and i asked for more information?
    or is because everyone is agreeing with everyone that people like me are stupid because im trying to learn?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Dude thinks cables make very little or no difference.
    Buddy thinks they make ALL the difference.
    Why do Dude and Buddy need to insult, belittle, attack, and humilitate each other?
    Simply because they hear things differently?
    Live and let live people.
    Kumbaya my lord Kumbaya.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ^^^^^^spelling correction humilitate = humiliate ^^^^^^
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • F1nut
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Jeb,

I can see you're trying and really want to learn. IMO, you're way ahead of some others here.

Reading about what interests you can be a big help, but will only take you so far in this crazy hobby. Actual experience nets the most benefit. So, what kind of rig do you have, 2 channel, HT or both. Are you interested in speaker wire and/or IC's and what are you using now?

Are there any hifi shops were you live?

As for the forum and comments made......well, there's a lot of banter, some funny, some sarcastic. You just have to roll with the flow and try not to take it personal, ok?

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    People like me? Wow Jeb, whatever do you mean?
    This may sound a bit biased, but see post #139

lol, people like you as in you try to belittle everyone who is new. end result you getting a reaction like this.... and there is no good advice
    #139 i did test cables and did hear a difference but they only had one brand!
    i agree that cables make a difference at no point did i argue this.... and i don't have access to any other stores that has any other brands.
    and if all the experience is from listening to every component why do people ask questions on forums? because you are saying that the only way im going to know which has the attributes that suit me is to try every last one out there and decide. well if thats the case then why do people ask questions?

should i give up because of people like Keiko? not going to happen

can anyone help with which cables have which attributes?

the only reason why i wanted a comparison of 12 guage wire is because thats what i have for speakerwire. i had no idea that IC's are so complex. i didn't know so i asked for what i thought i should ask for and found some information that helped but now i would like more helpful information.
  • Jeb85
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sorry F1 i was in mid post. i only have 1 hifi shop for about 2 hours in any direction so im limited. but if the only way to know whats best is to go to a bigger center i suppose what i have to do is that
    as for a system i run a H/K AVR354 with a Parasound a52 for my speakers which are LSi15, LSiC and LSi9's
    like i said ICs aren't in the budget yet but would like to start getting an idea of what to get now then last minute
  • F1nut
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Ok, I think you and Keiko simply got off on the wrong foot. He's a good guy and like a lot of us will be glad to help if it's clear that a person truly wants help and isn't closed minded about it all.

President of Club Polk

• Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2009
    Options
    sorry F1 i was in mid post. i only have 1 hifi shop for about 2 hours in any direction so im limited. but if the only way to know whats best is to go to a bigger center i suppose what i have to do is that
    as for a system i run a H/K AVR354 with a Parasound a52 for my speakers which are LSi15, LSiC and LSi9's
    like i said ICs aren't in the budget yet but would like to start getting an idea of what to get now then last minute

Jeb,

Do you have an approximate budget in mind for speaker cables? And are you looking only for cables for your two fronts or for all five speakers (within that budget)?

Norm
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • F1nut
    edited March 2009
    Options

Seems like a nice set up you have there. Mostly for HT, I take it. Are your present wires run inwall? Does it matter to you? What is yout budget for speaker wire at this time?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Another thought. If you give a general location of were you live there are often other Polkies near by that wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge first hand as in they may have some cables they will demo for you or even let you borrow to try in your sysytem.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ......but that's because my works is seasonal. I don't really work much in the winter, so I was doing a lot of window shopping

I have a question about trimming a tree , if you not mind work related questions during off-time.

More than once I have seen, what looks to me, a perfectly good tree reduced to a naked, exposed shrub. The trimming was almost total in that all branches were gone, leaving the tree looking like it has been amputated to death, and dying. On the other hand, they did seem to survive, after some “sick” time.

Is this a normal practice, or are these guys like me, know nothings with a chain saw?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Ender
    Ender Posts: 603
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Cables make no difference. You'd be wasting your money buying some expensive, exotic cables. Stick with lamp cord or Monster products.

I'm outa here.

Er... not sure why you quoted my post in your post. I was just noting how expensive cables were...
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    Yes, they are not cheap. But I have a proposition. As we discussed last night, maybe we can get together some time in May...perhaps you can head over to my apartment.

Unfortunately, I don't have any really nice speaker cables (yet) but I would love to give you the chance to compare several different kinds of ICs. I've got a few pair of MIT Shotgun S-3s, Audioquest Diamondbacks, Signal Cable Analog IIs, Belkin PureAV silver series ICs and, the cheapest of them all, a $15 pair of standard RCAs that I bought from Parts Express (probably on par with Monoprice).

Anyway, I was thinking that I could switch them in and out of my 2 channel rig and you could have a listen with your own ears. You could do it blindly (if you are worried about the so-called placebo effect) so that your subconscious does not have a vested interest in hearing a difference when there allegedly isn't one.

No pressure...just, if you want to. But the point is, forget about ALL of the literature (biased or unbiased) charts, and measurements.

Hearing is believing (or not believing).

Sounds good. I would really like to get a chance to audition some cables without having to pay for them. :D

If or when I get those SDA pairs, maybe you could come down to MY place instead! :D (although West LA is a nicer area and has the beaches close by... lol). But either way it works for me because you have speaker gear I really want to audition as well.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Gotta pay to play!

Seriously they are always on sale and you can get them used for 60-70% less

That's good to know. I've already spent a ton of money (in my perspective) on audio equipment... God knows I could use a break on some of these prices. Lol. Thanks!
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
  • comfortablycurt
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I have a question about trimming a tree , if you not mind work related questions during off-time.

More than once I have seen, what looks to me, a perfectly good tree reduced to a naked, exposed shrub. The trimming was almost total in that all branches were gone, leaving the tree looking like it has been amputated to death, and dying. On the other hand, they did seem to survive, after some “sick” time.

Is this a normal practice, or are these guys like me, know nothings with a chain saw?

I think what you're referring to here is "topping". Where they take a limb and reduce the height of it by cutting it off mid-limb. This is not an acceptable tree care practice, and is only really practiced by what I like to refer to as "hillbilly with a ladder" tree services. Needless to say, that's not me. I'm an ISA(International Society of Arboriculture) Certified Tree Worker/Climber Specialist, and I'm in training to become a Certified Arborist. I'm apprenticing under my older brother, who's been a Certified Arborist for about 8 years now.

Topping a tree is one of the worst things you can do for them. Trees have vascular systems just like people do, this is called the cambium layer. Starches and sugars get transferred through this layer to the crown, and the leaves transfer the "food" through the process of photosynthesis down this layer to the rest of the tree. When you remove the top of the tree it essentially sends it into a state of shock.

Like I said, the leaves are how a tree produces it's food. When you remove all of these major limbs and in turn, the leaves all at once, the tree basically freaks out and starts trying to produce as many new growths as it can, to produce the food it needs to survive. This is why a couple years or so later there are about 6-7 new shoots where there used to be one solid limb. This weakens the trees structural integrity by roughly 49%. Where there used to be one solid limb, there are now about 6-7 smaller, weak limbs, with a cavity right in the center that is essentially rotting away little by little.

The purpose of it is to reduce a tree's height, but it's really ineffective in the long run, because of all the new shoots that it produces. A couple years later the tree's going to be just as tall, and 49% weaker in the spots where you were attempting the height reduction. Essentially negating what you were trying to achieve.

There are other ways of reducing a tree's height, without doing this. Unfortunately most people that are in the business either don't know this, or don't care. Tree's also have something called an "Apical Mairstem", which is essentially where a smaller branch comes off of a larger limb. In a proper height reduction, you can cut something off mid-limb, but you want to cut it evenly with one of the "apical mairstem's". Ideally, the cutting point should be at a branch that is roughly 1/3 to 2/3 the size of the original limb. This allows the new limb to take over in "apical dominance". The limb is now going to focus all of it's energy and growth into this new primary limb, rather than sprouting out the 6-7 new shoots that you get from topping the tree.

Unfortunately, topping is a very common practice...people are starting to realize how bad it is though. It used to be a lot more common than it is now. If you're ever looking for a tree service, look for someone with ISA certification, because through that certification they're required to, and in all reality would prefer to use proper pruning/care techniques.

You'll be receiving a bill for my consultation. I don't do those for free ya know.;):p j/k
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options
    but for some threads you have to read through 4 pages to get a basic answer. i am new to this stuff and want to learn just not with all the crap that some people put out there

Welcome to the internet. You want concise, direct, slightly biased answers in a nutshell all spelled out and nicely organized. Hire an audio consultant. Being on this forum or any other internet forum is no different than going to library. Do some digging, make some notes and use the search feature.

No one said it was easy

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2009
    Options

Dude, not to jump all over you........but are you serious? Use this kind of stuff for a separate thread or there is a function called a PM (private message). This has PM written all over it.

H9
This discussion has been closed.