Georgia Polkfest 07 Official Thread

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited October 2007
    Ted should revive the energy savings thread and post his electric bill after this weekend :)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    I think Ted next "Electric bill" will even scare Ted.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2007
    I thought the Amazing MK IV's with the MF KW SACD player and the Rega 25 vinyl rig was outstanding. Some of Joe's vinyl left me with goose bumps and skid marks. But I also really enjoyed the SDA IC's with Jesse's modified Jolida and the Manley Stringray. I could get used to that setup real easy.

Trey's Tyler's sounded terrific!!! They were imaging like a ****.
    On Saturday, a pair of sub's were added to the Tyler setup to enhance the low end a little. The result was outstanding. BB King never sounded better.

The HT room frightened me. "Master and Commander", "War of the Worlds" I'm going to be having nightmares. Kudos to Polk for the new in wall LCI's and those sub's were blowing holes right through me.

Great stuff! A tremendous opportuity to listen to high quality gear with first class people!

I loved it!

Carl
    Carl

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited October 2007
    Oh you arent kidding --

Once we got about about 4 or 5 feet farther back from the Tylers... everything just opened up....

The staging for them was expansive... was easilly 20 ft wide, with full height of the room used for most sequences... totally amazing...

Best I have ever heard them sound from a noise floor and seperation stand point...

And yes the HT rig is absolutely... horrifying. HAHA

The Amazings, oh so smooth...

I could never get myself involved with the Manley rig though...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2007
    Looks & sounds like a great time was had by all and that it what it's all about :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Hell yeah. I'm just going to sit back and wait for the report / details. That Frogmore stew looks tasty!

Ted, if you need help setting up a system showcase id email or pm me and we will get the ball rolling.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2007
    Let me see if I can dig out any more teasers till the showcase is put up -
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2007
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2007
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I landed at 2:15pm in Newark NJ, Went food shopping and just finished up some dinner. So I am home, resting, long fun weekend!.

Here's some pics that I took just before I left Saturday Night.

Here's a Video: http://38.161.195.8/Bob-Marley-on-the-Amazings.avi

hey RUSS, WAKE UP! PF07 is over now!!! :p:p:p He slept right thru it huh? ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    WOW.....looks like a GREAT time was had by all (especially Abernathy).

Can't wait to hear all the stories!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited October 2007
    Just checking in.

Michael, Joe and I arrived back at my house a little while ago, Joe should be arriving home shortly.

Great friends, music and food. The Woodshed rig is stellar, the all new Polk HT gear is really sweet and the all tube Manley set up was really special. I enjoyed at all.

A BIG thanks to Ted and family for another Polkfest blow out, BRAVO!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2007
    My first polkfest. Janice(my wife) really got in to it. Everyone was so kind and very hospitable,,.Ted's home theater is not for the "faint of heart",it will literally blow you out of the chair.The woodshed rig,,,just find a seat,,cause you'll be there for some time.Sal,, thanks for the cd,,listened to it all the way back to Atlanta :) The amazings made it back just fine,,pic's later.The manley/1C rig with Jesse's modded Jolida(IIRC) was just stellar,he certainly "set the bar up a couple notches)".To all of you that I met,words cannot describe your kindness,my wife and I were overwhelmed,to say the least.If any of you are ever on the "fence" about attending one of these---GO---the knowledge and education alone are worth it. Many thanks to Ted,his wife,and sons,,,hey,, where else can you get a meatball sandwich at midnight. God bless you all.

A quick pic of the manley/Jolida/1C rig---
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2007
    Hey I took a short nap, having your first beer at noon and hitting the bed at the hotel around 5 am, we old folks need a nap.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Let me see if I can dig out any more teasers till the showcase is put up -

Sid --

On the third pic, what are you guys doing to that Taylo?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2007
    Trying to make it actually sound good?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    :eek: :D:D:D Ouch.:D

Looks like a blast. I'm glad everyone had a great time!
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Trying to make it actually sound good?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Sid --

It seems there was a Polkfest "Gremlin" causing much havoc on Friday. Something (no clue as to what) caused the solder to melt and separate on the Taylos, disabling the tweeter.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • VR3
    edited October 2007
    Yeah --

When we first plugged up the rig in the den... there was something going on where the tweeters would cut out of any speaker we plugged up to it...

We swapped ICs, power cables, speakers cables, sources, speakers, amps, preamps, we swapped oxygen supplies to the room and we still couldnt figure it out...

We still are not sure - but we think the Dodd preamps just didnt like the MIT cables...

But anyways, basically you plugged the speakers in, the tweeters would work, then cut out. I think the SDA's poly switches would switch, then after a bit would turn back on - hence the on and off problem we were having.

We plugged the Taylos in, they worked for a bit - then stopped working... was very worried about what had happened. So we took them up stairs, opened them up, turns out the positive connection to the tweeter network became desoldered... lol

Was an interesting couple hours...
  • VR3
    edited October 2007
    I see the systme showcase isnt up yet --

So how about some more teasers?
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited October 2007
    Looks like everyone had a great time.

I really wanted to be there.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2007
    Ok so what's up with the upside down picture of #5?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited October 2007
    haha... I saw someone taking a picture behind me - my camera was on and thought Id try to catch them - I missed :(;)
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    Belive it or not...there was actually lots of stuff to do besides, A/V, eat, drink, etc...

I spent Thusday afternoon on the beach at Jekyll Island, Friday morning playing golf on Jekyll (27 holes), had a great seafood lunch there, and spent the afternoon touring the historic district. Saturaday morning I went to the Lighthouse on St. Simons Island, went to the Maritime Museum and spent a litttle time on the beach. There was still LOTS of time for listening, viewing, eating, DRINKING, BS'ing,etc... Here are a few pics of the "other" stuff to do at Polkfest GA:

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited October 2007
    And a couple more....

• VR3
    edited October 2007
    Hmm - few more randoms
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    I see the systme showcase isnt up yet --

So how about some more teasers?

what exactly were you smokin' Trey at PF07? some ahem, interesting pictures of well.. nothing. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    edited October 2007
    you gotta remember -

I have like... everyones pictures. ;)

So Im wading through and finding every picture of nothing! hahahaha :)

Let me see what else I can find!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    It was truly an honor to host this year's fest. I was touched by the felllowship and commaradarie of the Club Members.

Many thanks to my family, friends, Polk HQ and the membership in whole, without whom it simply never would of happened. Although there are many things left to see, hear and say, here are a few RT1 Random Thoughts:

The curse continues.........Host for 08 beware
    The Polk Nation Rocks........
    There is an easy button.......useful against the curse....take note
    Nearly 500 photo's to go through......please be patient
    Polk HQ is great, many kudo's to Al, Monica, and Mark........
    Russ A. will sip a few beers........
    TLW was missed.......so was FA........ahhhhh images.....
    The Furetech Flattner will Flatten records and other things.....
    We found another Polk Chick who digs the music and the Fest....hint...Janis Joplin and Charlie Daniels......dance on Janice
    Oh yea.....did I mention Club Polk Rocks.......

Most of all, I wish to Thank the people who committed the time, cash and thought to come and spend this short time with us. Several of our new members stepped up in a very large way at their first Fest. My family will long remember the Fest and great time we all had. Even the young hotty chicks the boys brought around told me us old guys simply Rock.......p.s. they think we have many Franklins.......hehehehehe

Finally for now, the attending members really touched me with their deep generosity during the Githen's Center charity raffle won by JanMike. We blew past last year's donation to the Githen's Center, So I am Throwing the Gauntlet Down for next year's host, I am sure as a collective group will touch the lives of the children at the Center, with our gift in loving memory of Tiffany Grand. I will be passing along the donation to George in the amount of 650.00. The Power of Club Polk goes far past audio.

Thank you to everyone, as I said in the beginning it was an honor and I was most happy to spend time with all my brohams, you guys can roll and this Club Rocks.

RT1
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    edited October 2007
    Early B. wrote:
    We had to operate a little bit. T.D. at the beginning of PF 2007. All was well for the duration of PF and the operation was a complete success. If I told you anymore, I'd have to kill you. Top secret stuff here. :D:p:D

Polkfest was a smashing success this go around [my first one] and could not have been hosted by a better person or person(s). Thanks to ol' RT1's entire family for helping to make PF such a blast to attend.

Much to say about Polkfest. I don't even know where to begin. Thanks to Polk headquarters for sending down Monica and Mark, what a wealth of knowledge. Al Ballard (VP of Marketing) came as well, but had to split due to an emergency on the homefront. He was there the first night, but unfortunately I did not get a chance to introduce myself to him because I was listening to all the great formats and rigs going. [More to follow on that note].

Food was awesome, the folks were great, knowledge was abound, good times in every room, outstanding comradery, and enough alcohol to get pretty darn ripped. Hearing Impaired told me that one eye [me] was pointed in one direction and the other one was pointed in another. He didn't know where to stand to where I could look at him. hehehe, I guess that's what ten hours of drankin' and good times will do to a man. :D

Anyhoo, when I have the time I will give a better breakdown of what went on at this year's Polkfest, but for now, all I have to say is to all that didn't attend, start saving $$$ so that you can attend next year's PF. I can tell you that with all of the gear that was there, I saved probably over 10K just because I now know what I don't want, and I now know what I do want and I don't have to blow the dough to purchase things I was interested in and have now had a chance to audition. Too cool. Come for the good times, come for the chance to put a face with the screenames, come for the education, come for the party, come to meet some high rollers from Polk corporate, most of all COME!!! Don't miss the next one.

I look forward to seeing all of you again at next year's gathering, as the pleasure was mine [this year] being able to meet a lot of the fine folks that are part of what makes this forum so great.

P.S. SHHhhhh........You didn't hear it from me, but next year we might have a chance to listen to a certain Mr. Matthew Polks rig in his house. Not to mention good things are on the horizon within the next couple of years at Polk. Stay tuned.....
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~