Chicago Polkfest???

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
Joey has been asking about this lately. For some odd reason he wants to put me in charge of it. So, here we go...

We need someone to host a Chicago Polkfest.

Anyone unaware I am in a wheelchair? Well, now ya know! ;)

IMO, SCompRacer has the best acoustics and, for me, accessibility. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, he isn't able to play host to a large group of Polkies.

I'd love to have a get together but my house 'aint gonna work.

I'd prefer it to be "close" to Chicago, say within 45 - 60 min. It isn't all about me though :o

Anyone want to host a Chicago area AUDIO / POLKFEST now's the time to step up to the plate. How about SPRING / SUMMER '07?
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'm in an apartment.....no can do here.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Bloomington is far.... but it's worth it to meet Polkies. If no one else is closer, I suppose Bloomington it is!

Do I bring Summits?

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Alright... this has to be in the Summer and somewhere during my 2 week off stint... yes, that's the ONLY summer I'm getting nowadays! Stupid med school...

Anyway, I will bring the Summits and the Plinius and whatever preamp I end up with at that time... still looking at the $4K Cary Audio SLP-98 preamp as the crown jewel of my system....mmmmMMMMmmmmmMMmm.... Cary tubes.....

Joey

Unless someone can host this closer for everone...

My neighbors are going to really hate me!:D
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I'd be interesting in coming as well! I live in a condo and don't have a whole lot of extra room, or would offer to host.

Would be great to meet some more Polkies!
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Options
    A_Mattison,

Where is Roscoe, IL?

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Less than five hours drive to Chicago or Bloomington.......I'm in for this one...have already missed two gatherings :(

I've drove through Bloomington to Eureka twice already to pick up SDA's....meeting polkies is a better reason to do it :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Sweetness.... we are getting somewhere.

:)

Soon, we should make a list of the gear!

Joey
  • Lowell_M
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    A_Mattison,

Where is Roscoe, IL?

Joey

Roscoe is just north of Rockford, IL.

I only live a few miles from Heiney9. I know that H9 is interested in a get together as well...even a mini-fest to do some listening at someone's house. H9 and DKG999 were over at my house last weekend. We had a great time.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Lowell_M
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ive seen the posts about Polk-fests, but not really understood what takes place... Do different people bring their super-cool or unique gear to listen to and hand out, drink a few beers, etc..)? (that is what it sounds like....sounds good to me)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Options
    a_mattison wrote:
    Roscoe is just north of Rockford, IL.

I only live a few miles from Heiney9. I know that H9 is interested in a get together as well...even a mini-fest to do some listening at someone's house. H9 and DKG999 were over at my house last weekend. We had a great time.

Then that means I live about 30 minutes east of you... atleast my home home is 30 minutes away from you. I'm right on 90, right by the Prime Outlets of Huntley, IL when you're headed east to Chicago (where my apartment is).

That means that H9 isnt too far from me either.. wow... so many polkies.

Joey
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Yep I'm on the NE side of Rockford just off the tollway I-90 (Riverside exit). I'd certainly be a participant (depending on the date not around July 4th) and I'd certainly help organize, but I would not be able to host such an event. Seems like there is some solid interest and it's good to get the wheels rolling early.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    2 hours is a lot of seat time for me but I should be able to attend. I call the couch for pressure relief ;):)

Need to organize travel plans - especially if you want to "caravan" to Bloomington. People + gear + a wheelchair fills a vehicle fast. I don't have a vehicle large enough to handle my gear and my chair at the same time.

Mike - you have a pm.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Guys, at the present time it's my understanding that Anthony is hosting Polkfest '07 in southern NJ probably in September, so may I suggest the spring for the Chicago Polkfest. That way they will be spread out a little more and perhaps more folks would attend both. I know I'd consider coming up in the spring. Also, you should consider talking with Troy about what it takes to host one of these as he has it down to a fine science.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited November 2006
    Options
    I would also hit it in the spring but summer is too close to the already planned Polkfest '07 in September. Coincidence that these are around the time of Oktoberfest? I've never been to Club Med but have enjoyed two Club Polkfest's. My point is that for those of us that are not local, it takes time and money to drive or fly. You can still hold it in the summertime but as F1nut suggests, less people will be able to attend.
    Ive seen the posts about Polk-fests, but not really understood what takes place... Do different people bring their super-cool or unique gear to listen to and hand out, drink a few beers, etc..)? (that is what it sounds like....sounds good to me)

Yes.

Search "Polkfest" and "Texas Polk Gathering"
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/index.php

Download issue 14 (right side of the page)
    http://www.polkaudio.com/education/newspaper.php
  • heiney9
    edited November 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Guys, at the present time it's my understanding that Anthony is hosting Polkfest '07 in southern NJ probably in September, so may I suggest the spring for the Chicago Polkfest. That way they will be spread out a little more and perhaps more folks would attend both. I know I'd consider coming up in the spring. Also, you should consider talking with Troy about what it takes to host one of these as he has it down to a fine science.

Very good point!! I really am going to make an effort to attend PF "07 so spreading them out is sound idea. Perhaps end of March or early April is more appropriate.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Also I don't picture this being on the grand scale that a traditional PF usually is. In my mind it would be a one day event. Certainly any and all are invited to attend, but I don't see it being a whole weekend thing. But then again I'm just thinking out loud. But I think it's still a good idea to keep some distance between this and Anthony's shindig. Since I'm local for this I'll go along wiith whatever is decided.

H9
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Just know that it's harder for me to go to CFest on a spring day than it is on a summer day. I have a huge superblock clinical rotation in the springtime... but who knows.

JOey
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    Options
    As far as being an 'official' PF...yeah, probably want to spread those out.

However, smaller, regional get togethers...why not? So, you don't get the Polk swag, but, so what?

Hosting is easy, got food? got gear? got booze? Easy.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Halo-

You have a PM. I'm still trying to figure one thing out for you and it might be a problem?:o Otherwise, getting into my house and deck will not be an issue.

I'll have food, beer, and whatever everyone else wants to bring with them. I have a large grill and I'll have a kegerater for everone.:)

Mike
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    McLoki-

Where the heck are you??:mad: You better chime in here and tell me you plan on coming, you have no excuse being a half hour away damnit!!:D :p

Also... I will have overnight accommodations for a couple if interested? Sorry guys but I only have a 4 bedroom house, and the rest are taken!:) In any case... If you booze to much I will always have room in the backyard!!:D :D

Mike
  • heiney9
    edited November 2006
    Options
    So far MikeC78 you sound like the viable person to hold this. I'm familiar with Bloomington as I went to school there so it would be fun to visit the old stomping ground. Plus for me it's only about 2 hour or so drive which it just about right. Works for me.

H9
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited November 2006
    Options
    MikeC78 wrote:
    McLoki-

Where the heck are you??:mad: You better chime in here and tell me you plan on coming, you have no excuse being a half hour away damnit!!:D :p

Also... I will have overnight accommodations for a couple if interested? Sorry guys but I only have a 4 bedroom house, and the rest are taken!:) In any case... If you booze to much I will always have room in the backyard!!:D :D

Mike

Of course - I am all over this... I will be there.

I can bring the CinePro and whatever else anyone is interested in seeing. (NAD T163 preamp, Naked LSi7's, etc.) I also have a rough set of SDA 1b's that could make the trip...

If accomodations are needed, we may be able to help out as well. :)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    OK Mike - I'm down. I'll have to rent a minivan to accomodate my gear, my chair, and whichever person I bring with me - probably my brother maybe my wife (Any other wives going to be in attendance?).

April or May would be really good for me. June or July would work for me also.

I'm open so let's nail down a specific weekend, that way people can start clearing their schedules and make travel arrangements. This is going to be fun!
  • Lowell_M
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Halo wrote:
    OK Mike - I'm down. I'll have to rent a minivan to accomodate my gear, my chair, and whichever person I bring with me - probably my brother maybe my wife (Any other wives going to be in attendance?).

My wife will probably come. She is really getting into this hobby as well.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    Guys, at the present time it's my understanding that Anthony is hosting Polkfest '07 in southern NJ probably in September, so may I suggest the spring for the Chicago Polkfest. That way they will be spread out a little more and perhaps more folks would attend both. I know I'd consider coming up in the spring.
    Thanks Jesse :)
    F1nut wrote:
    Also, you should consider talking with Troy about what it takes to host one of these as he has it down to a fine science.
    I'm on it ;)
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    So far MikeC78 you sound like the viable person to hold this. I'm familiar with Bloomington as I went to school there so it would be fun to visit the old stomping ground. Plus for me it's only about 2 hour or so drive which it just about right. Works for me.

H9

:D Good old memories for you!!

I'm sure you know Veteran's quite well?? If you keep driving on Veteran's south toward the mall keep going unit you hit E. Oakland. You'll be making a left on Oakland if you are heading south, keep going until you come to "Old farm Rd, Old Farm Subdivison" on your right. When you make your right, drive about 2-3 blocks my house will be on your right hand side. PM me for exact address.

Thanks HTrookie!:)

Mike
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    McLoki wrote:
    Of course - I am all over this... I will be there.

I can bring the CinePro and whatever else anyone is interested in seeing. (NAD T163 preamp, Naked LSi7's, etc.) I also have a rough set of SDA 1b's that could make the trip...

If accomodations are needed, we may be able to help out as well. :)

Michael

:D Yeah!!!

I'd love to hear the Cinepro hooked to some 15's! However, I could always hear them anytime? That puppy sure puts out a ton of power!:eek:

Mike
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Options
    OK folks, for those of youse interested in attending:
    MikeC78 wrote:
    I think some people have this "gathering" a little mixed up with Polkfest 07'?

This Chicago get togther is really just made for a small crowd as I don't have the accomodations for a very large group. I'll try to host as many as possible, but I think I could probably only house about 10-15 human beings? My house is roughly 2700 sqft total with basement. Not including the deck where people can hang out. Just an FYI...

Mike
    How bout we call it Chicagofest '07 to alleviate any confusion between the two upcoming gatherings?
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    FYI...

Let's not get this gathering confused with a gigantic Polkfest from all over the US. This is the Chicago Polkfest(gathering), as I have limited room in my house. Roughly 15 mature human beings.;)

I planned on this event to be a "one nighter" maybe two if some are interested in staying the night in a hotel. I have roughly a 2700 sq ft house, not including the backyard and deck which I don't think to many of us want to hang outside with all the gear inside.;)

If someone has a bigger and better idea, please let us know? I'm more than happy to host this at my place, just have a limited area to do so.

Mike:)
  • MikeC78
    edited November 2006
    Options
    Ok Halo, you beat me to it! :)

Thanks...