here is a very good page on expensive cables. check it out.

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2006
    Then you have short changed your self with Walmart Wire.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2006
    no, i just dont buy wire that i could have purchased a walmart with.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    Fine, we know where everyone stands.....let's beat another dead horse.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited November 2006
    your right, im out.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited November 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    Fine, we know where everyone stands.....let's beat another dead horse.

BDT

Do you think better wire would leave deeper cuts in the horse?:D

So I'm not just posting a wise **** comment, I do buy decent IC's (I have no preference to any brand) but I like to make my own speaker wire. I think they sound good and I have fun building them. I do use good 12ga shielded wire and banana clips.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    Well there unc, allow me......... First, it's lose, not loose. Second, I never "lose" my ****.

Ahhh, the typo police. The last refuge of the message board warrior. You're absolutly right, I mean to say "lose his ****"... but did you stop to consider that "loose his ****" could refer to the explosive spew of written diarrhea we can expect everytime cables come up?
    F1nut wrote:
    Anyway, I find a lot of the ignorant and misinformed posts entertaining, to say the least. Those that I don't find entertaining, I find to be somewhat sad. I may choose to voice my opinon on some of these matters simply because I enjoy being the voice of the counterpoint view. It's fun and a form of mental exercise, if you will.

Seriously, if you're gonna throw down the gauntlet of proof asking for photos of a guy's wife with $500 cables, you can't play it off like this whole cable thing is just a "mental exercise" to you.

I dunno, maybe you could convince me otherwise by finding a cable debate thread with more than about 10 posts where you don't participate. Or maybe one where you have something more to offer than "cables matter, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong." If that's your idea of a mental exercise, you need to work out more.

There are a lot of reasons why cable do matter and a lot of entry points for newbies to hear this for themselves. Please, pick up your game, put those 36 years of audio experience to good use.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2006
    Damn. ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited November 2006
    Come on Jesse...post it man....post it. You know what I mean. ;)
    No excuses!
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited November 2006
    And here comes the STFU picture... Thanks. :rolleyes:
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • MSALLA
    edited November 2006
    F1nut did leave this link http://www.mitcables.com/publications.asp on another post that I asked about. It's very informative. I don't buy when people just say anything is better just because. This link did have some real information on it.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    unc2701 wrote:
    Ahhh, the typo police. The last refuge of the message board warrior. You're absolutly right, I mean to say "lose his ****"... but did you stop to consider that "loose his ****" could refer to the explosive spew of written diarrhea we can expect everytime cables come up?

Actually, I kinda thought you had the corner on written diarrhea.

unc2701 wrote:
    Seriously, if you're gonna throw down the gauntlet of proof asking for photos of a guy's wife with $500 cables, you can't play it off like this whole cable thing is just a "mental exercise" to you.

You missed that one entirely. However, DisneyJoe got it.
    unc2701 wrote:
    I dunno, maybe you could convince me otherwise by finding a cable debate thread with more than about 10 posts where you don't participate. Or maybe one where you have something more to offer than "cables matter, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong." If that's your idea of a mental exercise, you need to work out more.

I'm not here to convince YOU of anything, why should I be? :rolleyes:
    unc2701 wrote:
    There are a lot of reasons why cable do matter and a lot of entry points for newbies to hear this for themselves. Please, pick up your game, put those 36 years of audio experience to good use.

Nothing wrong with my game, you wish you could keep up. Do your homework before opening your mouth, I'm sure I have at least one post in here detailing the differences in cables.

NEXT!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2006
    I have A/B'd my Cobalt Cables with my DH Labs Air Matrix and the difference is BIG. There is no doubt about it that the Dh Labs have tighter bass and better articulation, spacing and soundstage. I am a believer from experience but if I had not tried several different cables I could see how I would be skeptical.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited November 2006
    I have A/B'd my Cobalt Cables with my DH Labs Air Matrix and the difference is BIG. There is no doubt about it that the Dh Labs have tighter bass and better articulation, spacing and soundstage. I am a believer from experience but if I had not tried several different cables I could see how I would be skeptical.

Was it a blind test?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2006
    Why not set up "CABLES: DOES IT MATTER?" test at the next polk fest?

I've never been there, but do they have a theater room with seating that a bunch of ppl can sit down ?

If so, I'm sure they have some high quality cables there and then try a pair of nice $50-75 cables and see if the people in the room can tell the difference...

I think that would pretty much shut everyone up and end this argument thats been going on ever since i first registered on this forum 5 years ago
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited November 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Was it a blind test?

No. But the difference was not subtle.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2006
    I hear a difference. I also could care less if others don't.

Nothing will shut people up on this issue. My attitude in regards to Polkfest has been (at the ones I've hosted) that I'm not there to change anyone's mind in regards to cable and wire nor is that the purpose of Polkfest.

I also think that in an HT setting, the differences are harder to discern for a number of reasons. One being too many things to pay attention to. Two, HT gear is, generally speaking, lower fidelity gear and therefore less of a convincing demo for that sort of thing.

Again, if you believe that everything that is audible must have a corresponding measurment, than it's unlikely that anything will change your mind.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2006
    "I have a catalog in front of me and I see real hot specials. How does $175 for a power cord sound? Or even $649? No way those are cheap… let us look at one for $1,995.00 yeah nearly two grand for a dumb power cable that this company claims will almost cure the common cold if asked to do so! If $1,995 is too much they have a slightly less expensive model at $998.00 – wow what a bargain. There is another company offering what they call the “Magic Power Cord” at a steal of a price of $1,499.99 for 1.8 metres (5.85 feet). The reporter who “tested” the cable said “The first thing I notice is the presentation becomes BIG, stage width, depth and the space between instruments all seem larger, images are more solidly located in space and don’t wonder about” I think this dude has been wondering about himself. It performs magic on your wallet and that is about all it does. It lifts the Dollar bills right out of your back pocket without you being aware."

Ignorance with an agenda sums up that statement. Lets pretend he is a democrat and we are all republicans. Lets follow his thought process.

Prove that we are familiar, know they are out there and people buy them. (refering to seeing in a magazine as he has probably never been within a quarter mile of a good power cable)

Start out small ($175 and then go to the extremes so everyone believes it is a nutty thing)

Throw in the word "Magic" to keep the minds moving over to the crazy side.

Put quotes around "tested" to induce doubt. Who "tests" a $2500 power cable anyway, I'm sure it probably works...

Question the guys manhood to capture that audience...

Now, for the finale, tell them they are being ripped off. Do it in a funny sort of way so they think I'm on their side, not laughing at them. Maybe they will ignore the issue completely and just agree with me because I'm a nice guy.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2006
    I think a cable test at Polkfest would be a bad idea. Polkfest is about getting together, drinking, having fun, drinking, listening to great music and drinking. I think a cable test would cause too much friction and could ruin an otherwise great weekend.

As for my beliefs on cables, I subscribe to Maha FrankZ's teachings:
    Frank Z wrote:
    My ears - no difference
    Your ears - not my problem
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MSALLA
    edited November 2006
    I don't care what kind of improvment it makes. I'm never going to pay 1499.00 for a power cord. If it will make my music sound better, give me "oral" as I listen to the music, make me something to eat and a drink when I'm done, I'm still not going to pay that much.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    Harmony 880
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    If a tree falls in the forest does it make a noise?:rolleyes: ;):p:D
    WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    PolkThug wrote:
    Cables make a HUGE difference, that can't be measured. :confused::D

Rock on
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited November 2006
    Let's run with the "everything that is audible must have a corresponding measurment" idea. We can measure watts, one watt is one watt. However, that doesn't tell us how that watt sounds when all is said and done. We can measure THD and tube amps always have a higher THD rating, yet a large number of folks find that tube amps sound better than sand amps.

Measurements are a rough guide, nothing more. Your ears are the ultimate authority.

The bottom line is that if you're relying on specs alone to judge how a piece of audio gear (that includes cables) sounds, you are selling yourself short and are in this hobby for the wrong reason.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2006
    "I of course assume that your speaker run is not 3Km (1.8 miles) long which may act as an antenna."

How did he even make this stuff up? :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited November 2006
    This was suggested for one of the PF's. So many people said that they would boycott it that it was promptly dropped!:eek:

There is NO way to end this debate. People believe what they want to believe, people hear what they want to hear.

The ultimate decider for me is MONEY! I gained an improvement in sound when I upgraded my wires from what came in the box with the equipment to Blue Jeans Cable. Are there other wires out there that will improve it even more? Probably, but I will never know because I'm NOT interested in spending that kind of money to find out!

And if there wasn't an improvement I would be PISSED that I wasted my hard earned money on something that didn't make an improvement.

And since I'm not one to convince myself I did hear an improvement just to justify the expense I don't have to worry or obsess about it!

Therefore, I'M HAPPY!!!!:D

exalted512 wrote:
    Why not set up "CABLES: DOES IT MATTER?" test at the next polk fest?

I've never been there, but do they have a theater room with seating that a bunch of ppl can sit down ?

If so, I'm sure they have some high quality cables there and then try a pair of nice $50-75 cables and see if the people in the room can tell the difference...

I think that would pretty much shut everyone up and end this argument thats been going on ever since i first registered on this forum 5 years ago
    -Cody
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2006
    "And we'll have fun, fun, fun till her daddy takes her T-Bird away"

The majority of the people that hear the difference, have much higher resolution 2-CHANNEL systems than those who don't. That is not a knock on ANYONE'S rig, AT ALL, just the truth. I doubt very much that many will/can tell a noticeable difference in an HT system ran through the average receiver and generic dvdp or the 2-channel listener that is using a receiver and generic cdp. I was once on the cables don't matter "much" side of things, but as my system got higher and higher resolution gear, the differences became much more apparent. Now I'm not saying that you have to spend $2K on a power cord, but a nice $100-200 cord can make a slight difference in the right rig. ICs are a little different story than the power cords, as I have heard noticeable improvements in those and in those in the same price category(no brands will be mentioned as not to hurt anyone's feelings). But, in my experience, the speaker cables were where I had the most improvement, but there again, one doesn't need to spend stupid money for those to get good results, either. Just for example, the PS Audio X-Stream Statement bi-wires I have had a list price of over $1300 and on close-out were bought for around $400...just to show you the mark-up some of the retailers have out there in the marketplace. If one is patient and doesn't have to be the first on the block to have something, they can usually get a pretty good deal on something, either on close-out or used.

One other thing that always gets to me is that some of these "engineers" tend to forget that people aren't friggin machines, meters, o-scopes, etc...and we all are different in just about every way possibly imagineable.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2006
    Sound is measureable, even sounds that are too low or too high for human ears to hear. Remember, all the music you enjoy on your records, was recorded with a microphone. Then when we put that music on CD's, it becomes all numbers. You can compare measured output from your speakers and compare it to the CD data to see how accurate your system is (Disclaimer: You may not like what you find).

Measuring audible results from different speakers, crossovers and speaker placement can be a lot of fun, just don't spend more time measuring than actually listening to music. Measuring audible differences is a necessary element of speaker building, just ask Polk Audio.

However, the simple frequency sweep techniques used to measure the above don't seem to apply to interconnects. :) The best chance you have at catching a difference from an interconnect, if doing so floats your boat, is to create a waterfall output as fast as your computer can sample, but don't call me to help you interpret your data. :D

Keep on keepin' on!
  • ND13
    edited November 2006
    Noone is saying that some scope/meter/puter can or can't measure a difference.:rolleyes:

ALL WE ARE SAYING....IS GIVE YOUR EARS A CHANCE
  • PolkThug
    edited November 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    Noone is saying that some scope/meter/puter can or can't measure a difference.:rolleyes:

Nobody asked you to quote the Beach Boys either. :rolleyes:
    ND13 wrote:
    "And we'll have fun, fun, fun till her daddy takes her T-Bird away"
  • ND13
    edited November 2006
    I'll quote whomever I please. Like John Lennon, kinda sorta.

Noone is trying to pick a fight with you. Go smoke some unsuspecting Camaro or Trans AM.:p
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited November 2006
    I'm thinking the Beatles...:p
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2006
    Excellent responses.

I am certainly with Cathy on the budget and waste of money if no improvement camp.

RT1