Polk Audio TSi100 & TSi200- Loudspeaker - Demo

Comments

• mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited October 2009
    Mark, still have not recieved the new boxes and shipping labels. Are they on the way?
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited October 2009
    The request was submitted. I'll follow up. The shipping labels will be emailed when they are ready to be shipped.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    No boxes yet?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mufsoman
    edited November 2009
    Not yet. Can you get a tracking number?
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    I'll call today.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    Mufsoman - New packaging yet?
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    If there's still going to be a wait on the packing materials, I'm able to come and pick them up now. I've finally got wheels again as of a week or so ago.:)

Let me know.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • rru2s
    rru2s Posts: 90
    edited November 2009
    Sorry to sound so cynical, but this thread has aged so long it has become almost a practical joke. 5 months ago these speakers started their shipping tour for listening tests by members, but so far we have only ONE new review with any detail at all.

I thought within a couple months this thread would be showing multiple reports from side-by-side comparisons of the Tsi500s to the Monitor 70s and/or similarly sized/priced Polk floorstanding speakers.

On behalf of myself and other patient forum members, at this point I think I can safely say we all are rather disappointed in the length of time these speakers have been on the road without accomplishing much in the way of test reports.
    Living Room system: 52"HDTV, 4 Mon.70s, Epik Valor, Outlaw RR2150
    Bedroom System: 2 Mon.60s,Velo VRP1200, HK3490
  • mufsoman
    edited November 2009
    I am just as anxious to move these along, but still waiting for some new packaging.

Curt, will you be in the NW Chicago suburbs soon? I could meet you part of the way, maybe Rockford? But I would be glad to have you stop by here and show you my set up. Let me know.

Dan, what's the status of the packaging?
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    You guys can go ahead and do a handoff while we're waiting if you want.

Rru2s - Thanks but I try to keep things moving forward when I am able to devote some time to this volunteer project. I'll be sure to exclude you from ANY demos from here on out.

If this is taking too long for some of you folks, just PM me and I'll remove you from all the lists. I wouldn't want a free offer from Polk, however long it takes, to deny you something in life.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited November 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Rru2s - Thanks but I try to keep things moving forward when I am able to devote some time to this volunteer project. I'll be sure to exclude you from ANY demos from here on out.

If this is taking too long for some of you folks, just PM me and I'll remove you from all the lists. I wouldn't want a free offer from Polk, however long it takes, to deny you something in life.

Well said
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited November 2009
    Trust me, when these get to my door there will be an extensive write up comparing them to my Monitor 70's. In the meantime, I am more than happy to wait my turn in line for a great offer like this from Polk. Mark, keep up the good work.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • comfortablycurt
    edited November 2009
    rru2s wrote: »
    Sorry to sound so cynical, but this thread has aged so long it has become almost a practical joke. 5 months ago these speakers started their shipping tour for listening tests by members, but so far we have only ONE new review with any detail at all.

I thought within a couple months this thread would be showing multiple reports from side-by-side comparisons of the Tsi500s to the Monitor 70s and/or similarly sized/priced Polk floorstanding speakers.

On behalf of myself and other patient forum members, at this point I think I can safely say we all are rather disappointed in the length of time these speakers have been on the road without accomplishing much in the way of test reports.

What? You feel as if you've been cheated or something? Polk is offering to let you try a pair of speakers FREE OF CHARGE in YOUR home. I'm sure these demo's aren't priority number one back at Polk HQ. They do have a business to run.

I think the fact that Polk is even offering these up for demo is awesome! It says a lot about their customer service/consumer relations. If it takes a while...it takes a while.

mufsoman wrote: »
    I am just as anxious to move these along, but still waiting for some new packaging.

Curt, will you be in the NW Chicago suburbs soon? I could meet you part of the way, maybe Rockford? But I would be glad to have you stop by here and show you my set up. Let me know.

Dan, what's the status of the packaging?

Hm...let me get back to you in a day or two. I might be able to make it up there later in the week...or possibly over the weekend.

I think we're scheduling a RAS meet for this weekend...Perhaps the 500's could make an appearance there.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2009
    Let me say that I've been following this thread closely as I would've been in on this Demo if I had remained in the states. And that, in fact, there is more than one review...so far...there might be three? What we need is for the reviews to get themselves to the 'Product' page where the TSI-500s are.

Is there some reason why the reviews that have already been written are not there yet?
    Conradicles got his there?

That's the only issue here if there is one at all. Curt is right....cool it...Polk is giving you a free ride and you're not happy with that....These things take time...and they're moving around the country...will go coast to coast by the time we're done....unless Doro wants to ship to Beijing? A joke of course...

Carry on..

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    cnh wrote: »
    Let me say that I've been following this thread closely as I would've been in on this Demo if I had remained in the states. And that, in fact, there is more than one review...so far...there might be three? What we need is for the reviews to get themselves to the 'Product' page where the TSI-500s are.

That's why I link the product page in the header of the demo thread itself...but very few ppl end up writing reviews. Hey, I can only ask, the rest is up to the individual.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2009
    We were fortunate that Polk Audio sent a set of TSi500 to our recent PolkFest in South Carolina, we demoed these speakers on Saturday afternoon. I would like to take the opportunity to give my impressions of their sound in this thread. Please note that four of the mid-drivers had just been replaced hours before the initial demo so basically these were new out of the box sounding TSi500.

First off if your familiar with the Polk Audio RT line you should know that this speaker faithfully follows the established Polk sound for dual use theater/music speakers. The overall timbre was lively with a sense of the musicians being "there", a non-audio lady (BigFlo someone though dear to Polkies) walked in front of the speakers during Steely Dan's Deacon Blues and commented "wow, they sound like they are playing right in here in the room". There was a certain detailed forwardness, but certainly not overbearing or harsh in any aspect I would say quite snappy and toe tapping.

Upon initial play a looseness in the bass driver was present, fortunately the amplifier being used in the system incorprorated an adjustable dampening circuit which when activated for the lower Hz did tighten the bass into a seemless integration with the mid ranges. This resulted in a full body of sound, quite enjoyable. I was certainly taken back a bit at the perfomance this speaker exhibited. Although the soundstage was not huge, it was adequate and imaging was quite good, not at the level of the 2.3TL SDA the Carver Amazings or Quads we had at the fest but still instruments could be easily placed with well recorded CD's, stage depth was a bit flat sounding with the vocals providing the most dominant forward sound and other instruments placed behind them. Mid-range instruments were quite liquid when used with the PolkFest demo rig gear. The soft domed tweeter provided plenty of sparkle and seemed to respond well to the top end smoothness the tube power provided. There was a sense of air and space present between intruments, on Alison Krause--New Favorite SACD, the title track provided plenty of full body for Krause's voice from a wet your lips whisper to her fully letting loose in the treble with perfect pitch the speaker faithfully captured the emotion of it all.

These speakers are quite nice to look at. A return to Polk's wood veneer with a black gloss top, the speaker employs a curved cabinet to reduce unwanted resonance, certainly I much prefer this look to the VM line, these will fit in your living room without that "plastic" look on the skinny that many speaker manufacture's mass market products now seem to build. Although the associated gear used in this demo might be atypical of the usual AVR type products used to power and process the audio signals in a more typical HT or home music system I do believe there use with the TSi500 and the resulting sound demonstrates just how far Polk's speaker can take you when provided a clean high quality audio signal.

As a final personal note I was fortunate to walk away with this set as my own by having a winning ticket in the PolkFest Raffle. They now reside at my home. No, they are not going to replace the Sound Lab in the Rabbit Hole......but they will provide plenty of musical moments for family to enjoy for a long time.

These are an easy recommendation for anyone looking to step up there sound or break into home audio with a floorstander that is easy on the eyes the wallet and sound good doing it.

Gear Utilized for Demo

BAT VK-31 SE preamp
    Wolcott Presence 220w mono-block amplifiers/w Svetlana EL-34 power tubes
    Denon 2900 SACD player
    Consonance Opera CD player
    Musical Fidelity X-V3 tube buffer
    Hovercraft amp stands
    Shunyata Guardian and PS Audio UPC Power conditioners
    Shunyata PS Audio and Virtual Dynamics Power cords
    MIT Shotgun Speaker Cable and Interconnects

RT1
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    The replacement boxes were due to arrive today....Scott?

If you still want to hand-off to Curt, and then let him handle the drop-off...that's fine by me. Just let me know what you guys work out.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited November 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »
    That's why I link the product page in the header of the demo thread itself...but very few ppl end up writing reviews. Hey, I can only ask, the rest is up to the individual.

I think this really goes to etiquette and responsibility of those that put themselves on the demo list.

Seems like there a cases where folks just view this as a free ride to try stuff out and keep it for as long as they want - til someone says something.

Shouldn't be like that.

Folks that sign up and get the demo item should consider that there are others waiting as well - get on with your demo, write it up, and move them on - think of others.

Its got nothing to do with Polk and everything to do with folks being lazy and not courteous to others on the list.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    I agree, it's just being lazy. They don't have to do anything but take 15 minutes of their time to rate the product.
  • mufsoman
    edited November 2009
    "Erik Tracey" I don't know if your comments were directed to me or just a general comment, but just to set the record straight, I contacted dorokusia to start the process of setting up the next shipment to the next demo within the first two weeks that I had these speakers, before my demo was complete. And I did write a review, granted not a detailed, data heavy review, but my unofficial observations. I have felt guilty having these so long and stated this very early on. Check the posts, I also asked for any other interested Chicagoland Polkies who were interested to avoid the shipping issue and got no response. Dorokusia volunteers to do this demo coordination thing and has been doing what he can to get new packaging, since the current boxes and foam inserets are falling apart. I'v had my Rti8's swapped back in for quite some time assuming that the boxes were arriving any day. And yes they did arrive yesterday. FINALLY

Curt, either we need to do a handoff this weekend or they're getting shipped immediately to the next demo address. Dorokusia, shipping labels? Thanks
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    You're way ahead of the power curve and my comment is directed towards the old timers that have never posted anything. Hopefully they will read this but I lost faith in that a long time ago.

You're just fine Mufsoman.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2009
    friggen old guys.............

besides anybody with muf man in their s/n gotta be cool.

RT1
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited November 2009
    "Erik Tracey" I don't know if your comments were directed to me or just a general comment, but just to set the record straight, I contacted dorokusia to start the process of setting up the next shipment to the next demo within the first two weeks that I had these speakers, before my demo was complete. And I did write a review, granted not a detailed, data heavy review, but my unofficial observations. I have felt guilty having these so long and stated this very early on. Check the posts, I also asked for any other interested Chicagoland Polkies who were interested to avoid the shipping issue and got no response. Dorokusia volunteers to do this demo coordination thing and has been doing what he can to get new packaging, since the current boxes and foam inserets are falling apart. I'v had my Rti8's swapped back in for quite some time assuming that the boxes were arriving any day. And yes they did arrive yesterday. FINALLY

Curt, either we need to do a handoff this weekend or they're getting shipped immediately to the next demo address. Dorokusia, shipping labels? Thanks

No harm, no foul - nothing specific to you - just an 'in general' observation across all of the demo offers - not just this one.

These things seem to drag on and on and on and.......:(

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • mufsoman
    edited November 2009
    Mark, the speakers are all boxed up and ready to go, just need labels. Please send ASAP !!!! No word from Curt yet on a local pick up. Thanks
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,642
    edited November 2009
    Would I still get them next if Curt does not pick them up?
  • comfortablycurt
    edited November 2009
    Mark, the speakers are all boxed up and ready to go, just need labels. Please send ASAP !!!! No word from Curt yet on a local pick up. Thanks

I may be able to come pick them up on Saturday...will you be available? Probably 1ish?

If I come pick them up Saturday, they'll be coming to a RAS meet first thing. So, we'll be able to get several pairs of ears on them.:)

I'll send you a PM later to work out the details.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    All of you can hand them off, you just let me know where they land.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited November 2009
    Posted my review but it hasn't shown up yet. How long does it usually take?
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2009
    Leroy1 - I'm not sure...it goes thru a filter...probably a few days.
  • mufsoman
    edited November 2009
    Curt, I sent you a PM with my cell. Give me a call to work out the details. I may/may not be home at 1:00 Saturday, but if I'm not, someone else should be so you can still pickup. I'll have them ready for you if this is definitely going to happen.

Upstatemax - you should be next with/without Curt, we haven't forgotten about ya
    APC H15
    The rest is TBD.