My Big Effin' Cables!!

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If you think everything can be measured by an electronic device, you're in the wrong hobby there guy.

+1 on that.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    If you think you are hearing something other than the result of an electrical signal than you know nothing about this hobby.

Care to explain how you can hear something that nothing non-human can? Microphones are far, FAR more sensitive than the human ear, oscilliscopes are even more sensitive (after all, from the time your music leaves the cd/lp it is an electric signal until th voice coil)

I mean, if a microphone can't record it, you should never hear it on your recordings, no? :rolleyes:

BTW: John is far more correct than most give him credit for. I have noticed that the people who design speaker and electronic systems and recording engineers all agree with him far more than not.

Also, both of you need to work on reading comprehension as you BOTH missed the point, which actually proved mine... Interesting...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Thanks Snow. I wish I had an opinion on power cables. I am seriously considering a DIY power cable hard wired directly to my amp, and hard wiring all the caps together to bypass those silly flat steel busses that are inside my amps! I have been looking at Carol wire for the project. I think wiring directly to the innards is bet than adding 2 connectors for the IEC thing. More connectors is more problems!

Ben do you mean direct to the breaker, like a dedicated line specifically for your amp...or modifying the amp?

I have had good experiences with Carol 10/2 wire as both a dedicated line for my amp as well as power cords. Sadly the price of the 250ft spool went up pretty drastically over the last couple of years...more then 2x the price.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Basically, humans are flawed measuring devices
    This couldn't be more true.
    How many times have my friends "tuned" their cars and they claim "it's so much faster, must be another 15-20 horsepower, etc..". Then it runs slower than ever at the track.

As for the PC debate, I have no opinion. I changed the PC on my sub and haven't noticed a difference.

My next receiver allows the use of different PC. I'll probably give it a try.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Ben do you mean direct to the breaker, like a dedicated line specifically for your amp...or modifying the amp?

I have had good experiences with Carol 10/2 wire as both a dedicated line for my amp as well as power cords. Sadly the price of the 250ft spool went up pretty drastically over the last couple of years...more then 2x the price.

I have 4 20 amp circuits within 12' from each other. I was talking about upgrading the amps internal wire with point to point wiring. Also I don't really care for IEC connectors. Less connectors is always a better thing minus minor inconveniences. I too am looking at the Carol wire for power cables. I really don't know if 10 is really better than 12 for my present currant draw. Adcoms have very large caps to help with peaks, but I do know I like the idea of very good shielding to help cut down on noise transfered to IC's, and Speaker cables. I try to separate them as much as possible, but it is not easy with my setup. I really would like to put in a 100 amp sub panel. 80 would be ideal, but I am pretty sure they go from 60 to 100.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    If you think you are hearing something other than the result of an electrical signal than you know nothing about this hobby.

Care to explain how you can hear something that nothing non-human can? Microphones are far, FAR more sensitive than the human ear, oscilliscopes are even more sensitive (after all, from the time your music leaves the cd/lp it is an electric signal until th voice coil)

I mean, if a microphone can't record it, you should never hear it on your recordings, no? :rolleyes:

BTW: John is far more correct than most give him credit for. I have noticed that the people who design speaker and electronic systems and recording engineers all agree with him far more than not.

Also, both of you need to work on reading comprehension as you BOTH missed the point, which actually proved mine... Interesting...

Awe, crap. PARTY'S OVER fellas. He proved it. This is the end of the discussion. He's right. We can't hear any difference. Everybody can go home now. Go on, go home.....nothing left to see here.

Go on............move along..............keep walking............

I'm so ashamed.

:(
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007

I dunno JD.....K makes some valid points,but extends them thru the whole audio spectrum.By your logic,if speaker designers,recording engineers more times than not agreed with K,then we would all be listening to the same equipment useing the same speaker cables,no?Funny thing is,I bet if you went to these so called engineers homes,I think a ratshack cable will be far and few between.As the human ears go,yeah,we are flawed and audio comprehension differs wildly.Exactly why things don't sound the same to each of us.Regardless,these stupid cable debates bore the crap out of me and many others.The age old saying still applies,let your own ears be the judge.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gaara
    edited July 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have 4 20 amp circuits within 12' from each other. I was talking about upgrading the amps internal wire with point to point wiring. Also I don't really care for IEC connectors. Less connectors is always a better thing minus minor inconveniences. I too am looking at the Carol wire for power cables. I really don't know if 10 is really better than 12 for my present currant draw. Adcoms have very large caps to help with peaks, but I do know I like the idea of very good shielding to help cut down on noise transfered to IC's, and Speaker cables. I try to separate them as much as possible, but it is not easy with my setup. I really would like to put in a 100 amp sub panel. 80 would be ideal, but I am pretty sure they go from 60 to 100.

Damn more adventurous then me. This reminds me of Ric Schultz who used to hard wire components together in order to bypass the rca jacks. I am a fan of less is more, but have no real skill with a soldering iron so I have never tried any real modding. For internal wiring I see no reason to use 10, way overkill and it would be harder to work with.

I always wanted to try balanced power at the breaker. I forgot the brand but they used to do 40 and 50 amp panels with balanced power, I remember the transformer was massive....like 200lbs+.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    I forgot the brand but they used to do 40 and 50 amp panels with balanced power, I remember the transformer was massive....like 200lbs+.
    Sounds like that might be Eqitech?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    burp
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Gaara
    edited July 2007
    Good call GV, it was Equi=tech. Wow the lightest one is 285lbs and the heaviest is 514lbs, those are some heavy duty transformers in there.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Check out Torus Power, too. Same idea- designed to survive a couple thousand worst case lighting strikes and puts out balanced power as well. 'course a 100amp panel from them runs about $8500..
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Microphones are far, FAR more sensitive than the human ear, oscilliscopes are even more sensitive (after all, from the time your music leaves the cd/lp it is an electric signal until th voice coil)

Microphones are way too flawed to even come close to a comparison of human hearing. This is why we know a recording when we hear one.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Microphones are way too flawed to even come close to a comparison of human hearing. This is why we know a recording when we hear one.

madmax

Microphones are far superior to human hearing.

Can you hear a 2 db difference from 16,000 Hz to 20,000 Hz? A microphone can.

Can you play a pink noise track and tell the exact output of each 1/3 octave bands? A microphone can.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited July 2007
    I took the blue pill... so expensive cables don't matter to me ;)
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    Bamadude wrote: »
    I took the blue pill... so expensive cables don't matter to me ;)

This lady at my church confused her Valium with her birth control. She had 13 kids, but didn't care...:D
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If you think everything can be measured by an electronic device, you're in the wrong hobby there guy.

You know what Spock would say.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »

Can you play a pink noise track and tell the exact output of each 1/3 octave bands? A microphone can.

But it cant tell that Neal Peart simply kicks arss!!!

:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    But it cant tell that Neal Peart simply kicks arss!!!

:)

LOL! Got me on that one! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    This thread really needs some sort of award or something....
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • madmax
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »

I can hear variations that no equipment can measure. May not know what they are but I can hear them.
    madmax

• jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    Then how can these sounds be present if they can not be amplified, recorded, or reproduced? After all, an amplifier can only amplify what it measures. A CD or LP only records signals a microphone can measure. A speaker only reproduces the sound it can measure...

I mean, if you can hear things that a system able to measure at a resolution thousandth's of a volt and millionth's of an amp and thousandths of a db from 1Hz to 300khz, what are you hearing exactly?

A loudspeaker is the crudest measuring device in the chain, how is it the only one that can produce these results?

So where is this sound you hear coming from? I would seriously like to understand the logic of this.

Trietz: Grow up or go get laid, you've lost your grip.

Tonyb: Actually, most of them have monster for one reason only: The replacement policy. Kinda funny to see a person who has music and sound production as their livelihood using monster cable on $100K worth of electronics. Of course it all depends on who the guy is and what school of thought they prescribe to, can't say 100% don't believe but the ones I have talked to believe that beyond a certain point there is no difference and that point of no difference would be considered mid to low fi around these parts.

As far as John goes, most people imply what he does not say. Look at Trietz diatribe about SACD equaling dixie cups and a string. That's the moronic logic that people use when dealing with him: That if what he says at the high end is true, it must be just as true in the low end.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    How come I hear differences in cables?

RT1
  • madmax
    edited July 2007
    So where is this sound you hear coming from? I would seriously like to understand the logic of this.

Can you even imagine the amount of processing power it would take to pick out a given nuance of sound? (assuming the transmission of this nuance to the measuring equipment without changing it). And then the ability to tell you exactly what it is??

I'm not alone here. Why do you think it is that the top manufacturers rely on ear after doing all the computer design?

And yes, why can we tell any differences in any components?

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    This is all really moot. You're arguing human perception vs. science. Science can not measure or explain human perception, nor can science disprove that a perception exists or doesn't exist.

All humans perceive things differently, and they are not wrong for doing so. You can't hear what someone else hears, and shouldn't argue an opinion, perception, or try to discredit their perception with science. It goes nowhere and only causes frustration and long, nasty threads on internet forums.

So, pretty please with sugar on top... stop the @#$%ing cable debate!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    How come I hear differences in cables?

RT1

You're not it's all in your mind. Rip out all that cable, sell them, buy lamp cord. Copper is Copper that is all... ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• madmax
    edited July 2007
    I don't think its a perception issue. We could all perceive a different sound while still either hearing or not hearing differences when things change.

• jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Can you even imagine the amount of processing power it would take to pick out a given nuance of sound? (assuming the transmission of this nuance to the measuring equipment without changing it). And then the ability to tell you exactly what it is??

I'm not alone here. Why do you think it is that the top manufacturers rely on ear after doing all the computer design?

And yes, why can we tell any differences in any components?

It doesn't take much processing power at all to pull out every nuance of sound beyond the capabilities of a human to hear. This has been and is VERY easily proven. The reason the listen to it is to make sure it sounds good in the real worled, not to unlock some magical sound that they can't measure.

RT1: It can be real, or it can be imaginary, it doesn't matter as long as it's real to you. Up to a point, physics will show you that there is a difference and depending on your personal ability determines the scale of those physical changes that will affect the sound for you. Beyond the point it is psychological similar to a magician or fortune teller pulling their tricks. I have done this with one well known polkie here: Same exact cable, told him I switched it and to listen for the increased bass presence and clearer highs. He thought it was a night and day difference. You tell me, what did he hear? Was it not real to him?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    The music on a CD can be fully analyzed without the use of loudspeakers. All the various frequencies at their respective amplitudes can be seen at any given fraction of a second, the raw data doesn't change.

Then, your weak stereo screws it all up.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited July 2007
    Also, that pesky conversion of an 80GB sound file for a 3 minute song into the proper size for a CD. If the nuance is in the 30MB song, it should be more prevelent in the 80 GB one no? And you have all of that data in the master file....