What are YOU gonna do w/ your $600.00?

Comments

• polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited January 2008
    Face wrote: »
    Well, if this is for the 08 tax year, I should be eligible. But if they're using the 06 or 07 tax year to determine if you're eligible, I may have to wait till next year to receive it.

There is no next year. From what I can tell it wil be based on 2007 TRs, but based on when they claim to be sending out checks there will still be a lot of 2007 TRs outstanding due to extensions. We have a couple of clients that had very good 2007s (really fluke year) due to a big back log of work. 2008 looks slow. Back in December they paid out well above normal discretionary bonuses (some in the range of 50% of a person's pay). Some people that normally make $60,000 got $30,000 bonues becuase the owners were going to "share the wealth" with the employees (many of whom had not not seen a bonus in several years). Well if it is based on 2007 income, these people will all be hosed. If the checks had been cut in January everything would be fine, but they wanted to get the money to the employees in time for Christmas. Talk about rotten luck!

Seeing this impact (several of the employees are just now realizing their bad luck) just reaffirms to me that this was an awful idea. (Aside from the fact that this is not a rebate, tax refund, or anything like that - this is a plain old government handout. The deal several years ago was an eccelerated refund based on the lowering of income tax rates, the advance refund checks went out along with a payroll tax withholding table adjustment. On your tax return you reported the amount of your advance refund and it was a reduction of any refund (or an increase to tax due) on your return. This is a straight-up handout, it has nothing to do with your tax return other than those that make above the arbitrary threshhold get nothing.)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I'll be making at least $20k less this year, oh well. :(
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    ND13 wrote: »
    Income has "NOTHING" to do with how HARD someone works.

I respectfully disagree, I think it has everything to do with it in the big picture.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2008
    Ours will now be saved for our 10 day vacation to the island of Oahu later this year. I'm just now getting started with the booking of events and airfare. A coworker is setting us up with a condo at Turtle Bay. I've never been to any of the islands, I cannot wait.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited February 2008
    Already spent it on a Sony 46" LCD TV. Talk about spending $ that we have not received yet. :(
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    Boehner said the ($600 'rebate') agreement ''was not easy for the two of us and our respective caucuses.''

''You know, many Americans believe that Washington is broken,'' the Ohio Republican said. ''But I think this agreement and I hope that this agreement will show the American people that we can fix it.'
    '

That has to be one of the most unintentionally telling statements I've ever heard.

Payoff! We're fixed now, and working hard on your behalf. Right.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    I desperately need toilet paper
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote: »

I hear Doro stopped using it a while ago.....You should ask him for the remainder of his supply.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote: »

When I was in Saudi Arabia, toilet paper wasn't readily available (no trees). Instead, they plumbed up a kitchen sprayer thing next to the John. Kind of like a poor-man's hand-held butt shower - cold water.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2008
    Didn't you know that you're suppose to use your left hand?
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited February 2008
    Boehner said the ($600 'rebate') agreement ''was not easy for the two of us and our respective caucuses.''

''You know, many Americans believe that Washington is broken,'' the Ohio Republican said. ''But I think this agreement and I hope that this agreement will show the American people that we can fix it.'
    '

That has to be one of the most unintentionally telling statements I've ever heard.

Payoff! We're fixed now, and working hard on your behalf. Right.

You said it! Spending 167 Billion of money this country doesn’t have to put in the hands of folks that meet a certain criteria is just wrong. To me, its bad fiscal policy and I would even go as far as stating that this reaction has everything to do with an election that is coming in November.

It doesn’t benefit either party more or less, but what it does do, is give them the “But We tried” in the event we are in a recession once the election comes around. Let’s face it, all polls show the economy is the #1 concern for all voters right now.

In my opinion, this is a classic Short term gain, Long term loss. I realize there are many that need this money and will benefit from it and if you prayed to God for relief and this check provides you with that, then Bless you. I’m happy that you’re happy. I just have a problem with the lawmaker’s true intentions in this.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited February 2008
    saving money for sure...houses are expensive around here..
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to take mine, endorse it, and send it back to George and tell him to apply it to the national debt.......
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Sweet, 600 bucks out of nine trillion dollars will make a nice dent.

That's .00000065%. :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Sweet, 600 bucks out of nine trillion dollars will make a nice dent.

That's .00000065%. :)

Nah.....somewhere in Oregon,someone needs the government to build a snowman....600 bucks sounds about on par for this task.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    Lorthos wrote: »
    I'm going to take mine, endorse it, and send it back to George and tell him to apply it to the national debt.......

It would be one thing if your money was where your mouth was. Nobody ever does it.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    It would be one thing if your money was where your mouth was. Nobody ever does it.

No, I'm really going to do it, If I say I'm going to do something I do it, trust me...

I know its hard to take what somebody says on these boards seriously and I know its probably going to be hard to prove this.....maybe I'll contact our big Newspaper here in Montana and see if they'll cover me sending the check back.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    I'm sending mine back to the government if I even get it. Just did my taxes and owe twice that much this year. Normally I get a few $K back but a lot went down last year. Is there still a top income number associated with the $600?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2008
    This may fit the bill for some. Not what I will be using my $600.00 for, but I am looking at it to spend another $600 I have possibly on it from some local CL sales I just made. http://www.needledoctor.com/core/media/media.nl?id=12168&c=ACCT106601&h=13cb5ec016121f893633
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited February 2008
    Hookers and blow.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2008
    No, I'm really going to do it, If I say I'm going to do something I do it, trust me...

I know its hard to take what somebody says on these boards seriously and I know its probably going to be hard to prove this.....maybe I'll contact our big Newspaper here in Montana and see if they'll cover me sending the check back.

Do that.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    When you go to endorse it, you will see:

By signing this check, you agree to enter into a binding contract. You hereby agree that if hookers and blow are the designated use of these monies, you will cut George Jr half you're pile, and give him sloppy seconds with any and all hookers.

Cronie Capitalism.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2008
    When you go to endorse it, you will see:

By signing this check, you agree to enter into a binding contract. You hereby agree that if hookers and blow are the designated use of these monies, you will cut George Jr half you're pile, and give him sloppy seconds with any and all hookers.

Cronie Capitalism.

Ha ha ha, at least with President Bush he only takes half unlike the Clintons that for the past 30 years their Cronies have been showing up dead in droves!!!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2008
    Paying off bills with my portion. Owe a measly $400 on a Belks charge; sounds like a good time to pay it off.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    The way things are going this year, I'll be eligible.

Maybe I'll use it to pay for another tattoo.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited February 2008
    Screw the legalities, i've decided to get the SR set i've been eyeing for the past year and a half. Can't tell you how overjoyed i am right now waiting...
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2008

I already sent mine back in advance ... But then again I don't think I had a whole lot of choice in the matter ...
  • reberly
    reberly Posts: 173
    edited February 2008
    Whatever portion of the $600 I end up getting I am sending it all back. I don't want to contribute to George borrowing the money from probably China and then turning around and doing what he wants, which is buying goods most likely made in China. Over time what is the end cost to this money we are borrowing, you probably can't even calculate it because we never will truely pay it back. I would love to give it to charity but that shows that I approve of this cash giveaway and think it will somehow solve our economic mess. I just need to figure out who to send it back to. I dont want to just write "refused" or "return to sender". I want to send to someone that will take notice and hopefully that person might have received 10's of thousands of returned checks also. Any suggestions?
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk LSi15 , LSiC, LSiFX
    Parasound Halo A52
    Panasonic 42'' Plasma
    Oppo BDP-83
    Sonos
    Panamax 4300
    Audioquest cables
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2008
    Take the political horseshit someplace else. There are any number of political forums to accomodate you.

Feel absolutely free to stick the check where the sun doesn't shine. OK?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    For anyone sending the check 'back' (as if that's going to do anything at all), you should know that the address for the White House has changed, surprisingly to an address in Derry, NH.

Be sure to endorse your check before returning.

PM me for details.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.