Polk Audio TSi100 & TSi200- Loudspeaker - Demo

Options

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited November 2009
    Options
    mufsoman wrote: »
    Curt, I sent you a PM with my cell. Give me a call to work out the details. I may/may not be home at 1:00 Saturday, but if I'm not, someone else should be so you can still pickup. I'll have them ready for you if this is definitely going to happen.

Upstatemax - you should be next with/without Curt, we haven't forgotten about ya

I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow(Friday) to work it out. I'd call it about a 75% chance that I'll come and get them Saturday...I'll confirm that tomorrow.

I'll report back when mufsoman and I work out the details.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Scott(Mufsoman) - The labels have been emailed to you.

Frank(Upstatemax) - I need your email and phone number emailed or PM'd to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,629
    edited November 2009
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Scott(Mufsoman) - The labels have been emailed to you.

Frank(Upstatemax) - I need your email and phone number emailed or PM'd to me.

Sent you the info over PM, and I sent you an email.
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Just got back from dropping the speakers off at the local Fed Ex office. Upstatemax, you should see them in a few days or so, depending on how the holiday impacts shipments. Thanks
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • Upstatemax
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Just got back from dropping the speakers off at the local Fed Ex office. Upstatemax, you should see them in a few days or so, depending on how the holiday impacts shipments. Thanks

NICE!

Going to be a good week.
  • mufsoman
    mufsoman Posts: 631
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax - Looks like the speakers were delivered yesterday. Did they arrive in good condition? Enjoy the demo!!!!
    Parasound HCA-2003A & 2205A
    Front: Rti12's
    Center: Csi A6
    Side surrounds: Polk Rti A1's
    Atmos: Mirage Nanosats
    APC H15
    Power cords by Pepster, Morrow MA4 IC's, AQ Midnight, AQ Chocolate HDMI's[/SIZE]
    The rest is TBD.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Sweet, lokks like I am next. I can't wait for this demo!!

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Upstatemax
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax - Looks like the speakers were delivered yesterday. Did they arrive in good condition? Enjoy the demo!!!!

They arrived in great condition!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I'll try this out too if possible.

Thanks!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • Upstatemax
    edited December 2009
    Options
    So I am wrapping up my demo of the TSi500's, so we should start the ball rolling on who will get them next and how to get them there...

I am going to hate handing these to Fedex...

Long story short, Fedex truck driver hit my car and they have been giving me the run around, so now I HATE Fedex. :mad:
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If anyone in the demo list is near Albany, NY....speak up!! If we can do some local handshake demos, to save some money on shipping, thatwould be great.

Let's see if anyone speaks up Upstatemax, otherwise I'll send you labels.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Upstatemax
    edited December 2009
    Options
    If anyone in the demo list is near Albany, NY....speak up!! If we can do some local handshake demos, to save some money on shipping, thatwould be great.

Let's see if anyone speaks up Upstatemax, otherwise I'll send you labels.

sounds good.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Whooo hoooo, these may be on their way to my house just in time for the holidays. Couldn't ask for a better Christmas present, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax - Frank, are you wrapped up on these?
  • Upstatemax
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax - Frank, are you wrapped up on these?

Been wrapped up... Just waiting to hear who I should send them off to or if they were going to get handed off.

The review will be up soon, with the holidays and working 70hrs a week since it's the end of the year, it's been hard to find time to sit down and write it...
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    No worries Frank, thanks for the demo and write it when you get time.

I'll send you some labels.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Is there someone in the demo list that's closer to New York?

Wutadsmn23 is in Washington state and I'd like to do some local shipping hops before going that far west.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,798
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Is there someone in the demo list that's closer to New York?

Wutadsmn23 is in Washington state and I'd like to do some local shipping hops before going that far west.

Doro,

I am in Toledo OH about half way across the country.

Xavier
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Looks like you win....I'll send labels to Frank.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm in MI if that will help after the OH polkies are done.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Remind me Dude.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2010
    Options
  • Upstatemax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on the TSi 500's against my Monitor 70's:

Looks: I was hesitant on how I would feel about the piano black top, I imagined it as cheesy looking and would take away from the speaker. However, I was dead wrong, they look great. Much nicer looking than my Monitor 70’s, it’s just no competition there.

The huge “upgrade” in looks in my opinion is the “wood” fascia under the speaker grill, unlike the cheap silver one the Monitor line has. I never take my speaker grills off since I think it makes the speakers look really cheap. The opposite is true for the Tsi line in my opinion, I liked them better with the grill off.

Sound: As a starter I guess I should run down what my system is; Denon AVR-2808ci receiver, PS3 for gaming and Blu-Ray, Usually have Monitor 70’s as the front mains, CS2 center, Fxi-3 surrounds, PSW10 sub (I know it sucks, but it’s what I got…). For the fist “face off” I threw in John Mayer “Where The Light Is” Blu- Ray, I really only listen to the middle set with the Trio, major focus on blues and highlights the guitar (played in 2 channel). I found the low end to hit a little harder on the Tsi 500’s and seemed tighter, that’s where the highlights end in my test…

The top end did not seem to differ at all from the Monitors, where I noticed to difference was in the mid range. It seemed not to flow at all and I felt disconnected from the music compared to the Monitors. The sound field also seemed to be much more narrow than the Monitors, I really had to put a premium on where I was sitting and speaker placement that I never have with my Monitors.

After the music I put on Iron Man (Blu-Ray) and tested the HT chops of the Tsi 500’s. I know Polk says that the Tsi 500’s are more efficient than the Monitors 70’s, but I after playing the movie for five minutes (first time listening in five channel) I had to crank down my CS2 since it was overpowering the Tsi 500’s. I decided to stop the movie, run a calibration and restart. Once the system was calibrated to the Tsi’s I restarted the movie and found it to be MUCH better. The Tsi 500’s handled HT far better than they did music, the tight lowend really shined in HT, however some effects still sounded distant and disconnected.

A few days later I put “Where The Light Is” back on and gave it a whirl in 5 channel… I found it impossible to listen to it, once again the CS2 just plowed over the Tsi’s. To make sure it was just not the recording, I played several other recordings in 5 channel and 2 channel. David Gilmore “Live in Gdansk“, Metallica “S&M”, ZZ-Top “Storytellers” and “Live From Texas”, Coldplay “Storytellers”… All had the same issue, the Tsi’s just seemed to fall into the background and never really present themselves. Combine that with the detached feeling I got from them in 2 channel listening, I really just started to miss my Monitor 70’s…

Sure they might not be as pretty, might not have as nice of a lower end (Tsi 500’s hit harder and tighter), but they are so much more fluid and detailed to me that I feel like Polk went backwards with the Tsi 500’s. The main issue seems to be that Polk swapped out the Cascade crossover with a more conventional crossover. The only other major change I can sniff out is the port, it’s been moved from the front of the speaker to the bottom of the speaker firing into the floor.

Bottom line, I would most likely like these more if it were my first real HT purchase and I never heard my Monitors, but now that I have something to put them up against I just feel that they fall short. I just wish they sounded as good as they look…
  • wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Great review Upstate, finally an answer to the debate about the 500's and the 70's. I'm sure cnh will be eager to read this review too. I love my 70's and hoefully I can audition the 500's soon and see what I think about them compared to my 70's. Thanks again.

-Jeff

BTW, did you post this in the review section for the 500's? I'm glad you put it here, but it needs to go there too. The link is in the original post.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Great review upstate...I hate to say I told you so....but I did! In numerous posts....basing most of my judgment on a combination of having heard the TSI-400s and owning the 300s so I was able to at least compare the tweeter and the essential specifications.

The TSIs look great, they sound great for HT! Their cabinets have been specifically engineered for that and I do not fault Polk for that. That's the market boys...not many people are buying M70s or 500s for their two channel sound. They're trying to build an affordable hometheater. And there Polk has not gone backward but moved forward. The same crossover for the entire series creates a more seamless sound for HT. And the bottom ports help with the low end as Upstate says.

We are assuming that that cascade crossover is gone. But have no real confirmation on that..but it would seem from upstate's listening tests that it is. That crossover makes the M70s image (in 2 channel) much better than my smaller TSI-300s which is counter-intuitive?

While this confirms my suspicion...different people will hear different things. I've read posts where some guys swear the 500s are a better all around? So this is not the definitive end to an audio argument as if there could ever be one.

In conclusion, I'd say if you're a HT guy/gal and you want nice surround sound at an affordable price and with a sophisticated look....Look no further than the TSI series.

On the other hand if you want a cheap tower system that can do double duty 2 channel and HT and are also interested in just music--don't put the M70s out to pasture quite yet.

Jeff..somewhere here, you will be next. If you agree with upstate then..well you know.

I just want to provide a bit of balance in here for us snotty M70 owners. Don't listen to us!!!...go hear the TSIs for yourself...you'll like them!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    LOL, I hear ya. I am going into this demo with an open mind, because in all honesty I am sure I will like the 500's, but as much as my 70's, that remains to be seen, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• xsmi
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I got these today. i will begin my listening around 9PM tonight.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • xsmi
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Initial listening is that that the highs are fairly smooth compared to the speakers I will be comparing them to, with the mids a little laid back. The bass is deep and fairly controlled. Diana Krall's voice has a VERY good presence. My only quibble is sound stage, it's very narrow. I am going to have to futz with placement to finally dial them in. Overall am fairly pleased with sound I am getting especially for the price. I will have more after this weekend.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited January 2010
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    My only quibble is sound stage, it's very narrow.QUOTE]

Have heard that from a few people now. Still a quality speaker no doubt, and easy on the eyes too, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• Upstatemax
    edited January 2010
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    I got these today. i will begin my listening around 9PM tonight.

Good to hear that you got them. :)