My Big Effin' Cables!!

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    Hey Early, you think it sounds good now, just wait until it burns in!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Hey Early, I can't find anything about the multilayer insulation on the website- got a link?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2007
    I have to chime in. If a cable shows 0 ohms resistance vs. another cable that shows 0 ohms resistance, how is one cable going to induce "sound processing" over the other. That is to say, how will you hear something in the music that wasn't there before (stage width, freq response)by just changing wire?

It has been proven in A/B tests that if you have the same input signal, same power supply voltage, and same output voltage you cannot hear or measure a difference. The only thing a bigger power wire will do is handle more power over a given length without getting hot.

In conclusion, if you want your wires to be impressive and look nice, that's great. Just don't say they "add" to the music which is scientifically impossible.
  • madmax
    edited July 2007
    Josh wrote: »
    In conclusion, if you want your wires to be impressive and look nice, that's great. Just don't say they "add" to the music which is scientifically impossible.

Capacitance, inductance, impedence, noise rejection... Lots more to it than that "0" on an ohm meter.
    madmax

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2007
    Impedence is measured in ohms. There are no capacitors in cables and I mentioned inductance by having a cable too long that is not thick enough. Noise rejection is another touchy matter. I've used cable brand "A" that was $150 for a one meter cable and had noise. I switched out for a $2.50 bulk cable and the noise went away.

The only one you mentioned that would actually affect "sound" would be the noise. Interference is pretty simple. It's either there or it isn't. For the others to affect sound, there would have to be extremes. Like connecting a sub to the amp using 22 gauge speaker wire. When the wire cannot handle the power going through it, it heats up creating resistance thus affecting the sound.

This subject has been argued to death and I guess there are enough consumers that believe that cables help sound or that one optical cable is better than another even though it's just 1's and 0's. Otherwise "you know who" would be out of business.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    I'm sure that really makes a huge difference after the 100's of feet of 14 ga unshielded copper wire in your house. ;)

BTW, true dat.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2007
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Hey Early, I can't find anything about the multilayer insulation on the website- got a link?

I took a chance and bought these after reading all of the great reviews on audiogon. There's no info on the web site about the specs, so I e-mailed the owner. I usually don't buy stuff without knowing exactly what I'm buying, but in this case, I decided to roll the dice. Glad I did. I'm shocked.

Max -- this is a used cable and a lot of mileage was put on it, so it should be burned in pretty good.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    I have to chime in. If a cable shows 0 ohms resistance vs. another cable that shows 0 ohms resistance, how is one cable going to induce "sound processing" over the other. That is to say, how will you hear something in the music that wasn't there before (stage width, freq response)by just changing wire?

It has been proven in A/B tests that if you have the same input signal, same power supply voltage, and same output voltage you cannot hear or measure a difference. The only thing a bigger power wire will do is handle more power over a given length without getting hot.

Josh - you're crappin' on us by being too ANAL-lytical. Get off the pot.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    I took a chance and bought these after reading all of the great reviews on audiogon. There's no info on the web site about the specs, so I e-mailed the owner.

So what'd he say? I guess I'm confused by "insulation" vs shielding...
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • madmax
    edited July 2007
    Impedence is measured in ohms. There are no capacitors in cables and I mentioned inductance by having a cable too long that is not thick enough.

Not so. Resistance is measured in ohms. Impedence is calculated. There are capacitors and inductors all along the cable, you just can't see them. Having a cable that is too long and not thick enough is not related to inductance in any mannor.
    madmax

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2007
    +1 Max, like big butts/I like big cable and I cannot lie. OK I like some skinny cables too.

RTsirmixalot1
  • madmax
    edited July 2007
    Everybody say yo...
    madmax

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited July 2007
    A little note to those that do not believe that cords do not make a difference.

1. Clean your ears out with a drill.
    2. Then use gas and denatured alcohol and 200 Q-tips to finish the job.
    3. Then go get your ears checked out by a "real" Doctor.
    4. Post results as to what you can hear audibly.
    5. Stop busting into threads talking smack.
    6. It's annoying and you are adding nothing to the knowledge pool.
    7. If you don't "believe", then you haven't experienced it yet.
    8. Until you get your asses to a Polkfest to where you CAN experience it...

SHUT THE **** UP!

Your ignorance is too much to bear and your input is useless.

That said, start your own damn thread if you want to respond. We are having a conversation here in which you are not welcome.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2007
    This has gotten SOOOOOOO old!!!

Congrats Early.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2007
    Whatever.I'm done. Like I said this has been argued to death and everyone has their own opinion.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, I wasn't trying to start a knock-down, profanity ridden, insult throwing, argument. I was just having a little fun because I know there is always controversy.

I'm sure having this kinda cable does make an improvement over a standard 14 ga cheapie computer cord, but somewhere along the line, you guys have to admit, there is a diminishing return on these tweaks. I actually thought about trying some of the more affordable ones out a while back, but never got around to converting my pre-amp and CD players to IEC connectors and then my son came along and my priorities have shifted a little.

To me, my money and time has been better spent on improving the internal components with a soldering iron. A few blackgates in the right spot in the pre and CD, total crossover rebuild on my speakers, replaced some marginal caps in my amp, and now things are coming around.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    I apologize for my bluntness. This is Early's thread, and some of us that know they make a difference may want to look back on this thread for reference 4 years down the line. Maybe some of you NB's will want to as well. What a pain in the rear it is to read all the negative/NB responses.

The last thread about this subject had 10% real discussion to where folks that are interested could learn, I]or at least, openly entertain the thought[/I and 90% useless discussion for those seeking knowledge. What a waste of time!

Back to the discussion at hand.......Early, what kind of insulating layers did the new cable have when you found the additional information?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Back to the discussion at hand.......Early, what kind of insulating layers did the new cable have when you found the additional information?

I have no idea. The e-mail response from the owner was very vague.

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited July 2007
    I guess one of these days I'm going to have to wire up the IEC connectors on my Carver amps so I can try this for myself. That's the only way I'll ever give an honest opinion of something is if I can see and hear it for myself and not base it on speculation. I would be eager to see (er...hear) the difference. If I can't hear it, I'll just go to the typical PC cords. If I can, chalk one up for an upgrade! I can do it on my Integra or Sunfire A/V receiver but I don't think I'd hear the difference in that set up as much as I may in a 2-channel set up where my ears are a little more discerning.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2007
    Whatever.I'm done. Like I said this has been argued to death and everyone has their own opinion.

Yeah, the laws of physics and scientific tests are totally lost on members of a cult. Theyre not interested in differing opinions and since logic, science and basic physics are not on their side, they get pissed off and emotional in response.
    treitz3 wrote:
    A little note to those that do not believe that cords do not make a difference.

1. Clean your ears out with a drill.
    2. Then use gas and denatured alcohol and 200 Q-tips to finish the job.
    3. Then go get your ears checked out by a "real" Doctor.
    4. Post results as to what you can hear audibly.
    5. Stop busting into threads talking smack.
    6. It's annoying and you are adding nothing to the knowledge pool.
    7. If you don't "believe", then you haven't experienced it yet.
    8. Until you get your asses to a Polkfest to where you CAN experience it...

SHUT THE **** UP!

Your ignorance is too much to bear and your input is useless.

That said, start your own damn thread if you want to respond. We are having a conversation here in which you are not welcome.

Need I say more?

I say its your money and your rig and buy what makes you happy and good on ya. But if somebody started a thread talking about how they would love to go to the moon so they could find out what kind of cheese its made of, it should come as no suprise that some dissenting opinions get posted. This is a DISCUSSION forum - not an ONLY AGREEING POSTS ALLOWED forum.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited July 2007
    Well,I just received one of Early B's culls today...a PC Audio Prelude...I'm happy as a pig in ****:D

I'm a believer,have been for quite some time.

BTW,after seeing your new stuff,I'm suffering from p.c. envey...
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    This is a DISCUSSION forum - not an ONLY AGREEING POSTS ALLOWED forum.
    I agree that this is a discussion forum, but this is Early B's THREAD. Why do you feel the need to piss on it?
  • treitz3
    edited July 2007
    Mike, so did I. I'd post my results, but why? this thread is apparently going to be one of the threads where 90% arguing and 10% learning. So, for those that want to learn............."I too am happy as a pig in ****". That's all you get.

Now a note from some NB's................
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    Change of plans --

I did some critical listening tonight and replaced the "big **** cord" (BAC) with a PS Audio Prelude. The BAC had its strengths, especially in the bass department, but there were some trade-offs in tone that I really enjoyed from the Preludes. So since the BAC has an abundance of bass, it was placed on subwoofer amp duty. Can't wait to crank it up when we watch "300" next week. :)

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited July 2007
    Hey guys, I wasn't trying to start a knock-down, profanity ridden, insult throwing, argument.

It happens anytime you question their beliefs. Without any facts to back their claims, profanity and insults is all they have to argue with.
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    I agree that this is a discussion forum, but this is Early B's THREAD.

This is a public forum, it's not Early's thread. And quit trying to tell people when and what they can post, it's weak.
  • Early B.
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    This is a public forum, it's not Early's thread. And quit trying to tell people when and what they can post, it's weak.

Let's get it straight, this is my thread, and when you're in my thread, you abide by my rules or I'll put you out of the house!!:D

Seriously, the issue is posting stuff that goes off topic. That's rude. It's kinda like interrupting a group of people who are having a conversation and interjecting a totally different discussion.

• treitz3
    edited July 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    This is a public forum, it's not Early's thread.
    I see you don't have the ability to respect people's threads. If memory serves, this thread was fine until post #18 or #19.

I'm not asking that you "believe" what is posted, but why do you and others come in and trash a thread......even though it is public?

Would you do it on the Tasteful Babe Thread?..............I thought so.

So, why would you do it here, when this is after all a Audio site. For audiophiles, threads like this ARE the Tasteful Babe Thread.

You Dig?
  • WilliamM2
    edited July 2007
    I see you don't have the ability to respect people's threads. If memory serves, this thread was fine until post #18 or #19.

Actually, it was fine until post #46, where you decided to start using profanity and suggest people do bodily harm to themselves. Speaking of respecting the forum, maybe you need to read the rules.
    You Dig?

Yeah, I dig. You only want posts that agree with your opinion. Good luck with that here, and at other forums you may frequent.:rolleyes:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited July 2007
    Those are some huge wires...

I think post like this is interesting, I've heard differences in cables. I have yet to convince myself that aftermarket cables above regular aftermarket cables make that much difference. Maybe one day.

But I do have to say this ---

This is to Josh ---

You are a Polk employee, and you are not representing Polk very well. Actually, not very well at all. Keep that in mind when you post...

Anyways, congrats.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.