Capacitor shootout

Options

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2009
    Options
    After having tried Solen, Dayton, Jantzen, Sonic Caps, Mundorf S/O, and Claritycap MR's, it's been a fun year.

I would say that they all have their place.

Solen may work well in a dull tweeter, otherwise they can be very harsh. Otherwise, I didn't find them tonally correct.

Dayton is a great budget cap. A little bit forward though, but not nearly as harsh as Solen.

Jantzen Cross Caps, IMO, they belong right in the garbage. I recently picked up a preamp that used them as coupling caps. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with the unit. Fortunately I swapped in something better before deciding to flip the unit. Top end was rolled off, very little dynamics, and everything was smeared. They might sound better in a speaker crossover, but I highly doubt it.

Sonic Caps, best of their price class. Very dynamic, smooth, and coherent. I wasn't too fond of them in my Tannoys, but everywhere else they sound fantastic.

Mundorf S/O, right out of the box I thought I was listening to Solens. After some break in, they smoothed out but remained detailed up top. Also very dynamic.

Claritycap MR's absolutely floored me. Very open, excellent separation, lower floor noise, more dynamic than the others, and tonally the most realistic. I'd love to use them in every component I own, but due to size and cost, that's not going to happen.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Claritycap MR's absolutely floored me. Very open, excellent separation, lower floor noise, more dynamic than the others, and tonally the most realistic. I'd love to use them in every component I own, but due to size and cost, that's not going to happen.

Face
    What value MR caps did you use? Just curious after seeing the pricing.
    I may ask this in a new thread but I will replace the two capacitors in my Anthem pre2L pre-amp. They are 2uF's so the cost won't break the bank. I am wondering if they are the way I should go?
  • Face
    edited January 2009
    Options
    So far, .89uf, 1.5uf, and 4.7uf, all used in speaker crossovers. I'm about to order two to three more pairs though. Speaking of, CapsandCoils.com carries values that Madisound doesn't, and even though they're overseas, they're cheaper.

As for deciding if it's worth it or not, it's up to you. How resolving is the piece of gear, do you plan on keeping it, etc... I plan on ordering a pair for the same application, the coupling caps on my new preamp. The other two pairs are for the HF circuit of a crossover.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • NJPOLKER
    edited January 2009
    Options
    My Anthem pre-amp is a keeper. If Doro or another member who's firmiliar with this application happens to read this could give me their opinion that will be great. I have no problem spending more on a pair of caps that will perform better in this application.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2009
    Options
    You need a pair of Sonicaps to the tune of $100 and around 2 hours work...that's it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Face
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Just curious Mark, have you tried Clarity MR's?
  • NJPOLKER
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Doro
    A pair of Sonicaps with a value of 2uF each is $7.65 each. Where do you come up with $100. Am I missing something?
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I just found this Thread, too cool. I was planing on redoing my with the Dayton caps, and Dayton audio grade wire wounds.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=37563&d=1231731589
    I was looking through all the brands you had mentioned.

I'll read this later when I get a chance.
    Later,
    Ted
  • Face
    edited April 2009
    Options
    image029.gif

They're on their way. :)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2009
    Options
    That looks like a photo shopped cell phone battery:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited April 2009
    Options
    hersheybar.jpg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Sorry, missed some questions but if it matters...

Face - No.

NJ - Dodd did the work and I used Platinums.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Sweet, Rich, and Creamy. Love it.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Face have you tried the Clarity PX, or SA caps? They are very competitive in price with SoniCaps.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Not yet, for my next budget build I plan on using either of those or Obbligato's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Face sent this to me earlier tonight, http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5679253-post170.html

I've used the Obbligato caps and really like them. To borrow from Tony Gee, they are very analog sounding. One has to be sure that the copper cases don't touch each other or any other metal surface. I used heavy duty shrink tubing on mine. Obbligato also offers a newer "Premium" version that doesn't use copper cases. Overall, a nice sounding cap for not a lot of money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Great info. Thanks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I will look into those for my next DIY pre. I do want to try the less expensive CC's in a speaker rebuild.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited May 2009
    Options
    These are going to be the next caps I try as I felt their Crosscaps were fine for the money and I've heard nothing but great reviews for Superiors. Plus, I hope to own them in that configuration as that is the XO for the Jantzen JA8008+TW034 TQWT kit. :D

JA8008_TW034_crossover_2_800pxw.jpg
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Very CLEAN!!! I love it:D
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • StephenEC
    StephenEC Posts: 57
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I used Obbligatto Film Caps in my Magnepan MGII cross over upgrade . It's been a year now, and I love my Maggie and their new Cross overs .

here's a link : http://www.diyhifisupply.com/?q=catalog/35/obbligatofilmoilcaps

Cheers, Stephen

here's a photo of the cross-over box and components
    102322778.oOTP6oq6.XOVERWBRASS.jpg
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I used Obbligato's copper's in my SDA2a's, the high pass. Even early on they sound nice. Since I had to piggyback them, 4.7uF and 6.8uF to get to 12uF it is important to insulate the caps so the outer shells don't touch. Prior to addressing this I heard static which was awful.
  • zingo
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The next pair of speakers I build, I'm going to build a little window for the XO like these Focals. I think it adds a pretty cool touch, especially if you use nice components.

1240627204.jpg
  • zingo
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I personally like this one; it's Jantzen's new toroidal 18mH C-Coil. It's being used in a first order XO for a pair of woofers.

DTQWT_bassXO_1.jpg
  • NJPOLKER
    edited May 2009
    Options
    http://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/claritycap/mr.php

I think these would look real cool thru those windows. I bet they sound nice too!
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    NJPOLKER wrote: »
    http://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/claritycap/mr.php

I think these would look real cool thru those windows. I bet they sound nice too!
    IMO, better than Duelund Copper VSF. They increased the size of my soundstage more than any other piece of gear.

Ben, I'd like to try the SA's soon too.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Ben, I'd like to try the SA's soon too.
    Me three.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I was looking at the cheaper ones. The only difference from what I can tell is the thickness of the insulation which gives the higher voltage rating.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Face
    edited May 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Me three.
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions.