Am I an A@@hole?

Comments

• SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited February 2007
    What I really find ironic. Women have a real good idea what men want. They also have an idea what we are capable of doing to get to the end goal. What is sad they keep there wants clouded to us and get upset when we don't meet their expectations. I'm not just talking about D day....ooopppsss V day...L:)

Just in general. Where would you like to eat tonight...What bedroom furniture...A. B. C. this weekend what do you think...

These are generalizations and my not apply to all..But at some point all women suffer from this...
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2007
    MrNightly wrote:
    I tried the whole hotel room and "set-up" the first year of marriage as a surprise, and she literally turned up her nose at the whole affair, because I forgot to bring her toothbrush and pillow. I had flowers, gifts, candles, her favorite love songs burned onto a CD playing, and a $400 dollar room. It was the worst night of our marriage. And that's saying something :(

If this is true...you've got issues that go way deeper than any single Valentines Day.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2007
    The Mrs. was looking over my shoulder while I read this. She says you are!!!
    She feels you should of at least made the reservation ahead of time- not
    taking the time to do it meant it wasn't important to you.
    I am in this sort of trouble all the time. :confused:
    I am a wing it kind of guy. She plans crap out months ahead.
    I don't know how I've stayed married for 25 years.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I woke up early and cooked a small breakfast, woke her up with some balloons and flowers on the bed. Thats all I got her, and she was happy. I planned on the balloons and flowers, but i didnt eat the night before and woke up starving and knew she would like it if i did some BS like that

IMO, you effed up. If she gives you 3-weeks notice and all you can come up with is dinner, then thats on you. I'm not saying I would have done much better, but im also a firm believer in make-up sex:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2007
    i voted NO. you did what you could.. and it didn't all work out as planned.. but dang.. romance doesn't have to have a big fat price tag on it.. maybe she would have rather gone to a monster truck show or something. :rolleyes:

Let it go.. if she doesn't speak to you for a couple hours or days.. go crank up the rig and do some serious listening instead.

good luck.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited February 2007
    Bottom line: ALL women are ****, just to varying degrees.

I got lucky with mine. Every year she gets a 1/2 day trip to a very nice, local spa and a card, and every year I get a card and the chance to pick out a nice gift between 100-200$.

We have a pretty good agreement going :) I still haven't cashed in, so I might push for a new denon dvd player to match my new receiver.

Nah, I don't think you F'd up, but you may want to do b-day, Christmas and next year's V-Day a little more hardcore.....
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    IMO, you effed up. If she gives you 3-weeks notice and all you can come up with is dinner, then thats on you.
    Good point. I think I agree.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2007
    I am having post V-day depression as I type this....

I made reservation to a swanky Japanese restaurant and we had an excellent meal. Nice atmosphere and good food, with techno music softly playing (through Bose 301 monitors) against a backdrop of bamboos and other patrons dressed in their chic-est clothes. After the meal, we walked around the neighborhood, talked and checked out all the (closed) shops....

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of ordering flowers through Hallmark.com and the flowers are nothing like their pictures depicted. They just came in a giant cardboard boxes and the recipiant had to put together the flowers and the vase. I was expecting a vaseful of red roses delivered....not a giant brown cardboard box.

Then there was the Swarovski crystal collar pin that I purchased for her. She told me she didn't want to put pin holes through her clothes, so we will have to go exchange the pin for something else. I figured since I had never purchased a pin for her, this would be nice. I guess I made a mistake there too.

There was other issues....but I'd rather not bored you guys with the details. In the end, I didn't think I did a good job....choosing the wrong gift and getting the Hello Kitty doll (another gift) in the wrong color. She told me it was OK and appreciated my efforts, but I still feel bad.

Back to the original question....I voted "no", but you should've at least purchased some sexy lingerie (for your wife :D ) to get her in the mood.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2007
    jflail2 wrote:
    but you may want to do b-day, Christmas and next year's V-Day a little more hardcore.....

Don't forget anniversaries....
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited February 2007
    I voted Yes because of the lack of reservations. One of the most important things I have found about the women I take out is that they want to feel important and special. When we walk into a restuarant, they expect reservations to be waiting. They do not want to be sitting there watching others be led to their seats. She wants to be the one that gets led to her seat while seeing the others wait.

Finally the biggest mistake is telling her what you would have done. Telling her that you are not going to a particular restuarant because the wait is too long for you or telling her that you are not going ice skating because the weather is too cold for you, shows that you are thinking about your comforts and not hers, at least in her mind. She then equates the whole night with you doing what you want and not what she would like.

Hey, I am not saying whether it is right or wrong. I am just saying that the above things are what has reared their ugly heads at me a few times. :)
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    This whole thread is very amusing. I voted no. I think you should go over to your wife get as close as possible to her, put your face as close as she will allow you, hold her hand and looking her straight in eye without blinking say, "honey l love you very, very much, more than anything in this whole world, I'm so sorry about last night and will try to be more in tuned with what you want from this point forward." Then try to softly kiss her.

If that doesn't work. . . I don't know. . . but,

My wife and I did absolutely nothing on V-day. The night before after putting my son to bed, we stayed up very late and watched a movie, then had some extra, extra ciricular activities and went to sleep. We woke up said happy v-day to each other and went about our business for the rest of the day. Last night we held hands while listening to music, kissed a few times then went to bed.

All in all we both got what we wanted and no-one was under any pressure.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited February 2007
    I voted no, because im married and have dealt with some of that also.

I would say just plan ahead for next year, maybe McD's value menu and a 3 dollar off certificate for the next circus that comes through town. :D

Would make this valentines look great in hindsight.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited February 2007
    Again, **** Valentine's Day! Negatives Seem To Outweigh The Positives. I Think More Relationships Are Ruined By It VS Bettered.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    exalted512 wrote:
    IMO, you effed up. If she gives you 3-weeks notice and all you can come up with is dinner, then thats on you. I'm not saying I would have done much better, but im also a firm believer in make-up sex:D
    -Cody

But see, that's my problem. I told her that I believed V-day should be between both people, and both sides should partake in the activities planning.

Ah hell, who am I fooling...

I will try HearingImpared's suggestions... What the heck...

Here's to this weekend passing quickly...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2007
    The wife got me a card. I got the wife a card and brought home dinner from a regional Mexican fast food place. We went to bed early, and slept.

We were both happy, but we've been together for 22 yrs.

And I think V-day sucks, because of most womens unrealistic expectations.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2007
    I see nothing really romantic with steaks. That seems more of a guy thing. No put down, just saying... And no reservation seems more like a normal sort of meal. I bet she's thinking something "different" and "special" would have been reasonable. Couldn't you have hired a small jazz quartet to play lightly in the backround while you enjoyed a nice expensive meal prepared in front of you? Couldn't you have done all this in a small little get away type retreat in your favorite villa? Doesn't she deserve at least that much?? Well? :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2007
    I'm guessing that you didn't get a BJ when you got home?
    Carl

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited February 2007
    I suffered through years of anniversary, birthday, and valentines hell.
    About four years ago, I went and bought her a set of nice ear rings.
    I then started getting her the nice stuff for all these days. She came back last year and told me she had more than enough jewelry, Just get her some
    flowers. Yesterday, it was nice wine and import chocolate.
    Guess she finally decided the simple stuff was okay. Good thing ,too
    The heart pendant I bought the XMAS before that cost more than anything
    audio I've ever bought. More than the whole 2 channel rig!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited February 2007
    madmax wrote:
    I see nothing really romantic with steaks. That seems more of a guy thing. No put down, just saying... And no reservation seems more like a normal sort of meal. I bet she's thinking something "different" and "special" would have been reasonable. Couldn't you have hired a small jazz quartet to play lightly in the backround while you enjoyed a nice expensive meal prepared in front of you? Couldn't you have done all this in a small little get away type retreat in your favorite villa? Doesn't she deserve at least that much?? Well? :)
    madmax

He would have had to sell a Manley Steelhead to afford that one there brother!:p
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2007
    Forget 3 weeks notice, you were screwed at "I do".......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited February 2007
    First, you have her slide into a plush limo where a beautiful bouquet of roses, a box of chocolates and a little something from the jewelers awaits her.

Second, the limo delivers you to board a private jet where within you enjoy a bottle of champagne while en route to Pairs for a romantic, candlelit dinner at the Restaurant Le C
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
    There is no point even asking. Your wisest course of action is to admit you are a jerk and apologize profusely. What difference does it make who's right? If you "win" you are just going to lose big time. How long have you been married?
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited February 2007
    BIZILL wrote:
    instead of reading sweet nothings to her, will she allow you to read to her a steamy romance novel?

or better yet...have you two sat down and discussed your differences? perhaps ways to overcome them?

your not married , are you ?

Mr. N..
    I thought I was the only one that had to deal with this kind of thing..!!

I haven`t read the whole thread yet, but my advise is...

Tell her to get over it...it is what it is, and if she was really a romantic, she would have thought a dinner and a night together without the kids was a great thing...

believe me nothing you could have done would have been good enough...she set you up to fail, knowing you would and then could brow beat you into kissing her but to make it all better..

Make her wash your car/bike....

just my two
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • pblanc
    pblanc Posts: 261
    edited February 2007
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited February 2007
    pblanc wrote:
    By the way, it may be worth while taking this simple test: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=ahtest.
    You should also check out: http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/are_you_a_certi.html, and http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/26190375.html, and http://jult.net/****.htm. Don't feel so bad about it, you are not alone. Join the club here: http://members.tripod.com/~pnowak/rshole.html.

That cracked me up big time. Thanks man!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like a women who "feels she's missing something"
    You can a) tell her to stop her bitchin'
    b) go to the jewelry store & spend some money. Then beat her home, get rid of the kids and COOK her a romantic meal yourself.
    Option a will keep your pride but b will get you laid.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2007
    ...ummmm, that would be rose "petals", not pedals:p :p:D:D

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited February 2007
    The biggest mistake was the reservations, dude, the one must. Steaks were fine, though. Your wife wanted to feel special and gave you the time to set it up and it didn't happen. I agree that things should be planned together but I get the feeling that she wanted a night where you handled everything. Sometimes women are like that. Apologize for it and move on. I didn't see that you said how long you've been married. It actually gets easier as you go but relationships are never a total walk in the park.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2007
    I said no. If that is the whole story it sounds like a fine day to me.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited February 2007
    Damm after reading this I am so happy to be single. I voted no by the way.