My Big Effin' Cables!!

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Today, I changed out the power cable to my amp. The DCCA Extreme Reference cable arrived in a DVD box because it was so massive, it doesn't flex to fit in a smaller box. The damn thing weighs about 5 lbs.!! That's not an exaggeration. I was shocked at how huge this thing is. It literally took me 10 minutes to plug it in.

Then I played some music and immediately noticed more body. The power cord put into my music that last little bit of uummpphh! if ya know what I mean. This PC replaced a PS Audio Prelude. I wasn't expecting any significant differences -- I bought it mainly because it was something different and it was priced right (the newer, more pliable version is $650).

The first pic shows how much flex it has (virtually none).
The second pic shows the size compared to a light bulb.
The third & fourth pics show it plugged into my amp.

Compare the size of the cord with my speaker cables. (See pics of interconnects below...)
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Early B.
    edited July 2007
    Bought these interconnects for the same reason as the PC. Again, I didn't expect them to be this damn thick. In fact, they are as thick as a 12 ga. power cord.

The first pic compares them in size to my DH Labs Air Matrix cables which they replaced. The Air Matrix was reassigned to HT duty.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    My goodness.

I'm in the market for some cables, but that thing scares me (and I need some flexibility)
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    That is how I felt when I decided to grab some PS Audio XStream Plus Speaker cables off audiogon. From the picture, they looked pretty decent.

When I picked them up, they were in a pretty huge box, about the size of a CDPlayer or AVR box. Inside, a velvet bag, inside the velvet bag, two huge (like 1.5" thick diameter) speaker cables. Couldn't believe how thick they were.

Had a hell of a time getting them hooked up properly to my Thiel's and MF Integrated. They sound and look awesome. Hardly any flex, though, and so heavy, I worry they will eventually break off the speaker post of the MF, which are pretty considerable.

Did you already sell your old PCs? Looking for someone (downstream) to sell some cheap ones, maybe to upgrade to your PS audios.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    That is how I felt when I decided to grab some PS Audio XStream Plus Speaker cables off audiogon.

The XStream Plus is what I was using on my amp, but this cord is much, much thicker.

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    holy sheet! I saw the first picture and thought "these dont look big"... then I saw the lightbulb... holy hell those are huge.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    If your power cord was a snake, it could easily swallow that light bulb whole.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    So, "how do they sound?" is the question of the day. Congrat's Early.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2007
    I know what you mean Brad. I recently demoed a pair of Manitou Thunderbird PC's for my tube amps and was totally blown away. The differences were not subtle...the soundstage just got huge with them, not too mention how each note just had something special to it...also added a little warmth, and analog feel. It is amazing what a power cord can do.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    It is amazing what a power cord can do.

Absolutely. Power cords are as important as any other component. Don't skimp here, folks.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    Amen brother!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    If anyone tries to steal them you could beat them with um:D
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    I found out some more info on this cord that isn't on the DCCA web site. It is 6 gauge, multi-stranded copper wire with several different layers of insulation.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007
    A mans **** is only as big as his cables

Hope the wife is happy.......about the cables!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2007
    Nice!

Your new cable would make a good wife beater!:eek:
    Carl

• Early B.
    edited July 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    What do you do if your power cords are hard-wired to the amps, subwoofer, etc...?

Take the component to an electronics tech and get it outfitted with an IEC connector. It's an inexpensive tweak, but make sure it's a high quality amp you plan on keeping for a while.

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    What do you do if your power cords are hard-wired to the amps, subwoofer, etc...?

Leave it alone, and just "imagine" that you changed the cord. Same effect, but harder to fool yourself.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    I recognize that blue power cable. I have the same one (I think) but can't think of the name.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2007
    Lame. Hard wire Romex from the circuitbreaker directly into your gear, then we'll talk.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited July 2007
    I'm sure that really makes a huge difference after the 100's of feet of 14 ga unshielded copper wire in your house. ;)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I'm sure that really makes a huge difference after the 100's of feet of 14 ga unshielded copper wire in your house. ;)

Absolutely correct. They do make a huge difference after the 100's of feet of 14 ga unshielded copper wire in your house. :D
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    And we're off......
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    Hey, fellas --

Stop pissing in my thread. If you can't hear differences in power cords, then don't crap all over those who can.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Wow, those are some big **** cables! I'm not sure yet if it sounds "better," but this cord certainly sounds different, no doubt about it. The sound reminds me of what I liked about the Odyssey Stratos Extreme -- full body and gusto.

• zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    Good on ya...
    I've never understood why the detractors feel a need to crap on someone's gear.

I'd absolutely love to hear that PC in my set-up. I've been switching between a Zu Birth and a SignalCable MagicPower over the last couple of weeks...
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    You will not get the full benefit of the cable without one of these:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm

Read the reviews at the bottom, they hear differences too!:rolleyes:
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    Why the need to be such a troll William?
    Did you start this thread?

Go back to making and remaking and making and remaking your bed for the rest of the day. Then you can start counting each individual strand in your carpet. Don't lose count. You might just have to start over and there goes your day.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    Then you can start counting each individual strand in your carpet.

No need to count them. But I have found that if you bend each fiber at just the right angle, the difference in soundstage, dynamics, and pace can be truly amazing. It's a night and day difference!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. They do make a huge difference after the 100's of feet of 14 ga unshielded copper wire in your house. :D

+1 Max.

Nice Early, I dig it.

RT1
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    William.. it would be different if Early was starting a cable debate thread, but he's just sharing some new wares. Don't like it. Move on.

Start your own thread about how life is a sham wiggy wam wiggy wam. And then we'll ride that unicorn down the rainbow together tasting colors and whatnot.

Hey... I got a new Neon. Wanna crap on that too? Me and the wife just bought a house? Wanna hose it down?

Might not be up to your standards, but I don't imagine much is...
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    Hey... I got a new Neon. Wanna crap on that too? Me and the wife just bought a house? Wanna hose it down?

Might not be up to your standards, but I don't imagine much is...

What in the hell are you talking about? No one is crapping on his possesions, just his overactive imagination.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2007
    He believes he hears it, then he hears it. That's all the reality you need.

Sorry EB...
    I'm going to drop this before your thread completely goes down the crapper.

Back to the re-resheduled programming.