Capacitor shootout

Options

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2009
    Options
    For those on the fence, Madisound finally lowered their Claritycap MR prices...oh boy! :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Big Blue arrived today. :eek:

Cap%20Comparison.jpg

Left: 220uf, Middle Top: 22uf, Middle Bottom: 20uf, Right: 90uf.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Wow! How do you like the Mundorf basic poly caps verses the Claritys?
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I've never compared them back to back, but the basic Mundorfs are on par with Daytons.
  • zingo
    edited May 2009
    Options
    That's a big price difference for what could be not much of a SQ gain.
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Big Blue arrived today. :eek:

Cap%20Comparison.jpg

Left: 220uf, Middle Top: 22uf, Middle Bottom: 20uf, Right: 90uf.

Face,
    What are the plans for the "Big Blues" ??
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Series caps in the midrange of the custom speakers I bought.

Initial impressions, subtle improvement over the Daytons they replaced. I will reserve any real judgments until I get 100 hours on them, but I wasn't expecting a night and day improvement like I saw in the HF circuit. I should start drawing images of my soundstage like some other lunatic here does. :D
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Holy crap that thing is huge! :D Subscribed.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Series caps in the midrange of the custom speakers I bought.

Initial impressions, subtle improvement over the Daytons they replaced. I will reserve any real judgments until I get 100 hours on them, but I wasn't expecting a night and day improvement like I saw in the HF circuit. I should start drawing images of my soundstage like some other lunatic here does. :D

Get drawing because if the shoe fits wear it! I gotta watch my language or I'd call you a lunatic. I think my nephew got 5 points for calling his teacher a skunk butt one day and he's 8 years old.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2009
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    Get drawing because if the shoe fits wear it! I gotta watch my language or I'd call you a lunatic. I think my nephew got 5 points for calling his teacher a skunk butt one day and he's 8 years old.

You got hit too?
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You got hit too?

LOL Yeah, for some kind of language, I went back and read thru my posts and found nothing to get in a twist about. The guy who sent me the PM has used very similar language. Oh well, maybe I will get a reply to my question regarding my "inappropriate language" but not holding my breath.
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Get drawing because if the shoe fits wear it! I gotta watch my language or I'd call you a lunatic.
    You can call me whatever you want, I'm sure I've been called worse. :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited May 2009
    Options

I'm cracking up here :D

Oh yeah....Mike, I like the color blue and that's a pretty blue cap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I should start drawing images of my soundstage like some other lunatic here does. :D
    I have a hunch but whom may I ask did such a thing?:D
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Kepheuscaps.jpg

I believe those are from a Peak Consulting loudspeaker. :eek:
  • NJPOLKER
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Not yours?
    Any update on the big blues?
    Your a skunk butt!!!
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Those are probably over $500 each in aluminum, over $1,000 in copper.

Big Blues are still breaking in. When I get some more hours on them I'll swap them for the broken in Daytons I was using to see how much of a difference they really made.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'd expect and hope you find a difference between the two, Big Blue's and Dayton's, but you never know. I/we look forward to your findings.
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'd expect and hope you find a difference between the two, Big Blue's and Dayton's, but you never know. I/we look forward to your findings.
    If I didn't mention it already, the difference in my HF circuit was night and day. Much larger soundstage, better defined images, more dynamic, and better tonality.
  • NJPOLKER
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You probably did mention it but sometime I don't pay attention.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Kepheuscaps.jpg

I believe those are from a Peak Consulting loudspeaker. :eek:
    Holy Moly.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It's off the capacitor topic, but I just installed a some Jantzen/Mundorf metalized resistors in my Swans and I really like the clarity they provide. I'm not sure if they are better than the Mills, but they are definitely bigger; and cheaper at $2.50 each. I'll report back after they burn in, but until further notice, they will be my resistor of choice.

resistor.bmp
    Mundorf vs. standard 2w and 5w resistors
  • zingo
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'm still not sure these aren't powder kegs...

PICT4246a.JPG
  • Face
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I found them more transparent than Mills also. I believe they're also known as MOX resistors.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited June 2009
    Options
    So Ben, are the Daytons the clear favorite?
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2009
    Options
    So Ben, are the Daytons the clear favorite?

No, but for low budget so far they are the best cheap cap.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited June 2009
    Options
    So, for the average joe doing crossover mods....

upgrade (bang for the buck) - Sonicap
    Upgrade (on a budget) - Dayton

????

or are you going to make me read this whole thread to figure out what you found???
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2009
    Options
    McLoki wrote: »
    So, for the average joe doing crossover mods....

upgrade (bang for the buck) - Sonicap
    Upgrade (on a budget) - Dayton

????

or are you going to make me read this whole thread to figure out what you found???

Yep. Or go active crossover. I hate passive XO's now.
    Seriously I use Dayton's, or Solens as shunt caps, and Sonicaps in series with any driver.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I'm always leery about manufacturer's "white papers", since most of the time they're written to sell a product, but I believe Claritycap is really onto something: http://www.madisound.com/pdf/claritycap/MRWhitePaper.pdf

Having compared 10+ brands/types of caps in a few different speakers, I found that Claritycap's ESA and MR lines throw a soundstage almost on par with Duelund's CAST. The common factor between the ESA, MR, and CAST is that they're all non-resonant designs. It's usually more evident in larger values, but most film caps will ring when tapped or flicked. I found the opposite true of Duelund VSF's though.

Claritycap's ESA's don't give up much on the big boys. They may be a little less transparent, but their warmish tone, large soundstage, and low price(in comparison) make them a real bargain.

Claritycap MR's are more transparent, but have a different timbre that may make finding good synergy more difficult. They are not very forgiving of bad source material, metal cones, metal domes, or forward/bright sounding gear. With my newer Tannoy's and a Marantz source, they're the bee's knees. With a Cambridge source, a metal dome horn tweeter or magnesium drivers, the sound was less than pleasing.

Duelund VSF, smooth, very natural timbre, but smaller soundstage than the others mentioned here.

Duelund CAST, best of both words, warm with no lack of detail, huge soundstage, but at a premium cost.

I'm tempted to try what Wilson does and experiment with encapsulating my crossovers in a resin, but I sometimes I like to swap parts from one speaker to another. Plus there's the thought of making a mistake and ruining parts. Maybe I'll try it with cheaper components first.

One last thing, I've recently learned that the quality of shunt caps can influence sound quality more than I initially though. Of course, YMMV.