My Big Effin' Cables!!

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Current cables? I have Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, Dayton, and Monoprice. They all sound the same.

I would expect all of these cables (except the higher end Audioquest) to sound the same, too. What do you expect? They're cheap cables.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2007
    Is it raining outside? :confused:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    From the Boston Audio Society..........

The ABX Comparator

Historically, it was an interest in tracking down the source of perceived differences in the playback chain that led to the construction (by David Clark and associates) of ABX boxes like the one Meyer was to demonstrate at this meeting. During the next portion of the evening he introduced the ABX box and played with it a bit to show how it worked. The system assembled for the meeting comprised an Apt preamp, Audio Dynamics power amp (Japanese, class AB, bipolar), the Allison 205 3-piece satellite/woofer system (lightly equalized with a dbx 10/20 to boost the low bass and help ameliorate a presence wrinkle), and an AR turntable fitted with a JH Formula Four arm and Stanton cartridge.

The ABX comparator switches between two sources. The box has three buttons on the remote and three LEDs on the front panel, labeled A, B, and X (hence the product name). There is another pair of buttons, labeled Down and Up, which change the numeric display on the unit. When the box is powered on, it generates 100 random assignments of X to either A or B, one for each possible displayed number on a two-digit readout (00 to 99). A Reset button on the main control unit returns the sequence to test number 01. Pushing A connects source A to the output, and likewise for button B. Pushing X connects the box-selected source, which is either A or B. Neither the operator of the box nor the listeners have any notion of which source is X until the answers are read out at the end of the test. This kind of test is called double-blind, as neither the tester nor the tested knows the answers.

I am curious as to why this test would be valid, since you are adding another circuit to the chain. If you add another component to the test, you invalidate the test as a whole. Not to mention, besides adding the ABX Comparator, they also add into the loop an EQ. That's two completely different circuits that are added before the test is even begun.

There is no mention of Xnsfrmr isolation, shielding or how this box and EQ affect the outcome from the source before the test even started.:confused:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    The box is simply a switching box. The material doesnt play thru it, it merely switches between rigs.

If the EQ'ing was present on both sources equally, it wouldnt make a difference.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoLk FaN
    PoLk FaN Posts: 81
    edited July 2007
    You will not get the full benefit of the cable without one of these:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina44.htm

Read the reviews at the bottom, they hear differences too!:rolleyes:

that was some funny ****
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Denon avr 1910
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Center- Polk Audio CS2 series II's
    Surrounds- Polk Audio Monitor 40 series II's
    Surround Backs Polk Audio Monitor 30
    Subs- Mirage S8 & Psw505
    T.V.- 46" Samsung lcd 120hz
    Blu-Ray- 60 GB PS3
    HD Dvd-Toshiba HD-A3
    Xbox 360- O town killer81
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I would expect all of these cables (except the higher end Audioquest) to sound the same, too. What do you expect? They're cheap cables.

And there in lies the problem.Lots of people want to compare cables in the same price catagory,and don't get why they don't hear a difference.Boggles my mind every nay sayer will do this.Experience is the best teacher,so until you can get your ears on some good quality cables,your opinion means squat.Thats directed at William,not you Early.:)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't call Josh a troll. That seems a little insulting. He does have a wealth of people around him to learn from. Ask Matt sometime how simple cables are... :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Josh a troll. That seems a little insulting. He does have a wealth of people around him to learn from. Ask Matt sometime how simple cables are... :)
    madmax

Agreed, he can't work somewhere a have an opinion :rolleyes:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited July 2007
    I'm now a huge believer that cables do make a difference. Especially power cables and power conditioners.

The other day I replaced the power cable on my fridge and wow, my beer has never been so cold and I think it actually tasted better than before as well. Then I hooked up a power conditioner to that cord and not only is my food fresher, I am so pumped because I never have to buy baking soda again.

I then hooked up a new power cable to my vacuum cleaner, and I don't know what it is but that vacuum can suck an ancient virus out of the sea now. I hooked up a power conditioner to the vacuum and now I don't have to by carpet fresh now either. Those power conditioners are really a money saver.

Then I replaced the power cable to my washer and now my whites are the whitest ever and colours don't run anymore.

You know, I used to believe in logic and empirical data before, but how can I after those revelations. Thanks again guys for changing my attitude.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited July 2007
    MGPK wrote: »
    I'm now a huge believer that cables do make a difference. Especially power cables and power conditioners.

The other day I replaced the power cable on my fridge and wow, my beer has never been so cold and I think it actually tasted better than before as well. Then I hooked up a power conditioner to that cord and not only is my food fresher, I am so pumped because I never have to buy baking soda again.

I then hooked up a new power cable to my vacuum cleaner, and I don't know what it is but that vacuum can suck an ancient virus out of the sea now. I hooked up a power conditioner to the vacuum and now I don't have to by carpet fresh now either. Those power conditioners are really a money saver.

Then I replaced the power cable to my washer and now my whites are the whitest ever and colours don't run anymore.

You know, I used to believe in logic and empirical data before, but how can I after those revelations. Thanks again guys for changing my attitude.
    Great another Bozo with verbal diarrhea. If different power cords interconnects what have you dont work for you fine, But please if you have absolutley nothing to contribute here shut the FU*K up and go away.

There may be any number of reasons why trying a different power cord or interconnect does not yield the same results for everyone. your amp may not be able to reveal the difference as well as someone elses, your hearing may not be as good as someone elses. who knows why some hear more of a difference than others? the possibilties are endless. Give it a break allready with the because it didnt work for me it wont work for anyone else attitude.:rolleyes:

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited July 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Polkfest '04 had a test using a PC swap in a Jolida. Everybody there heard it, and the difference was not subtle. As I was saying before....bring your **** to Polkfest to where you CAN hear the difference. Otherwise, please stop interrupting conversations of folks that have a high enough resolution system to be able to recognize the differences that PC's make.

It was that day cables made me a believer, the geek in me what'd to take it apart to see what makes that tick. The fact it was running though 14/2 to an outlet, and just that cable made such a difference it was short of amazing to all how heard it. I know a cable can make a difference and a bit sad when someone never heard the difference a cable can make...

But on the other hand his or hers bank account may look better then ours given the fact we believers will spend $$$ finding that sound... :cool:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    William, if you have these cables then you might have a weak link in your system

Ahh, "your system isn't good enough" to hear it argument. Was wondering how long before that would pop up.
    Polkfest '04 had a test using a PC swap in a Jolida. Everybody there heard it, and the difference was not subtle. As I was saying before....bring your **** to Polkfest to where you CAN hear the difference.

Don't you mean "see" the difference, since everyone saw the cables...
    Otherwise, please stop interrupting conversations of folks that have a high enough resolution system to be able to recognize the differences that PC's make.

There you go again, trying to tell me where and when I can post. Give it up already.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    I would expect all of these cables (except the higher end Audioquest) to sound the same, too.

That's odd, I have read many posts here from other members claiming that Blue Jeans or Audioquest improved their sound. I guess they were imagining it.

The cables we listened to at a dealers in a blind comparison. were much more expensive.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    Great another Bozo with verbal diarrhea.

Great, another member who thinks no one is entitled to post an opinion, if it doesn't agree with their own.
    There may be any number of reasons why trying a different power cord or interconnect does not yield the same results for everyone.

Actually, there is only one reason - Lack of imagination.
  • snow
    edited July 2007
    Great, another member who thinks no one is entitled to post an opinion, if it doesn't agree with their own.

Actually, there is only one reason - Lack of imagination.
    I never said he was not entiltled to his opinion did I? Everyone here is. He wasnt making an oppinion, he was doing what your doing right now running his BIG MOUTH for no good reason. If he had said I tried an expensive power cord and it didndt make any difference that I could hear that would be different, but instead he chose to make a smartass comment is all.

If you dont agree with what I believe fine, But dont tell me that I do not hear what I do because thats plain stupid.

Perhaps power cords do not make a difference to you fine. Im not trying to convince you otherwise.

If I said that You should hear a difference and your wrong because you dont, then I would be doing the same thing you are wouldndt I?

Grow up get a life.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited July 2007
    MGPK wrote: »

I am not going to jump into the cable debate, but found these comments amusing because of personal experiences.

A manger at the store I used to work at was actually so mindwashed by Monster that he would not vacuum plugging the vacuum into the wall. He always wanted it plugged into a line conditioner because he felt it worked better that way and was quieter. He actually used to show customers how it changed the vacuum, and then told them about all the benefits it would do for their HT.

One of the reasons I quit was because I refused to sell these. Sales guys were pitching the dryer ones as they would reduce the amount of time it took to dry your clothes, dyed them better without burning them, and some even said they had surge protectors built in. There were honestly a bunch of salespeople who thought your appliances would run much better with upgraded power cords.

Just thought you guys would like to know.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2, not only is your audiophile card revoked so is your ability to read and comprehend card. Please, just shut the F*%K up with your horsepucky.

I have witnessed donkey's that have more smarts than you.

Your **** is getting VERY old.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    treitz,
    Why the constant need to use profanity? That is the true sign of a lack of intelligence.
    Please, just shut the F*%K up with your horsepucky.

If you don't like my posts, don't respond to them. Me? I'll post what I want, no need for your permission.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    intelligence.

That says it all.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    I see you had to edit. You corrected in time.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    So you've never typo'ed? How impressive.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    This is a test......This is a test of the emergency broadcast system........This is a emergency that will not be followed by a test tone.........

So, you "Non Believers".........would you say that SACD sounds the same as redbook?

Cd's sound the same as LP's?

LP's sound the same as 8-track?

8-track sounds the same as 2 dixie cups and a string?

This concludes the test of the Emergency Broadcast System. In the event of a future emergency, apply lipstick to your ears in the hopes of attracting the sound of high fidelity.
  • snow
    edited July 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Hey Early, I'm sorry I don't believe it, Have you opened up your equipment and checked out the gauge of the wire that is soldered from the IEC Chassis mount connector?

I'd figure it's 10 gauge at the most, most likely 12 or 14. So you added 2 feet of 6 gauge wire and it sounds amazing?

If it was that easy don't you think that the manufacturer would have 6 gauge powercords?, and maybe all of their internal wiring would be 6 gauge?

I think it's in your head. You need to fool yourself into thinking you a hear a difference because you just spent 600 bucks on the powercord. If it cost 15 bucks do you think it would sound the same?

Las
    I think it will make a difference allright Las. Not sure if for myself if it would be $600.00 worth though.

I think Hearing impaired has a PS cord that he bought maybe borrow his or go over and compare cords to see if you can detect any audible change.

Pretty much everything I have ever done audiowise has made a difference not all of it has been positive though but I certainly could tell a difference.

REGARDS SNOW
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2007
    Anyone want my opinion?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • snow
    edited July 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Anyone want my opinion?
    Why not? :D
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    snow wrote: »
    Why not? :D

Thanks Snow. I wish I had an opinion on power cables. I am seriously considering a DIY power cable hard wired directly to my amp, and hard wiring all the caps together to bypass those silly flat steel busses that are inside my amps! I have been looking at Carol wire for the project. I think wiring directly to the innards is bet than adding 2 connectors for the IEC thing. More connectors is more problems!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    HIlarious thread. Especially Trietz's non-sequiters...

Absolutely hilarious...

Me, I'll side on the same side as centuries of metalurgical studies, decades of accoustic and electrial studies, and several millenia of phsychological studies versus claimed opinions of comprimised individuals. Basically, humans are flawed measuring devices and if the signal out is the same in all cases tested then they will all sound the same.

Please notice that I did not say that they do or do not make a difference...

Those of you who think "tone" can be transfered and produced by some other method beyond electrical signals, please seek help. If an oscilliscope can't see it, there is no way you can hear it.

BTW, I have had my hearing checked last August and was acutally surprised to find that my hearing is better than 99% of the populations.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    If you think everything can be measured by an electronic device, you're in the wrong hobby there guy.
  • ben62670
    edited July 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    HIlarious thread. Especially Trietz's non-sequiters...

Absolutely hilarious...

Me, I'll side on the same side as centuries of metalurgical studies, decades of accoustic and electrial studies, and several millenia of phsychological studies versus claimed opinions of comprimised individuals. Basically, humans are flawed measuring devices and if the signal out is the same in all cases tested then they will all sound the same.

Please notice that I did not say that they do or do not make a difference...

Those of you who think "tone" can be transfered and produced by some other method beyond electrical signals, please seek help. If an oscilliscope can't see it, there is no way you can hear it.

BTW, I have had my hearing checked last August and was acutally surprised to find that my hearing is better than 99% of the populations.

JohnK has been reincarnated:eek:
    Sorry John:p I could not resist. To each his own. I wish I couldn't hear a difference:( It can get expensive getting nice cables.
    Thanks
    Ben