OPPO BDP-83 It is simply spectacular ....

Options

Comments

• Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yesterday, I browsing the Consumer Reports special Spring 2010 Electronics issue (10.99 at the grocery store) and this was named the top-rated Blu-Ray player in its category.
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    Yesterday, I browsing the Consumer Reports special Spring 2010 Electronics issue (10.99 at the grocery store) and this was named the top-rated Blu-Ray player in its category.

Wow! good position in the top
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited May 2010
    Options
    In the Oppo's Color Space menu should I set my player to 'Auto' for best picture to my Pio Kuro display? I like to set the player to 'Source Direct' and let my Pio display do the processing.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The Kuro is nice, but I would let the Oppo's ABT processor do the heavy lift.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • digitalvideo
    digitalvideo Posts: 983
    edited May 2010
    Options
    What are all you experiences with the Color Space options and should it be set to a specific selection for bluray and dvd?
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Firmware Release:

Latest Version

Release date: May 5, 2010.
    Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP83-50-0424
    Loader Version: BE2710 or BT0410
    Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Anyone knows the difference in loader versions? is it more of the build date difference?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    Anyone knows the difference in loader versions? is it more of the build date difference?

Release Notes: (http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-50-0424.aspx)

"...This version is designed for both the standard BDP-83 and the BDP-83 Special Edition. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP83-48-1224, the major changes included in this version are:

Traditional splash screen. When there is no disc playing, the player shows the OPPO background screen instead of the "Home Menu". The "Home Menu" can be accessed by pressing the "Home" button on the remote control.
    Improvement to MKV compatibility. Some MKV files do not play or play with severe video artifacts when using previous firmware. This version improves the playback of such files.
    Fix for the SACD pops/crackles issue. Some users have reported hearing pops or crackles between SACD tracks. This issue happens to certain discs that have data frames that are not aligned with track boundaries. This version removes such pops or crackles.
    Revision of the RS-232 control protocol. If the player is equipped with the RS-232 wired control option, the new protocol adds three verbose modes to enable command echo back, automatic status update and automatic program counter update. For a complete list of RS-232 protocols please refer to the OPPO BDP-83 RS-232 Control Protocol V2 document.
    Improved volume control function for the analog audio output. Volume control was previously implemented using the DSP (Digital Signal Processor). This version utilizes the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chips to perform volume control. This change brings the following benefits:
    Fix for the subwoofer hum that happens when the player's volume is set to less than 100 while outputting SACD in DSD format over HDMI;
    Volume control in DSD mode for SACD. Previously volume control does not work for DSD mode. With this version, all analog audio outputs of the BDP-83SE and the dedicated stereo output of the BDP-83 can apply volume control in DSD mode. (Note: OPPO recommends setting the player's volume at 100 and using the volume control of your amplifier or receiver.)
    Fix for a compatibility issue with Sherwood Newcastle R774 A/V receiver. The issue was no audio signal over HDMI when playing a CD.
    Other general disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
    Minor changes to BD-Live and BD-Java behavior. Erasing the persistent storage from the setup menu now erases both downloaded BD-Live contents and Java-based bookmarks. BD-Live access is set to off after resetting factory default settings. If you prefer to have BD-Live access, please turn it on from the setup menu.
    All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version..."
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Cool! I have my Oppo constantly hooked up to an internet connection so I'll download the new firmware tonight.

Great player! :D
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Cool! I have my Oppo constantly hooked up to an internet connection so I'll download the new firmware tonight.

Great player! :D

Ok.:)
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited May 2010
    Options
    New firmware fixed the issue I was having where the 7.1 PCM tracks on the AIX disc had swapped left and right rear surrounds. I was afraid it was a problem in my Onkyo 1007, so I'm glad to see it was just some quirk of the last Oppo firmware causing it.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • polkatese
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I was tweaking and experimenting with my Oppo setup yesterday. I played a couple HDCD and noticed LPCM output is unstable (lock and unlock) to my Pre/Pro. The HDCD light on my Pre/pro blinked intermittently trying to lock in. So I changed the Oppo output to Bitstream and it immediately locked in with no problem. Note that this has no effect when I am on 7.1 multi-channels analog input. It works no matter what. My thought is my Pre/Pro (AV8003) is having difficulty in processing the LPCM HDCD hi-rez signal. Is that a plausible reason? This is only happening with music, not with movie. Has anyone else notice this or having similar issue?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    polkatese wrote: »
    I was tweaking and experimenting with my Oppo setup yesterday. I played a couple HDCD and noticed LPCM output is unstable (lock and unlock) to my Pre/Pro. The HDCD light on my Pre/pro blinked intermittently trying to lock in. So I changed the Oppo output to Bitstream and it immediately locked in with no problem. Note that this has no effect when I am on 7.1 multi-channels analog input. It works no matter what. My thought is my Pre/Pro (AV8003) is having difficulty in processing the LPCM HDCD hi-rez signal. Is that a plausible reason? This is only happening with music, not with movie. Has anyone else notice this or having similar issue?

I read a similar report about the "Marantz AV8003" and was resolved with an upgrade. I would ask the customer service Oppo (service@oppodigital.com)
  • polkatese
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ok. Thanks Bernal!
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Today a friend wanted to see the movie "My bloddy Valentine 3D" on my Oppo BDP-83SE.
    The image quality was amazing and the scenes "3D" are very realistic with effects that are equal to the 3d movie....:D
    *3D aspect
    My Bloody Valentine is the first R-rated film to be projected in Real D technology, as seen in films such as Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    http://www.mybloodyvalentine3ddvd.com
    attachment.php?attachmentid=48769&d=1273545372

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
    03) OPPO BDP-83SE Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio
    04) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    05) DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    06) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    07) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    10) POLKAUDIO LSiC Vertically (Surround speaker)
    11) POLKAUDIO LSiC Vertically (Surround speaker)
    12) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround back speakers)
    13) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround back speakers)
    14) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES 12"(High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=98096 (Not updated)
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • searay40dad
    searay40dad Posts: 82
    edited May 2010
    Options
    i've been giving the -83 some serious consideration when I saw the amazon price at $499a few days ago. didn't want to spend this much originally but seems like its very hard to beat for such a quality universal at this price. guessing thats about as low as this units ever gone? dont seem to be very many retailers, is it more factory direct or am I looking in the wrong places?
    Thanks!
    Searay40dad

Family Room HT/2 CH
    NAD T765hd AV Receiver
    NAD T550 CD/DVD
    NAD C270 Amp (L Ch/HF bridged)
    NAD C270 Amp (R Ch/HF bridged)
    Polk Rti12 mains
    Polk CSi5 center
    Polk PSW505 & PSW303 subs
    Polk FXi A6 surrounds
    Dish 722HD/DVR
    Samsung 50" plasma
    Sony Blu-Ray

Weight Room (aka vintage sound rm)
    NAD 3130 Int Amp
    Denon DCD-810
    NAD 4150 Tuner
    Polk 10B monitors (still sound amazing)
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Factory direct if you are looking to buy new. It's a steal.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    Today a friend wanted to see the movie "My bloddy Valentine 3D" on my Oppo BDP-83SE.
    The image quality was amazing and the scenes "3D" are very realistic with effects that are equal to the 3d movie....:D
    *3D aspect
    My Bloody Valentine is the first R-rated film to be projected in Real D technology, as seen in films such as Journey to the Center of the Earth.
    http://www.mybloodyvalentine3ddvd.com

This BD & DVD version came with the multicolored glasses, not the polarized single lens Real-3D gray glasses like watching Avatar & the latest 3D movies in the theater.
    This type of 3D really made me feel sick and not being able to enjoy the movie at all.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm torn between the Oppo 83 and the Sony S570.

Is the Oppo that much better for Blu-Ray playback or is it marginal?
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »
    I'm torn between the Oppo 83 and the Sony S570.

Is the Oppo that much better for Blu-Ray playback or is it marginal?

:)

"...It's amazing how fast technology changes. The PS3 use to be the fastest BLU-RAY player on the market but all that changed when the 2009 OPPO BDP-83 came out and with the several new models of 2010 BLU-RAY players...."

:)
    ".... Overall the OPPO BDP-83 is a better player than the Sony BDP-S570 since the OPPO has a better video processor and plays DVD-Audio discs. ...".
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    DMara wrote: »
    This BD & DVD version came with the multicolored glasses, not the polarized single lens Real-3D gray glasses like watching Avatar & the latest 3D movies in the theater.
    This type of 3D really made me feel sick and not being able to enjoy the movie at all.

Hello, using glasses that come with the disc I had no problem.
    We use the glasses, image attachments: very interesente effect

attachment.php?attachmentid=48918&d=1274145461
  • DMara
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hello, using glasses that come with the disc I had no problem.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48918&d=1274145461

How could you use the polarized Real3D glasses in that image if the "My Bloody Valentine" BD version was designed for the old multicolored 3D glasses? You are talking nonsense now :p
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How could you use the polarized Real3D glasses in that image if the "My Bloody Valentine" BD version was designed for the old multicolored 3D glasses? You are talking nonsense now :p

Not true. I just said we did a test. The only effect was interesting. I never said it worked.;)
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It took me a whole year w/ my 83 to realize that i could connect it to my sonos and then be able to watch movies and look at pictures off my home NAS.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • DMara
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not true. I just said we did a test. The only effect was interesting. I never said it worked.;)

If it didn't work, what the hell was so interesting about it? You've been posting weird stuff all over CP ;)
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Posts: 174 If it didn't work, what the hell was so interesting about it? You've been posting weird stuff all over CP ;)
    :eek:
    Interestingly Interesting!!:
    :rolleyes:
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Now boys let's play nice...as you know, post counts are not supposed to mean much 'anymore'! Remember...."We're all in it together," as Robert Deniro says in BRAZIL!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • DMara
    edited May 2010
    Options
    :eek:
    Interestingly Interesting!!:
    :rolleyes:

Exactly my point, you got a higher number of posts but mostly were garbage :p By the way, your English is quite interesente :D

Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms: