Capacitor shootout

Options

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I have to tell you Mike now that I have about 30 hours on the Clarity PX series caps in my 5B's, I'm really digging them. They are much smoother and coherent than the Solen was on the high pass. And they are less shouty and have sweetness that just keeps improving. They have a bit more air and transparency, all very noticeable over the Solen. I can't wait until I hit 100-150 hour mark.

Can't even imagine how good the higher line CC's are.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2009
    Options
    {Putting on my flame suit} I am not a huge fan of RDO's(no I didn't say they sucked), But I have found them too laid back in my experience with them. I have some 1C XO's that I want to do with Dayton's on the shunts, and Claritycaps on the highs. I have a few friends local with the 1C's that I hope to do a shootout with. They are running Sonicaps high and low and 194's. If I have to look further for volunteers I will. I have never liked the ringing of the caps when being plucked. I have thought of wrapping them with dynamat to deaden them.
    Thanks for the write up Face.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your findings Mike.
    One last thing, I've recently learned that the quality of shunt caps can influence sound quality more than I initially though.

That's what I've been saying for a long time. My experience is limited compared to yours, but I've found Sonicap's make great shunt caps. What's your fancy?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's what I've been saying for a long time. My experience is limited compared to yours, but I've found Sonicap's make great shunt caps. What's your fancy?
    It's only recently that I started comparing caps in the shunt position, and most of it has been in midrange shunts and tweeter zobels. That said, any of the above caps will do a fine job. I'll follow up with more tomorrow.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Oki doki
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Recently, I started to compare caps in tweeter zobels, notch filters, midrange and woofer shunts. The biggest differences I found were in the tweeter notch filters and midrange shunt. In both cases I found differences in timbre and dynamics. Where a pair of Clarity MR's were too harsh in line with the mid, in the shunt position they were more than acceptable.

Last week I swapped out a pair of MR's with a pair of SA's in the woofer circuit of my big Tannoys. Before making any final assertions, I need to break them in, but as of right now I'm disappointed. Dynamics did suffer a little, and low end bass isn't as tight. I'll check back in a few weeks when they're broken in.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I'm tempted to try what Wilson does and experiment with encapsulating my crossovers in a resin, but I sometimes I like to swap parts from one speaker to another. Plus there's the thought of making a mistake and ruining parts. Maybe I'll try it with cheaper components first.

Another way I've seen it done is to encapsulate a capacitor in a wood block.

I've also heard of "listening" to capacitor with a stethoscope. Compare different designs by just how microphonic they are.

I've also had a discussion recently (with no good answer) about the possibility of some cap designs with metals in them being perhaps influenced a bit if they are placed closer to a magnetic field. Any thoughts or experiences by anybody there?

CoolJazz
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Face
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I've heard of crossover components playing music without drivers hooked up to them, no stethoscope needed. :) That is an interesting idea though.

Never heard of caps being influenced by magnetic fields...are you talking values, sound, etc...? How would you propose testing? Measuring response with inductors nearby then moved away? Then compensating for resistance and capacitance from additional leads, etc...?
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited October 2009
    Options
    This was in regards to a preamp that a buddy has been developing for a long while, fooling with PS issues endlessly. We've been trying to convince him that with a big PS, there is good reasons to do it externally in a seperate chassis. Not liking to use electrolytics when possible, he's trying to use alternates and I just got to wondering if the various tin foil etc. designs could be influenced by all the chokes he's got in there.

I just had never heard any discussion along these lines, as to whether caps designed with various metals in them, can be altered by the magnetic flux. I'm very familiar with the magnetics and their interaction, but this was simply wondering out loud about the possibilities of foils being effected in some way.

You've likely seen the discussions of the Russian teflons and removing the metal jacket and sounding better, so it doesn't seem beyond reason to think we could have blurring of images in other ways too. I would suspect it'd be beyond measuring very well...would be more in the resulting sonic presentation.

Potting and various fastening methods of caps, particularly in crossovers and their vibration prone environment, is well accepted. So minor vibrations in electronic components could be a tweeky thing, depending on the construction of the cap and how vibration prone the mounting is and so on.

CoolJazz
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2009
    Options
    bump - just want to find easier cuz this is too damn long.......
  • Face
    edited October 2009
    Options
  • Face
    edited February 2010
    Options
  • ben62670
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Face.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wushuliu
    wushuliu Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Erse Pulse X caps? I just swapped out caps (Claritycap PX/SA and some Apex Jr. Aerovox) in my Modula MTM and put some of them in. Too soon to tell, but they have some snap to them but without being harsh. Better than Dayton/Solen/Crosscaps so far...
  • Des Moines
    Des Moines Posts: 115
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »

Ben,

I just read the entire capacitor shootout thread... amazing posts from you and Face. How did the claritycaps compare to the dayton / bennic in terms of sound quality and cost?

Let me know when you are ready / have time for another xo upgrade.
    HT in Progress
    Receiver - Harmon Kardon AVR520 5.1
    Fronts - Polk SDA 1C
    Center - Polk CS350
    Monitor - Sharp Aquos LCD
    NMT - Mede8er500x
    Cables - Signal Ultra
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I hope the Sonicaps provide superior sound over the Daytons considering they're about twice the $.

Seriously which Dayton caps do you recomend? I priced the Metallized 1% Polypropylene against the Sonicaps. Is the price really worth the difference?

Right now I have have completly unmodified RTi A7s. Plan to go the bi-amp and eventually tri-amp route w/4th order EXO*s when I get to it.

for safety's sake I think I should at least "cap" the tweets to protect against DC offset.

thnx for your help, research, & for reading this far, tony
    * already have 'em & I don't plan to change that
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Face
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sonic Caps are definitely worth the extra money in the HF circuit.

Why do you want to re-engineer your RTi's?
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2010
    Options
    After reading tons of reviews, picked up ClarityCap SA caps for my new Maggies MGII rebuild. The 10uF capacitor is the only capacitor in the crossover (the other part is the inductor).

I tried Solens in the pair that I sold. Those took a long time to burn in, but it seems that the highs rolled down too quickly. IMHO, original caps in my other pair had crisper highs (not necessarily better, but definitely crisper and sharper).

So now I have a rebuilt pair with original caps and getting ready to rebuild another pair (mainly replacing tweeter wire). So I figured I'll swap the original caps with ClarityCap SA series.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8128

Just a note: these caps are massive! 45mm long and 45mm diameter.

SA010uf.jpg
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • heiney9
    edited April 2010
    Options
    +1 For Clarity over Dayton. Sonicaps are worth every cent.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sonicaps are great, but I've also found Jantzen's budget caps to be worth the money. I've also heard only good things as you head up the line too.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Sonic Caps are definitely worth the extra money in the HF circuit.

Why do you want to re-engineer your RTi's?

They seem a bit bright/edgy & a tad lean in the bass. As if Polk chose to make the tone slightly tilted. Listen to the subs alone they're impresive!

I've even connected a Hafler to the top*, the Belles to the subs
    * slightly sweeter mid/upper

I've heard first hand what an inexpensive upgrade can do; Very curious what I'll get with the Sonics, Daytons, etc

I'll send the rest of this post to you privately; this thread is about caps
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • audiobilly
    audiobilly Posts: 351
    edited April 2010
    Options
    After 2 years and 4 months of pontification, lots of opinions what is the answer to the "Capacitor Shootout"?

Is there not a cost vs. result that can be quantified?
  • ben62670
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would say low budget wise Dayton's. Medium Clarity's caps. For those wanting to keep their speakers for a long time Sonicaps. Also you may have a different opinion on caps. These are just guidelines to fallow with tone of each flavor.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • audiobilly
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Also you may have a different opinion on caps. These are just guidelines to fallow with tone of each flavor.
    Ben

Lots of time spent being vague:D. With the info in this thread, I find that it seems to be subjective to a certain degree. I am trying to gain a better understanding of what would sound the best, without having to try this, try that, and spend unnecessary money and time. Specially since people are already experimenting.

Ben can you give any input, in a PM or direct if possible? I have seen posts about the caps for the tweets, but no comments about how to run the non- bass drivers.
  • zingo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think I'm getting a mix of Jantzen Z-Caps (Standard, Superior, and Silver) for a speaker rebuild project. More details to come...

Superior_Z_Cap_cr-725.jpg
  • zingo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    audiobilly wrote: »
    Lots of time spent being vague:D. With the info in this thread, I find that it seems to be subjective to a certain degree. I am trying to gain a better understanding of what would sound the best, without having to try this, try that, and spend unnecessary money and time. Specially since people are already experimenting.

Ben can you give any input, in a PM or direct if possible? I have seen posts about the caps for the tweets, but no comments about how to run the non- bass drivers.

What speakers are you going to rebuild the XOs for? That will also make a difference.
  • audiobilly
    edited April 2010
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    What speakers are you going to rebuild the XOs for? That will also make a difference.

Monitor 10, and SDA-1A. Will be focusing more on the SDA-1A set since they are a bet more complex than the 10s'.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2010
    Options

Re-read the rebuild threads.............no vagueness in those.
  • zingo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Monitor 10, and SDA-1A. Will be focusing more on the SDA-1A set since they are a bet more complex than the 10s'.

Sonicaps are usually always a good choice, especially with Polks. What's your parts budget look like as that will also shape your parts list.
  • zingo
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would say low budget wise Dayton's. Medium Clarity's caps. For those wanting to keep their speakers for a long time Sonicaps. Also you may have a different opinion on caps. These are just guidelines to fallow with tone of each flavor.
    Ben

I was talking to Jeff at Sonic Craft the other day and he actually does not recommend Sonicaps for every application.

The Sonicap G1 works well with many speakers including the Polks.
    However, some products benefit more from different caps. Such is the
    case with [horn speakers]. The Jupiters will make the compression horns
    rich with harmonic bloom. They will be ultra musical with extra
    emotion. The G1 will not do this. [Horn] speakers could use it.

It goes to show you that there can be different caps not only for listener preference, but also speaker synergy.