My Big Effin' Cables!!

Comments

• BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    be sure to don your steel-toe boots if you ever have to move your system components around. wouldn't wanna drop that fat cable on your big toe.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    How much does that PC weigh anyway? Curiosity is getting to me.

Also, was part of the reason (sound aside) that you made the change because of flexibility/room constraints?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited July 2007
    Felixibility of 1" per every 12" --- hahhahaha...

That might be a contributing factor...

Thing could move a 200 pound TV stand over a period of time if you had to force it.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    You read my mind.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    Felixibility of 1" per every 12" --- hahhahaha...

That might be a contributing factor...

Thing could move a 200 pound TV stand over a period of time if you had to force it.

It's EXTREMELY inflexible -- so much so that it creates too much tension on the metal plugs and they bend. That's probably what happened to the ground pin -- it broke off altogether. Needless to say they don't make these cords anymore.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Well just think, if you purchased a 12 foot cable... you could make a really big circle that would only go around in full once!

That thing is insane, for sure.

Reminds me of that monster speaker cable Jesse brought to Polkfest...

Looked like something that crawled out of a lake after 100 years... Massive massive cable.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    Empirical Data.

RT1
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    Yup.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2007
    oh yea Early I forgot.

DIBS!!!!!!!!!!!

RT1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    This is to Josh ---

You are a Polk employee, and you are not representing Polk very well. Actually, not very well at all. Keep that in mind when you post...

Explain please. Not once did I degrade anyone's gear or insult anyone. I just questioned the age old statement "My cables sound better than yours."

(BTW, I was done but I have to defend myself)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    It happens anytime you question their beliefs. Without any facts to back their claims, profanity and insults is all they have to argue with.

As far as facts go this thread is lame. The only facts stated were wrong. (except for mine of course :D )
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    This is to Josh ---

You are a Polk employee, and you are not representing Polk very well. Actually, not very well at all. Keep that in mind when you post...

Thats a load of crap!

He responds to a discussion with a logical statment but because he doesnt subscribe to the "golden ears" philosophy that somehow represents Polk poorly?

So if he responded with how he prefers the broad soundstage he gets from his Sears extension cord over the tighter bass from the Walmart cord, then he would be making Polk Audio proud?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    You have to understand...

I pretty much will label anyone as trolling that comes into a wire discussion and tries to prove to everyone wire cannot make a difference.

To me, Josh was trolling - nothing more or less. The person that posted the thread believes wire makes a difference, and obviously enjoys it. No one really cares why you think wire makes a difference when everyone saying congrats and cool most likely have heard it and agree they make a difference.

To me, to troll -- as a Polk employee is bad representation.

Now if Josh wants to start ANOTHER thread explaining why he thinks cables dont make a difference... which... will most likely get ignored or transform into what this thread has - thats entirely different.

This is like when I use to go in a RTixxx thread and tell people how much I thought they sucked. Thats trolling.

Anyways
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    I hear ya but the discussion was already under way. That aint trolling.

And again, this is a discussion forum. Coming into a thread talking about the magical qualities of a $60 extension cord and making a logical, factual statemtent to the contrary is NOT trolling.

Now coming in and saying "you wasted your money, youre a moron" is trolling. That didnt happen.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Just the way I saw it.

I bet there are 5,000,000 threads on the internet about why/how cables do not and can not make a difference. And in all of those threads, I think it is safe to say that everyone ends up saying the same exact thing.

Lets put it this way, there are dumber things to buy than cables. Magical clocks, cable risers, non reflective outlet covers... list goes on.

Yet people go out of their way to try to educate those that will invest money in the cabling of their system when their entire system cost 90% or more more --- makes sense to me.

No real reason to continue here. Brad came on here to share his new cables with us. And people still cant shut the hell up about why cables cant change the sound. Its not like he asked you.... @_@
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    That still doesn't make him a troll.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2007
    Empirical Data

RT1
  • VR3
    edited July 2007
    Nevermind.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    OK, I have a question since this thread is once again completely off topic.

Just how in the hell are the folks that know they can change, color, alter, destroy, improve sound stage, add noise, improve what can be heard or alter the tones supposed to learn?

When a person makes a post like this........SOME folks like to learn, or just plain would like to read the evaluation that the threadmaker has observed. Why, when we are on an AUDIO forum must the folks that want to learn, or at the very least add to the collective knowledge pool concerning cables, must we be subjected to the equivalent of 40 pages of reading for 1 page of learning.:mad:

"Belief" should not be part of the discussion.

I'll end this post with some words of a very wise man.

Empirical Data.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2007
    "...must we be subjected to the equivalent of 40 pages of reading for 1 page of learning."

Well, if everybody posted at least 11 times in the thread (like you did) with contributions like "Amen brother", you're going to do some reading to get to the meat of the thread.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    Do you feel better about yourself now George?

"Amen Brother" was a response as part of the discussion in responding to Early quoting "Absolutely. Power cords are as important as any other component. Don't skimp here, folks."

Should I have said "ditto", "what he said", "I agree", "absolutely" , "I concur".....all of them would have been appropriate and was part of the discussion / conversation that was taking place.

I have received Early's cables that this BAC has replaced. Why should I offer my contribution / evaluation now? This thread has taken a different turn once again, so why would I offer my contribution now, when it will all just get lost in the jungle?

I see I'm obviously still rubbing you the wrong way. Thank you, I was worried things had changed. I'm so sorry to have turned you off in joining in a conversation and not contributing in each and every post that I make.:rolleyes:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14424

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited July 2007
    I'm not taking either side but I am wondering if there are any scientific studies that one can read about this. I would think it would be pretty easy in todays computerized world to compare through software and graphs the difference in sound coming out of speakers when using different power or "monster cables"

Does anyone have a link to any studies one way or the other?
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
  • Polk user
    Polk user Posts: 311
    edited July 2007
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    Early beautiful cables... So please don't take this badly.

BUT WHY THE F$CK DO WE START THESE DEBATES???????????

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    Interesting. Any articles on power cables?

The article triez3 linked above is just manufacturers marketing crap, would you trust Bose white papers on the superiority of their speakers? Of course you can measure the difference in capacitance, resistance, etc. But there have been no studies that actually prove there is an audible difference. Studies and listening tests that have been done seem to prove just the opposite.

trietz3 claims he wants to learn, but only if that learning agrees with his opinion. How can you learn about the different sound of cables, when no one has even been able to prove they exist? As you said, it would be easy to do with today's tech if it existed.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Early beautiful cables... So please don't take this badly.

I didn't start it, but I'm wondering why folks are still posting stuff in this thread that doesn't belong here. Let it go peacefully to Polk's purgatory like every other old thread on this forum.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    Because people like WilliamM2 are steadfast and unwilling to go out and experience the cables people actually buy and experience. They would rather talk about things and give their observations based upon having no experience at all.

Just for you Willie...... Check out the Roger-Russel link, and you can choke your chicken to that report.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    They would rather talk about things and give their observations based upon having no experience at all.

You know little of my experience. I have been involved in Audio for over 30 years. I used to be a sucker like you, and believed in cables. I have listened to many different cables, and participated in DB tests, you are the one with no real experience.

Current cables? I have Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, Dayton, and Monoprice. They all sound the same.
    Check out the Roger-Russel link, and you can choke your chicken to that report.

More insults? Maybe you should read the link. Oh wait, I forgot, you don't believe you can learn anything unless it already agrees with your viewpoint.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    William, if you have these cables then you might have a weak link in your system that does not let the cables reveal themselves......OR, it is quite possible that you cannot hear audibly what others can hear. Not dogging you at this point, but have you ever entertained the thought of this?

Polkfest '04 had a test using a PC swap in a Jolida. Everybody there heard it, and the difference was not subtle. As I was saying before....bring your **** to Polkfest to where you CAN hear the difference. Otherwise, please stop interrupting conversations of folks that have a high enough resolution system to be able to recognize the differences that PC's make.

If you can't make it, refer to post 46 in this thread.

As for not reading things that don't agree with my opinion......first off, let me correct you, for it is not my opinion it is my observation. Secondly, I read quite a bit from all angles, however I do not post unless it is spoken from EXPERIENCE. The only time I "believe" what I read is when I experience it first hand myself.

If you do not believe, fine. Just stop trying to shove your lies down other people's throats. We know you don't "believe". We can accept that........what we can't accept is the fact that you seem to be the one person that starts these debates when the TOPIC of the thread was Early's new PC. The TOPIC of this thread is not you pushing your "belief".