Capacitor shootout

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited January 2008
    Capacitor info/ratings you might find interesting, http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Dayton caps are made by the same company that makes Bennic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2008

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    Great links, thanks Jesse!

Now let's see what the budget allows...
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2008
    Well the Dayton/Bennic caps are definitely sharper/more detailed on the highs. They are still warming up. I am also using silver speaker wire on them, and the cymbals, and rim shots are definitely right there. The sound of symbols is sweet. You can hear the shimmer much better with these. It is a little premature, but if they sound that much better already I am going to have to say they beat the Solen's. I haven't had anything get worse after burn-in yet.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    Solen caps are known for not sounding all that good at the upper end.

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    edited January 2008
    dustradio wrote: »
    get some mil spec tantium caps, they can last a lifetime and just kill others

Mil Spec means they can handle harsh environments, and not necessarily sound good

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited January 2008
    Please let the Solens win....please let the Solens win.....:(:(

I dont want to have to take apart my speaks again....:mad:
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    Please let the Solens win....please let the Solens win.....:(:(

I dont want to have to take apart my speaks again....:mad:

I wish they would. I did all my speakers in Solen's. I would only change the Solen's in the tweeter curcuit.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2008
    Ben, all due respect it's a little early in the game to already have a clear choice :)., IMHO.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Ben, all due respect it's a little early in the game to already have a clear choice :)., IMHO.

I understand where you are coming from, but already they sound quite a bit better than the Solen's. I have about 30hrs on the Dayton's. I left Solen's in one speaker, and have the Dayton's in the other. The highs are very nice, and like I said the shimmer from the snare drum, and the cymbals is very nice. With the Dayton's the sustained sounds just fall off to quickly. This is not artifacts, but the recording sounding truer to life.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited January 2008
    Solen sucks. They should be ripped out of every component where they are found.

(Whew! I've been wanting to say that for a while.)

OK, maybe I'm being too harsh. But they are basic, entry level caps, so you can't expect much musicality from 'em.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't say they suck, they were a big upgrade from OEM for me. I am looking to upgrade again though, I just haven't decided on a brand or budget yet.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Mil Spec means they can handle harsh environments, and not necessarily sound good

Ben

Mil Spec is an overused phrase in audio.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    They are a long way from sucking especially compared to $2 stock components. Are there better caps out there, yes there certainly are. Solens are a solid choice for the typical DIY'er on a budget with a budget speaker. They are not "cream of the crop" but neither is their cost.

I'm sure other like Bennic, Clarity, Madisound, etc are comparable and of course they all will have their own sound characteristics which some will like and dislike. I'm sure opinions run the typical gamut just like everything else audio.

God, you'd think Solen was made by Monster the way some people are hating :rolleyes::)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    For those in doubt about Solens here is a good post(s) to read. I stand by my comments 6 mos. later.

In reference to my Monitor 5b upgrade:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622486&postcount=64

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=623358&postcount=87

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647616&postcount=112

FWIW

H9
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2008
    I'm not sure what this whole excercise is going to prove other than Ben stating his opinion. He could have just read about the caps and rolled dice for that matter.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    heiney9 wrote: »

God, you'd think Solen was made by Monster the way some people are hating :rolleyes::)

H9

I'm not hating them. They are definitely better than stock, but Dayton's are better than Solen's for the same price. I would not have used them in all my speakers if I "hated" them. I will end up changing out my Solen's on my upgrades. I would like to at least use Sonicaps on the highs.

Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    edited January 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this whole excercise is going to prove other than Ben stating his opinion. He could have just read about the caps and rolled dice for that matter.

True. But worthwhile at least reporting his findings. I am somewhat interested but to lazy to do the experiment myself. :p
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    I understand where you are coming from, but already they sound quite a bit better than the Solen's. I have about 30hrs on the Dayton's. I left Solen's in one speaker, and have the Dayton's in the other. The highs are very nice, and like I said the shimmer from the snare drum, and the cymbals is very nice. With the Dayton's the sustained sounds just fall off to quickly. This is not artifacts, but the recording sounding truer to life.

Are you saying, because of this, they are better than the Solens?

I'm alittle confused at which cap you find better. Dayton or Solen? And was the mids tested or the tweeters?
    Or am I missreading the whole thing? (which happens often):confused:
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• heiney9
    edited January 2008
    I'm not hating them. They are definitely better than stock, but Dayton's are better than Solen's for the same price. I would not have used them in all my speakers if I "hated" them. I will end up changing out my Solen's on my upgrades. I would like to at least use Sonicaps on the highs.

Ben

The post wasn't directed at you Ben, it was directed to anyone who says they suck, which is certainly a valid opinion but more rhetoric than actual valuable information.

H9
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    All caps suck and blow , right? Wax on Wax off...
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• ben62670
    edited January 2008
    I like the caps that come on rolls, and you can hit them with a hammer:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jakelm
    edited January 2008
    Sonicaps will be in my 7's and center channel soon, I can tell. Probably best for the Peerless tweeter anyway.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    Solen sucks. They should be ripped out of every component where they are found.
    :eek:Oh crap I'm using a 43uf Solen for DC protection on my tweets.How much will a 43uf Sonic cap cost me now that I must upgrade?:(
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    GV#27 wrote: »
    :eek:Oh crap I'm using a 43uf Solen for DC protection on my tweets.How much will a 43uf Sonic cap cost me now that I must upgrade?:(

43 or 4.3?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    43 or 4.3?
    Yes 43
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Yes 43

That is a huge cap for a tweeter! That would most likely put the XO around 1000hz!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited January 2008
    That is a huge cap for a tweeter!
    Yes it is let me explain.Im using an active crossover(xover point is 2k) and normally the output of the amplifier is directly conected to the driver.But if any DC offset where present it might destroy the tweeter.Therefore I use a large enough cap that will not have any effect on the slope of the crossover but will block any DC.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • F1nut
    edited January 2008
    You'd have to go with a 20 and 23 as Sonicap's largest is 30uF. Probably run $50-$60.

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    edited January 2008
    Yes it is let me explain.Im using an active crossover(xover point is 2k) and normally the output of the amplifier is directly conected to the driver.But if any DC offset where present it might destroy the tweeter.Therefore I use a large enough cap that will not have any effect on the slope of the crossover but will block any DC.

Thats smart thinking. with an 8ohm tweeter you could probably use a 20, and be happy with no adverse slope to the tweets. With a 4ohm tweeter you would have to run about 40 like you posted. keep in mind you may want to try a polarity sway to deal with the phase issue of a 6db sloped bass blocker;)
    Thanks
    Ben