here is a very good page on expensive cables. check it out.

killerb
killerb Posts: 390
edited April 2 in Clubhouse Archives
kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
Morel Elate 6 front stage
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    A very good page? Why, because you buy into the idea that cables don't make a difference? Theory is one thing, actually listening with your own ears is reality. Zed Audio isn't living in reality. In fact, why don't you delete that pile of misinformation.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited November 2006
    For all you "non-believers" it is quite simple to have your question answered whether cables make a difference or not (and free too - always a good thing). The next time you have a couple of hours to yourself go to one of your local hi-fi places (not the big electronic stores) and have them swap different interconnects and wire for you. As long as you show an interest in the products they will probably oblige. I am sure they will even let you try things in your own system and return them if you feel it wasn't significant enough to make the purchase.

Give it a shot you have nothing to lose except a couple of hours ( and money when you hear something you like).

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    killerb, I'm curious as to why after 80 of your 81 posts in the car audio section you decided to post the above in the Clubhouse. Do you even have a home stereo?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited November 2006
    There does seem to be some bad info on that site. The arrow on signal cables is there to distiguish which end of the connector the shield is attached to (the opposite side the arrow is pointing towards) it has nothing to do with which way the signal will "flow" better. Its just trying to return any noise picked up back to the source and away from the amplifiers where it could bleed into the signal to the speakers. This is pretty common practice and will only make a difference if there is noise coming into the signal cable from the enviorment and it makes it all the way to the signal on the way to the speakers. But this is better to have then to not have.

But I agree on the skinning effect. At such low freq you won't notice it. Besides the only way to reduce skinning that I'm aware of is very thin strands of wire, each with its own insulator. skinning still happens, but since the electrons can't jump from strand to strand and head for the outer most stands of copper, you end up with more area carring electrons. Not sure you can even buy these cables as they would be really expensive, but I've never looked at the ultra high end cables either. Way to much money, for at best, very little gain in my opinion and gain most humans probably can't detect. And since I don't have that much money, I never want to find out I'm wrong because then I'll want them. But I doubt I'm wrong, but anything is possible.

Howie

Probably should have kept my mouth shut, but I'm working on 3 hours of sleep :-(
  • killerb
    edited November 2006
    i have been in the audio hobby for over 20 years and work in the electronics industry. dont get upset. i do have a car audio and a home audio system. i wasnt saying i agree with the page i was mearly posting some info from a very respected audio designer. he knows more than you and i combined. so you can agree or disagree, makes me know difference. also posting on this site is not a validation of the amount of knowledge you have on a subject. read it if you want and take what you can from it. its information, maybe you should spend less time on polkaudio.com and more time exploring other forms of knowledge. open your mind.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • killerb
    edited November 2006
    howie is right. skin effect has no effect in the audio freq. bandwith.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • killerb
    edited November 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    A very good page? Why, because you buy into the idea that cables don't make a difference? Theory is one thing, actually listening with your own ears is reality. Zed Audio isn't living in reality. In fact, why don't you delete that pile of misinformation.

the reason you want it deleted is probably because you dont understand it.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited November 2006
    I just don't understand why this seems to be such an emotional issue to some people, regardless on which side they stand.

If you think that you can hear a difference, then that's your prerogative. And if you think that you can't, that's also your prerogative as well.

Either way, why care so much about what others think?:confused:
  • killerb
    edited November 2006
    your right. i was just posting the page for information's sake. i didnt say i agreed or disagreed. i do know steve mantz is one the most talented audio designers on the planet.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    Go easy on him guys. He's new here and this is the first time he's ventured out of the car audio side. Be gentle. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    killerb wrote:
    the reason you want it deleted is probably because you dont understand it.

You would be incorrect. I've been in audio for 36 years and understand it perfectly well. That is why I asked you to delete it because it is MISINFORMATION.

Open mind??? You should suggest that to Steve Mantz, obviously he's clueless on this matter.

President of Club Polk

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    It's funny how the subject of cables is so good at bunching panties in rear ends on this fourm. It's like an automatic wedgie.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    :D ROFLOL!!! Yup a whole lot of uptight people when it comes to cable discussions! Hysterical!:D
    MSALLA wrote:
    It's funny how the subject of cables is so good at bunching panties in rear ends on this fourm. It's like an automatic wedgie.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    I mean really, who cares? Go get your listen on, have fun.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    MSALLA wrote:

LOL, Love it.

KillerB, I think you need to spend more time reading then posting. You could learn a lot. Very few of us are in the camp of cables don't do a thing for you.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2006
    I'm totally going to start making up noob ID's and post about how cables don't matter just to watch F1 loose his **** everytime.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    Well there unc, allow me......... First, it's lose, not loose. Second, I never "lose" my ****. Nothing on here makes me mad, quite the opposite. If you take things here personally, you're in the wrong place.

Anyway, I find a lot of the ignorant and misinformed posts entertaining, to say the least. Those that I don't find entertaining, I find to be somewhat sad. I may choose to voice my opinon on some of these matters simply because I enjoy being the voice of the counterpoint view. It's fun and a form of mental exercise, if you will.

So, there you have it. You've read me entirely wrong, but I'm not surprised.

Edit: Like Russman says, "Go get your listen on, have fun."

President of Club Polk

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited November 2006
    I'm more of a material kind of guy. Give me very nice materials, and the actual design of the cable will probably only contribute small minority to the sound, assuming it's at least a sound, basicly engineered design.

I haven't been convinced that anyone makes better copper than AQ, so I bought AQ, regardless of the design.

Silver, I have no clue.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    i dont think cables make a difference at all, wire is wire. But I dont doubt that the connectors make a difference. There is a slight difference with impedance and such, but any half **** company can get it close enough to right that it doesnt matter. Especially in car audio, i buy cables according to shielding and quality of the connectors, it stops about right there.

Do I think theres a difference between $50 interconnects and $500 interconnects? Of course, is it audible? Hell no.

Burn in? Jesus christ...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    Cables make a HUGE difference, that can't be measured. :confused::D

Rock on
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    Do I think theres a difference between $50 interconnects and $500 interconnects? Of course, is it audible? Hell no.

Burn in? Jesus christ...
    -Cody

See now, that is entertaining because I know he's never tried $500.00 IC's. :)

President of Club Polk

• exalted512
    edited November 2006
    would you like to put money on that?
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    Sure. You take a pic of them with your wife holding them by tomorrow noon and you've got a bet.

President of Club Polk

• exalted512
    edited November 2006
    dont have em anymore. A guy came into our shop with them in his car on his mcintosh amps, they were made by impact acoustics. We took all his equipment out of his car to go into a surburban, the interconnects were too short so he gave em to me if i installed his equipment for free. 3 sets. Made no difference from the $100 streetwires interconnects i had. Sold all 3 for $400 to a friend and bought myself an alarm for the truck, put the streetwires back in the truck.
    -Cody
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited November 2006
    yep, cables dont make a diference. any difference I have heard was mearly a figment of my imagination, because others said so. eeeeeesh. whatever
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2006
    I'd say cable debates on this forum are more tense than the recent evolution thread.:rolleyes:
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    Cody, ah shucks. I thought we were talking about home audio.

President of Club Polk

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited November 2006
    High end cables is like a sci-fi movie. If you want to believe in it, so be it.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    Sure. You take a pic of them with your wife holding them by tomorrow noon and you've got a bet.

Now this is getting entertaining for all of us. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• killerb
    edited November 2006
    money is better spent on things that we actually listen to like quality speakers and the amps that drive them.
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub